New US Bishops: Portland in Oregon Auxiliary

This morning the Holy See announced the decision of Pope Francis to name Bishop-elect Peter Leslie Smith as Auxiliary Bishop of Portland in Oregon, USA and titular bishop of Tubunae in Mauretania.

Thank you for posting this news. I’ve followed Archbishop Sample for several years now (from Fr. Z’s site) and am glad he has this additional support in his duties.

amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

God loves to be resisted in His displeasure, and to be restrained by the humble from inflicting punishment… One saint will often save a nation; so true is it that humble souls are the hinges on which God moves the world.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, The Groundwork of the Christian Virtues, 1882.

We’re certainly excited about a new bishop here! And Bishop-elect Smith will have some great examples in Archbishop Sample and Bishop Cary (Baker Diocese).

:signofcross:This is wonderful news and a great blessing to our Archdiocese … :thumbsup:

I know Bishop Elect Peter Smith … he is a wonderful faith filled servant of our Lord …

Archbishop Sample will be very grateful for this selection by Pope Francis …and Bishop Elect Peter Smith will be an asset to the archdiocese… :yup:

Everyone I know who also knows Father Peter feels the same :thumbsup:

We are praying for you Peter and for our Archbishop Sample too :signofcross:

Here is a little background information about the new bishop.

*The bishop-designate was born in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa in 1958 and was ordained a priest in 2001, and has served in a variety of pastoral roles, including priest of St. Rose of Lima parish in Portland, as the Archdiocesan delegate for the charismatic movement, adjunct judicial vicar, local superior of the Brotherhood of the People of Praise and vice chair of the Presbyteral council.

He holds a degree in law from the University of Natal Law School, a master’s in theology from the Mount Angel Seminary in Saint Benedict, Ore., a bachelor’s degree in theology from the St. Anselm Pontifical Athenaeum, Rome, and a licentiate in canon law from the Catholic University of America in Washington, U.S.A.

Currently serving as vicar general and moderator of the Curia, bishop-elect Smith will assist Archbishop Alexander K. Sample in his duties running the diocese.*
catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/bsmithpl.html

According to the link in the first post, Bishop-elect Leslie-Smith has been a priest of the Diocese of Portland since his ordination in 2001.

Here is the official statement from Archbishop Sample:

“This is news of great joy for the local Church here in the Archdiocese of Portland. Bishop-elect Smith has been a trusted and invaluable co-worker with me ever since I appointed him Vicar General early into my time here as the new Archbishop. He is a man of deep faith, great intellect and practical wisdom. He is also well respected by the clergy, religious and faithful of western Oregon. I look forward to having him by my side as an Auxiliary Bishop to assist me in caring for the Lord’s flock in this historic Archdiocese. I am grateful to Bishop-elect Smith for accepting Pope Francis’ call to be a bishop. He will have my prayers, friendship and support.”
archdpdx.org/newsrel/auxiliary_bishop.html

*Smith said he will continue with his current roles while also taking on the new job.

He also thanked his family and his time with Saint Vicent de Paul, doing refugee work in South Africa, for making him who he is today.*
nwcn.com/news/oregon?fId=248426721&fPath=/home&fDomain=10202

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.