(New York) Primary, What You Need To Know About The Jews Of New York

About 1 in 10 New Yorkers is Jewish

New York state has about 1.75 million Jews, comprising approximately 9 percent of its total population of 20 million. Nearly all the Jews live in or around New York City, with 1.1 million in the five boroughs — 561,000 in Brooklyn, 240,000 in Manhattan, 198,000 in Queens, 54,000 in the Bronx and 32,000 on Staten Island, according to a landmark 2011 population study by UJA-Federation of New York. That’s more Jews than in any other city in the world, including in Israel. Another 450,000 live in suburban Westchester and Long Island’s Nassau and Suffolk counties, according to the study, and at least 130,000 Jews live in nearby Rockland and Orange counties, according to locals’ estimates and census data. Approximately one of every three non-Hispanic whites living in New York City is Jewish.

The Orthodox are growing – fast

Of the New York metro area’s 1.55 million Jews, 493,000 identify as Orthodox (that’s 32 percent), 396,000 are denominationally or religious unaffiliated (26 percent), 303,000 are Reform (20 percent) and 280,000 are Conservative (19 percent), according to the 2011 study. While the proportion of Orthodox households among Jewish households in the New York area is surging, from 13 percent in 1991 to 20 percent in 2011, the shares of Conservative and Reform households are falling – for Conservative, from 34 percent in 1991 to 19 percent in 2011, and for Reform from 36 percent in 1991 to 23 percent in 2011. Astoundingly, 61 percent of all Jewish children in the New York metro area are being raised in Orthodox households. Reflecting the growth of the Orthodox, who have an average of 4.1 children, the New York metro area has about 500,000 Jews under age 25.
New York Jews are less Democratic than Jews nationally . . .**

In metropolitan New York, however, only 55 percent of Jews say they lean Democratic and 31 percent lean Republican. That’s largely because of New York’s large Orthodox population, which is more Republican than the rest of the Jewish community. Nationally, about 58 percent of haredi Orthodox and 56 percent of modern Orthodox Jews identify as Republican, compared to 27 percent of Conservative Jews and 17 percent of Reform Jews, according to the Pew Research Center’s 2013 survey of U.S. Jews.

Read more at thejewishweek.com/news/new-york/what-you-need-know-about-jews-new-york-ahead-primary#4oQW1FFUrkr1Uukq.99

Demographic information about the Jewish population in New York state from The Jewish Week.

interesting how the Orthodox numbers are growing and Conservative and Reform are falling.

Thanks for the interesting information. I heard that a sizable proportion of Orthodox Jews voted for Ted Cruz in the New York primary. No comment there.

Maybe if more Jews vote Republican, there will be less anti-Semitism on the right.

What do you mean?

The far-right tends to be anti-Semitic. Maybe those on the far-right will soften their stance if more Jews were Republican.

Maybe, but I’m not really sure that would make much of a difference. There are also some on the far-left who are anti-Semitic. Regardless, Jews, like everyone else, should vote according to their beliefs, which apparently are very diverse. They should not try to appease those who have anti-Semitic views.

I didn’t realize there was any anti-semitism on the right or conservative side. what do you base this claim on?

There’s always a poll out there that says jews are moving to the Republican Party. Oddly enough it seems to happen during the lead up to every Presidential election. In the end though, invariably jews break 90 to 99% for [insert Democrat candidate here]. They’re a statistically irrelevant segment of the electorate who will never vote for anybody or anything besides a Democrat. It matters not how pro-Israel the Republican Party ever becomes. Apart from the occasional neo-con surge, jews will not vote Republican.

And guys, don’t kid yourselves. There are anti-semites on the left who dislike jews for reasons totally unrelated to the anti-semites on the right. Heck, you can even find anti-semitic libertarians, believe it or not. They’re on all sides of the political landscape.

Well, some people might call skinheads and Aryan nation types right-wing and they are definitely anti-Semitic. I don’t consider them right-wing; I think they are wingless wackos.

:smiley:

:thumbsup:

I’d also like to say that conservatives, who are also more likely to be Christian, tend to support Israel - thus they support Jews.

I can’t reread everything, but I think the opposite was said up there somewhere.

it’s liberals who are always saying that all the problems faced by Israel is their own fault.
Interesting how they were able to build a nation and the Palestinians weren’t. Of course, they blame the Jews. It’s never one’s own fault. Just like in the book of Genesis…

GG

Do you have any solid information to back up your statement? Please share, if so.

I tend to agree with this.

Conservative Christians tend to support Israel 100%.

Our old friend Jack Chick, certainly a conservative Christian, has a tract on his website encouraging support of Israel.

It is true that Jewish Americans tend to skew toward Democrats, but that’s not inconsistent with conservative Christians supporting Israel.

I’ve observed that, too; the people who don’t support Israel in the Middle East tend to be left of center.

Jews have been gravitating toward the Republican Party over the years, and not only Orthodox Jews. I think the 90 - 99% figure you give is too high. Maybe it was so a generation or two ago but not today.

That’s nice to hear.
Why would anyone vote for someone who does not like them?
Look at Obama. It’s disgraceful how he has decided to abandon Israel.
an ally for years and our best friend in the region. Maybe if the Republicans win, Netanyahu will be able to return to the white house and have diaglogue.

GG

I did not know that. Interesting. Thanks for sharing that information.

Lots of folks on the far right abhor Jews and Muslims. This is based on for example some of the views of members of sites like stromfront.

Neocon support is conditional at best. Generally it comes down to whether or not the Republicans are ready to fight another trillion dollar war to protect Israel. If the answer is no, they become quite vocal in their distaste for that Republican candidate.

If it helps clarify party affiliation, I lean Republican (for lack of a better option), believe in non-intervention and support a free Palestine.

really? can you cite a resource for that statement. what is stromfront?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.