Newark teacher who wrote nasty, threatening tweets given reprimand

San Jose Mercury News:

Newark teacher who wrote nasty, threatening tweets given reprimand

NEWARK – On her Twitter feed, a Newark Memorial High School teacher described in explicit terms her desires for her students. She wanted to pour coffee on them. She wanted to stab them. Some of them, she said, “make my trigger finger itchy.”

Alerted by one of her colleagues to the tweets – which are laced with profanity and racist remarks – the district disciplined teacher Krista Hodges with a written reprimand, and she continues to teach. Hodges has apologized, saying she meant none of it seriously. But some in the school community are stunned by the turn of events, given the alarming sentiments the teacher expressed.

Among them:
[snip]

Tim Erwin, interim superintendent of Newark Unified School District, confirmed there was an investigation into Hodges’ online messages. Erwin would not detail the discipline, but Hodges confirmed she received a written reprimand.

“The only thing I can say is we were made aware of it, and we followed our policies and procedures and that investigation has concluded,” Erwin said. “I cannot get into any specifics as to any steps that were taken due to the fact that it’s a personnel matter.”

He added that he consulted California education law, school board policy and the teacher’s union contract to guide him in deciding discipline for Hodges.

When told about the tweets, school board President Nancy Thomas said, “I’m speechless. Oh dear.”

She said Erwin told her about the disciplinary measures Monday, nearly two months after the fact, but did not tell her what the tweets said. Thomas declined to comment on whether the written reprimand was appropriate, saying the school board lets administrators handle personnel issues, unless they come before the board.

Quite a contrast to this story, no?

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=905814

I believe she meant no harm, but also that she lacks the judgement to be teaching in high school. All of her students should understand the consequences of online posting before they get to high school.

All online posting is subject to public scrutiny. People need to get some brains. Anyone who is a teacher should know better, and if they don’t they might think of a different career. In this case one in which she does not have to deal with people or animals at all.

To all teachers, friends and family of teachers, people who teach teachers, and anyone who thinks they may ever want to be a teacher…

NEVER post ANYTHING negative about your students or your school on your personal social media accounts. And if you must communicate with your students and their parents on social media, NEVER post ANYTHING about your personal life on your “teacher” account. NEVER “friend” anyone from your professional life on your personal account and NEVER “friend” anyone from your personal life onto your professional account. Then you will not get into trouble.

A teacher even needs to be careful regarding what they post about politics and education philosophy. The current powers that be in education are by and large progressives in terms of pedagogy (and politics), and some of them are not shy about targeting teachers who vary from the “party line”.
I am quite critical of the progressive movement in American public education, which has a 100 year track record of failure, beginning with John Dewey, but I try to reserve that criticism to anonymous sites such as CAF.
Even worse is a criticism of Arne Duncan. :eek:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.