New York's 15-Foot No Speech Abortion Bubble Zone Bill Denounced as "Unconstitutional"

By Hilary White NEW YORK, September 29, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Speaker of the New York City Council announced last week a bill that would remove legal protections for those engaged in peaceful protests outside New York abortion facilities. Speaker Christine Quinn, head of the New…

Full article…

15 feet? LOL I can beat that. My voice really carries! We should welcome this. Now we can legally yell at the top of our lungs at a protest

15 feet is hardly an unconstitutional restriction of speech.

Don’t get me started on the passive voice in article’s headline.

Why not?
Did you notice that Christine Quinn has changed abortions to ‘woman’s right to access health care’?

What will the proAborts do to proLifers next?
Another round of RICO lawsuits?

It is amazing to me that all these unrepentant wicked people today actually believe they WON’T go to Hell for all eternity for what they are doing.

It is amazing to me that all these unrepentant wicked people today actually believe they WON’T go to Hell for all eternity for what they are doing.

It’s amazing to me that people like you can say things like this with a clear conscience. :shrug:

[quote="Benedictus]15 feet is hardly an unconstitutional restriction of speech.
[/quote]

Here is a recent article of a 35-foot restriction upheld in Massachusetts. At the Denver Democratic National Convention a protest zone was I believe a block or two away from the convention site, and this was upheld. And in the periodic stories about protests at soldiers’ funerals, various states passed laws restricting protests within a distance of the funeral or procession. I seem to recall a distance of 300 feet or so in one state (Kentucky, maybe?). We discussed this at length, but unfortunately moderators deleted the thread. It was however the predominant view here that such a distance would be constitutional. I disagreed, and I think distances that great were in one or more cases ruled unconstitutional.

So 15 feet seems a trifle by comparison, even in a more compact business district like much of Manhattan.

I was talking about Benidictus’ statement: “Don’t get me started on the passive voice in article’s headline.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.