New York businesses face hefty penalties for ‘misgendering’ customers

washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/18/de-blasio-fine-businesses-wrong-gender-pronouns/

Greeting customers as “Mr.” or “Mrs.” — or even not using the pronoun “ze” or “zir” — could prove costly for New York City businesses under rules drafted by Mayor Bill de Blasio’s bureaucrats.

The Gotham mayor’s Commission on Human Rights says entities that fail to address customers by their preferred gender pronouns and titles are in violation of the law and could be subject to penalties of up to $250,000.

Ah, the fruits of equality. All ideas have equal merit no matter how bereft of reason. Deny the reality before your eyes or suffer the consequences.

For the record, I prefer that you all address me as “Your Lordship” Getting on your knees and kissing my boots would help me not feel offended, too.

Sometimes you think that you must be dreaming because in the real world nothing this stupid would really happen. And yet, here we are.

The Eighth Amendment (that’s the “cruel and unusual” amendment) orbids “excessive fines.” $250,000 for failing to use a fake pronoun would seem to fit that definition. Impossible to believe that this regulation would survive a court challenge.

I’m going by Master these days. So you guys better watch it! :wink:

I kind of like “Squire” myself. I’ll not pretend to a title of nobility, being a humble fellow and all. “Squire” is a title for commoners of the landowning gentry, but it does allow me to speak to a member of the nobility if I need to. Someday I might need to.

Just don’t make the mistake of calling me “Sirrah”. That’s an Elizabethan term of derision.

(As a possibly interesting aside, the term “Esquire” which sometimes still follows the name of a lawyer, is a form of the term “Squire”. Since many or most lawyers in olden times were commoners, they couldn’t address their “betters” without at least being “Squires”. So lawyers were automatically “Squires” or Esquires even if they didn’t own land, so they could talk to judges, witnesses and clients of the nobility. So if you didn’t know that before, now you do. :))

This is like the Orwellian thought police from Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Yes, I highly doubt this would survive a court challenge. It would probably be a violation of the first amendment as well.

Gosh, and here I just got done teaching: Mr., Mrs., Miss, and Ms. to my English-as-a-Second-Language students! If they ever work in the US, they could end up in big trouble!

My chosen pronoun is ∫ f’(x) dx = f(b)-f(a) [a,b].

The artist formerly known as Prince deliberately chose an unpronounceable symbol. How would the mayor address him? It must be fun to live in New York. It is as nutty as California without the sunshine.

Honestly, this is a case where just about everyone would be subject to getting fined eventually. I mean, sure, they can put the regulation into a city code, but guarantee that within less than a month, their courts are going to be absolutely swarmed with people being fined for using the wrong pronoun or title. I mean, come on!

Regardless, I see this getting to the Supreme Court of NY rather quickly - and if not resolved there, taken to SCOTUS, where even Ruth Bader Ginsburg would probably find this quite ridiculous.

I always thought Master was for young men under the age of twelve. Congrats on finding the Fountain of Youth.

I have always preferred Empress of the Universe. That is highest next to Emperor. I figure if I get to choose my title, I ought to go all out. :hypno:

Yeah. I sort of wanted to be young again. :rolleyes:

I thought misgendering was the order of the day. Men want to be women. Women want to be men. Facebook has fifty plus gender assignments available. What does the Mayor, or his Lordship, have against misgendering? It’s quite popular.

:smiley:

I prefer “Mawthter.”

Seriously, though, this is moonbat-crazy.

Your pronoun is harshly closed to personal expression and inflexibly demands continuity with fundamental truths. :smiley:

When and if I ever get back to New York I will be calling everyone hey you.:doh2:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.