New version of female condom touted

NEW YORK - Advocates of the female condom are promoting a less costly, more user-friendly version that they hope will vastly expand its role in the global fight against AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases.

An early version of the female condom was introduced in 1993, and it remains the only available woman-initiated form of protection against both STDs and unintended pregnancy. Yet despite global promotion by the United Nations and other organizations, its usage is still minuscule, even as women bear an ever-growing share of the AIDS epidemic.

msnbc.msn.com/id/30250550/

Just what we need! More artificial contraception! Oh how I long for the days when the old Comstock laws would be reintroduced. :thumbsup:

:confused:
As the article states, female condoms are unlikely to used in the US. They are too awkward, and less convenient than other contraception available.

I think the target population are the women of the Global South, particular in sub-Saharan Africa, in areas where pharmaceutical contraceptives are much less available. However, I don’t think the new female condom will be much use there, either.

Regardless of what the target population is, artificial contraceptives are morally wrong and should not be made or used.

it remains the only available woman-initiated form of protection against both STDs and unintended pregnancy

I can imagine the world waking up in 2050 to read this headline in the newspaper:

“ABSTINENCE: NEW PROTECTION FOUND!”

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/2a0aeea4-5148-4aa3-9ede-ed48e4488e2d.widec.jpg

Now that’s a real turn on. :rolleyes:

Did they make one for gays? They could use it more than heteros.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.