New work schedule and Sunday Mass attendance

The department I work in has modified our support hours. Part of may involve weekend work with times that may prevent me from going to Mass. At least I have a job as my type of work doesn't have many jobs with normal Monday to Friday hours with weekends off that I am qualified to do. Am I committing a sin if I can't go to any Mass eligible for Sunday obligation due to my work schedule not being favorable?

[quote="MissRose73, post:1, topic:313067"]
The department I work in has modified our support hours. Part of may involve weekend work with times that may prevent me from going to Mass. At least I have a job as my type of work doesn't have many jobs with normal Monday to Friday hours with weekends off that I am qualified to do. Am I committing a sin if I can't go to any Mass eligible for Sunday obligation due to my work schedule not being favorable?

[/quote]

You can go on Saturday. I don't know about your work schedule nor the mass hours during the week. One time I missed church bc I had to work. I didn't confess til a month later. ( I know I was procrastinating with something really important like confession and asking for forgiveness) when I confessed I told the priest and he said if you came Monday or Tuesday it would of counted.

You should ask your priest about what I said and hopefully it works

There's usually a pretty wide range of available Mass times, from Saturday afternoon/evening through Sunday night. Check www.masstimes.org to see about parishes close to where you live or work. Hopefully there will be something that will fit with your work schedule even if it's not at your usual parish.

[/quote]

Ask if your schedule could include time to go to Mass. Hopefully you will be able to find a time on Saturday evening, Sunday morning or Sunday evening. But, if you cannot you simply need to talk to your pastor who can dispense you from your obligation.

This is not correct. The obligation is to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. If one cannot attend Mass on Sunday, for example due to sickness, there is no obligation. If one has a serious reason to miss Mass, such as your work schedule, then your pastor can dispense you from the obligation. Attending Mass on Monday or Tuesday is a nice thing to do, but it does not fulfill the Sunday obligation.

[/quote]

You state legitimate reason to miss mass. I would suggest you present this to your priest who can give you permission to miss Mass.

You can go on Saturday. I don't know about your work schedule nor the mass hours during the week. One time I missed church bc I had to work. I didn't confess til a month later. ( I know I was procrastinating with something really important like confession and asking for forgiveness) when I confessed I told the priest and he said if you came Monday or Tuesday it would of counted.

Counted for what? The priest doesn't make the rules:nope: The obligation is to participate at mass either anticipatory or on Sunday. There is no such thing or on a Monday or Tuesday:mad:

QUESTION: If the individual can't go to mass because of work and is unable to get time in their work day to go to mass (tried everything they could to get there)....... I know they can get a dispensation and perhaps go another day to satisfy their obligation.

My question is: Don't they have to go talk to the bishop for this dispensation, not just their parish priest ?

Thanks.

Michael

[quote="MichaelHowling, post:7, topic:313067"]
QUESTION: If the individual can't go to mass because of work and is unable to get time in their work day to go to mass (tried everything they could to get there)....... I know they can get a dispensation and perhaps go another day to satisfy their obligation.

My question is: Don't they have to go talk to the bishop for this dispensation, not just their parish priest ?

Thanks.

Michael

[/quote]

There is no way that attending mass on another day will satisfy the obligation. However, there are many good reasons that one cannot fulfill the obligation, sickness and young children are two. The dispensation may be given by the parish priest. I am not even sure that you need it because of missing for a just cause. But to ease your mind it is good to talk to your priest.

QUESTION: If the individual can't go to mass because of work and is unable to get time in their work day to go to mass (tried everything they could to get there)....... I know they can get a dispensation and perhaps go another day to satisfy their obligation

[/quote]

Another day cannot satisfy the obligation. You either satisfy the obligation via the anticipatd Mass on Saturday or Masson Sunday-- or you don't.

[/quote]

No. Their pastor can dispense them.

[quote="1ke, post:4, topic:313067"]
Ask if your schedule could include time to go to Mass. Hopefully you will be able to find a time on Saturday evening, Sunday morning or Sunday evening. But, if you cannot you simply need to talk to your pastor who can dispense you from your obligation.

[/quote]

I have asked, and chances are not good to get a schedule modification at this time. At least I did not force the issue, and said I would like to fulfill my obligation for Mass but at same time I must honor the needs of my boss, being employed & paying my bills over Mass attendance for some time.

I will ask for a dispensation but I am sure I am not the only person in this situation. I am searching my diocese's website for a Mass time that allows me to go to Mass first then work my required weekend time of 9:30am to 6:00pm but with no luck so far of anything close to my home and office.

My husband often has to work weekends. If at all possible, he'll attend whichever mass he can. Sometimes, it's just not possible.

MissRose

There's a mass at st john vianney in flint at 7pm Sunday... I know its a drive... But it might work for ya.

[quote="1ke, post:5, topic:313067"]
This is not correct. The obligation is to attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. If one cannot attend Mass on Sunday, for example due to sickness, there is no obligation. If one has a serious reason to miss Mass, such as your work schedule, then your pastor can dispense you from the obligation. Attending Mass on Monday or Tuesday is a nice thing to do, but it does not fulfill the Sunday obligation.

[/quote]

Two quick questions:

1. Can one's pastor oblige a person to attend on a Monday or Tuesday independent of the dispensation he gave?

2. Can one's pastor condition the dispensation on subsequent attendance to a weekday daily Mass?

Thanks

[quote="xixxvmcm85, post:13, topic:313067"]
Two quick questions:

1. Can one's pastor oblige a person to attend on a Monday or Tuesday independent of the dispensation he gave?

2. Can one's pastor condition the dispensation on subsequent attendance to a weekday daily Mass?

Thanks

[/quote]

No, a pastor does not have the authorityto create a day of obligation.

I wouldn't fret about it too much. You can contact your local diocese to find some parishes in your area. Some dioceses have webpages that list them and you can find an alternative time. These days jobs are difficult to find therefore if the only time you can attend mass is on a week day, do that and pray that God will open the doors to return to regular sunday mass soon.

[quote="SecretGarden, post:15, topic:313067"]
I wouldn't fret about it too much. You can contact your local diocese to find some parishes in your area. Some dioceses have webpages that list them and you can find an alternative time. These days jobs are difficult to find therefore if the only time you can attend mass is on a week day, do that and pray that God will open the doors to return to regular sunday mass soon.

[/quote]

Miss Rose and I are in the same diocese... and it's a rather large diocese in our state. I've checked. I think almost all of the parishes have only 1 scheduled mass on Sat evening and 1 scheduled Mass on Sunday morning. We have a SERIOUS shortage of vocations here. Most of our priests have to cover 2-3 parishes or even more. I think this is also why only a handful of parishes in the diocese will even have daily masses.

Of course, I know you have know way of knowing this about the diocese here.

[quote="AdDeum, post:16, topic:313067"]
Miss Rose and I are in the same diocese... and it's a rather large diocese in our state. I've checked. I think almost all of the parishes have only 1 scheduled mass on Sat evening and 1 scheduled Mass on Sunday morning. We have a SERIOUS shortage of vocations here. Most of our priests have to cover 2-3 parishes or even more. I think this is also why only a handful of parishes in the diocese will even have daily masses.

Of course, I know you have know way of knowing this about the diocese here.

[/quote]

I was able to find a 8am Mass at a parish close to my work place, as I have to be at the office by 9:30am. As long as they keep that time, I can go to Mass then work.

[quote="MissRose73, post:17, topic:313067"]
I was able to find a 8am Mass at a parish close to my work place, as I have to be at the office by 9:30am. As long as they keep that time, I can go to Mass then work.

[/quote]

Wonderful MissRose! Glad to hear that you will still be able to get to Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.