News: "7 baby boys named ‘Lucifer’ in England last year."

The name is most commonly applied to the devil before his fall from grace, this article comments.

They’re going for shock value

Maybe it doesn’t mean anything bad. England has a lot of immigrants from many different countries. In some of them, “lucifer” might not have the same negative connotations.

Several years ago, there was a player for the Pittsburgh professional hockey team whose name was “Satan” and was sewn on the back of his jersey. The man was from a foreign country. Although with that name they should have traded him to the New Jersey club.

Could also be people who have been watching TV and don’t have much idea of who Lucifer is in Catholic theology. Some people see Lucifer as kind of the cool rebel against a God who just wants people to shut up and stop thinking.

Reminds me of a webcomic I read with a character named Moloch.
“What’s wrong with my name? Mom picked it out of the Bible!”
“Um, did she ever actually read a Bible?”
“With 6 boys, who has time for that?”

There is WWE wrestler named Cain, who is now a mayor in Tennessee.

Kids (mine did) ask their parents about their names,find out the meanings,why they were called that name in particular.
Some names can be a heavy burden.

Apparently there have been at least 2 Catholic bishops named Lucifer.

Pronounced “say-tan” if I remember correctly. :thinking:

More like Shuh-tahn.

Maybe they named them after the saint.

D

No one should be jumping up and down and farting sparks about something like this. It’s a distraction from things that are really evil.

Excuse me while I fart sparks

At least our culture is finally being honest.

Actually, in the Vulgate the term Lucifer is applied satirically to the King of Babylon in Isaiah 14:12; but in the NT is applied to Christ as the true light bearer or day star in Revelation 22.

Lucifer = light bearer. From the webz:

The translators of this version took the word from the Latin Vulgate, which translated הֵילֵל by the Latin word lucifer (uncapitalized), meaning “the morning star, the planet Venus”, or, as an adjective, “light-bringing”. As a name for the morning star, “Lucifer” is a proper name and is capitalized in English.

The liar and father of lies co-opted the name. Like certain people did with an adjective which means joyous and carefree.

I lol’d so hard :rofl:

There has rarely been a more gif worthy phrase nor a more perfect gif. :rofl::dash::boom:

It’s so perfect :joy::rofl:

Phenomenal job. You deserve a :clap::clap:.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.