News article--The Pro-Life Speech of Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Has Gone Viral

see cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2013/12/23/you-have-the-god-given-right-to-life/

Good for him! I don’t watch or like reality shows but these people at the real deal.

I don’t have cable so I had no idea what Duck Dynasty was until my oldest brought a DVD home from school on a visit home. It was so refreshing to see a family pray together on TV, no cussing, no sex, nothing unfit for the entire family to watch. The family is a good, Christian family and so close. All the grandkids are raised together and the mother in law isn’t evil for a change! The Robertsons are a family to admire. I was pleasantly surprised

What about his racist remarks?

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person,” Robertson told GQ writer Drew Margary. “Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field… They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!.. Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

He and his family are not starving, they are millionaires but they kill everything in sight.

Yeah I like Phil.

You have to look at his comments in the eyes of the culture of the south. He put himself in the same boat as “white trash” with the blacks. He was working along with blacks and they were in the same boat socially and economically. They were working together. He was also pointing out that despite the efforts of people like Jessie Jackson that want to portray the african american comunity as always angry, his comments were demonstrating that despite the lower class status that blacks and white trash/red necks had, they showed a deeper contentment that goes beyond the external circumstances of their situation. That is why the self promoted spokemans like Jessie Jackson are mad, because he wants this angry unhappy image which doesn’t help anyone but Jessie Jackson.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.