Newly converted

I was told that when I do get babitized, that my first confession,I have to go back to the age of 5 years old, And confess all the sins I can remember. I am 56. I though that once I am babitized my sin are totally forgiven, and from that point on ,I would need to confess. :confused:
Could some one please tell what is the correct thing to do. ty

Have you ever been baptized before?

Yes , but about 8 years ago, but the Father wants to redo it ,I forget what he called it. But I was babitized by Father,son and holy ghost. Was totally under the water in a beauitful Lake

By which community, Baptist, Lutheran etc?

Just became Catholic as well. If you have been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, you will need to confess as much as you can before Easter. My friend who also joined the church had to; he wrote his confession down prior. He wasn't rebaptized but if the priest wants you for a good reason you can be... I suggest fasting two days before!! Read about that in the complete text of the Didache. Don't worry, the Holy Spirit will help you with your confession ;) Write part of it down one day, skip a day, go over it, skip a day, edit again.. Take your time... The Catholic Church surely does!! ;)

Jess

[quote="tradcatholic9, post:1, topic:290396"]
I was told that when I do get babitized, that my first confession,I have to go back to the age of 5 years old, And confess all the sins I can remember. I am 56. I though that once I am babitized my sin are totally forgiven, and from that point on ,I would need to confess. :confused:
Could some one please tell what is the correct thing to do. ty

[/quote]

First, welcome home! :thumbsup:

Your priest probably wants to "re-baptize" you just in case your first baptism wasn't valid. I'm sure he probably has good reason for this.
That being said, you can't really be "re-baptized." Baptism is a one-and-done thing. So IF your first baptism was valid, then you need to confess all the (grave) sins you can recall since then. And even if it WASN'T valid, and your "second" baptism is the real thing (which would forgive all your sins), since there's no real way to know for sure, it is still best to confess just in case.

ok so if I understand all the advice, (which was very much apprecated) I should fast 2 days before, Write down my sins, from 8 years ago.And noone really thinks I need to confess from age 5 and up? That was what I really wanted your opion on. I also have to be remarried. I have been married to a non practicing catholic for 37 years. But we were not married in a catholic church. wow allot going on.Hopefully the Father will marry us without him coming back to church. Cause if he not going to church how can he recieve the sacrament of marriage?:confused::confused:

I just wanted to be a cathloic:eek: wow:)

The problem lies in which denomination baptized you. Some protestant denominations have valid baptisms while others do not. Heck some Catholic Churches have performed baptisms that were not valid and resulted in the requirement that hundreds had to be re-baptized.:eek:

There is a list floating around on the internet that lists which protestant denominations perform valid baptisms and which don't. A quick google search should let you know once and for all if you really need one. Of course, if the Priests wants you to have one I would certainly go for it.

It can't hurt!:thumbsup:

thank you all, for your advice, I will carry on:) where ever god leads me:thumbsup:

I too was re-baptized and honestly it was really nice. I knew that it had more meaning this time and it just felt so new and real. As for the confession, I guess it just depends. My priest had me think about it for a few days and then said to just speak from my heart, that I would know what to say and the things to confess about. It was not easy but this HUGE weight was lifted off me. One of the most spiritual things that has ever happened to me to be honest. Congrats by the way! :)

First off, there is no being "re-baptized." It is called "conditional baptism", which means the baptism only takes effect IF your previous baptism was invalid. Second, as a convert myself, I confessed all the sins I could remember from childhood until the time I became Catholic. Granted, I was only 21 when I converted, but I still confessed every sin I could remember even though I was baptized at the age of 14.

The priest who brought me into the Church gave me a "Confession Guide", which basically is a list of questions of "Have you committed the sin of .....?" broken down by the Ten Commandments. I took these questions, and did my best to remember all the sins I had ever committed (plus the number of times of each, estimated to the best of my ability) and wrote them down on paper. Yes, it was a couple pages long.... I then brought the paper with me to my first Confession.

Even though my sins prior to my baptism were forgiven at my baptism, there is something about doing a general Confession that is very consoling (and strengthening to the soul). I even repeated the act of doing a general Confession when I first did St. Louis de Montfort's Total Consecration to Mary.

I would recommend that even though it may not be required to confess all your sins prior to your baptism, that doing so will help you grow more spiritually and lead you to greater holiness in the long run. Just my two cents.

Thank you all for the comments, It does help me more then you know. I am looking forward of being in the state of grace for the very first time in my life.
I am sure I will be here ,looking up answers, allot. '
God Bless, I will be around reading, seeing as I have no advice to give as yet. :slight_smile:

Hi. Were you told by Father that you had to confess back to the age of 5? I would hardly think so, but.. if he told you that, I'd bet he'd be more than happy to explain his reasoning.

Good Luck with all that you have going on. I'll offer you both up in prayer.

[quote="Mike30, post:8, topic:290396"]
Heck some Catholic Churches have performed baptisms that were not valid and resulted in the requirement that hundreds had to be re-baptized.:eek:

[/quote]

I am curious, do you have a source for this??
I have never heard of this happening.
Thank you!

[quote="Langiappe1, post:13, topic:290396"]
Hi. Were you told by Father that you had to confess back to the age of 5? I would hardly think so, but.. if he told you that, I'd bet he'd be more than happy to explain his reasoning.

Good Luck with all that you have going on. I'll offer you both up in prayer.

[/quote]

I was not told this to me yet, but my friend who was just babitized had to do it. The same Father she has I have too. So she told me to prepare now.She is only a few months ahead of me , Thank you for your prayers also. much needed.:blush:

[quote="tradcatholic9, post:15, topic:290396"]
I was not told this to me yet, but my friend who was just babitized had to do it. The same Father she has I have too. So she told me to prepare now.She is only a few months ahead of me , Thank you for your prayers also. much needed.:blush:

[/quote]

She could have different circumstances than you. The fact that she was told this doesn't necessarily mean that you will be.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.