New York Rabbis go on armed self-defense courses

I hear quite a bit about taking guns into churches, here is a slightly different twist, and apparently based on the realities of the times we live it. Most of the churches I hear about that have armed guards, etc, are typically Protestant “mega-churches” but I know of a few smaller Protestant congregations here in Indiana with specified security people in the services. I am aware of at least one Catholic Church where the Priest wears a concealed gun, but don’t know of any Catholic churches where parishioners act as armed security guards.
[INDENT]New York Rabbis go on armed self-defense courses
Gun-toting rabbis in New York are going on synagogue defence courses to learn how to deal with a terrorist attack.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6140716/New-York-Rabbis-go-on-armed-self-defence-courses.html
By Tom Leonard in New York
Published: 9:03PM BST 04 Sep 2009

The self-defence classes are run by the International Security Coalition of Clergy, a group set up by Gary Moscowitz, a Queens rabbi and former police officer.

Practising with toy pistols, fellow rabbis and other worshippers are taught basic techniques such as bringing down an assailant by the neck or using a table as cover from gunfire.
. . .
“Jews are not like Christians. If I turn my cheek, I’m coming around to make a kick.” Stuart Rosenberg, who provides martial arts training for the group, said: “Our idea is you can’t be spiritual if you’re dead. You have to be able to fight back to live another day.”
. . .
the FBI regularly issued synagogues with terror alerts.
. . .[/INDENT]

The sickness that is anti-Semitism leads some to attack Jewish targets. Armed assailants have hit Jewish organizations in the United States before and, given the realities of terrorist attacks, could again. I pray that never happens, but I certainly understand being prepared to defend lives with force if it is necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.