News story: Taiwanese bride bemoans lack of suitable men and marries herself

This is the story of a woman who didn't like the standard of men available. "What can I do?" she asked, as she prepares to marry herself. See:
www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/offbeat/102210-taiwanese-bride-marries-herself-ncx

“I’m not anti-marriage. I just hope that I can express a different idea within the bounds of a tradition.”

Lady, I think you just took the bounds, buried them, and held a party over the grave. O.o

Wow. What a crazy woman. Marriage is a tradition because the Creator gave it to us and handed it down to us by our fathers. You don't get to screw with it at all because you wan't something thats insane. The gays are much worse IMO because she is funny, and well homosexuals are just.....abominable.

I feel if they showed pics, we would know why there really is no men 'available'.

youtube.com/watch?v=MVSMUjzoVxc

[quote="KShaft, post:3, topic:217195"]

I feel if they showed pics, we would know why there really is no men 'available'.

[/quote]

I thought the EXACT SAME THING! The catty, not very-Catholic woman wants to know. I'm engaged, and I'm fat!

Dang, that could have been my plan if I was 30 and still single. Marry myself to get gifts! :p

Dang, google image search did nothing. Except I did find a picture of "Buddy the Elf".

Aw, a distraction from wedding planning! :D

That is… ridiculous.
She must be a lesbian then. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="CountrySinger, post:5, topic:217195"]
I thought the EXACT SAME THING! The catty, not very-Catholic woman wants to know. I'm engaged, and I'm fat!

Dang, that could have been my plan if I was 30 and still single. Marry myself to get gifts! :p

Dang, google image search did nothing. Except I did find a picture of "Buddy the Elf".

Aw, a distraction from wedding planning! :D

[/quote]

YAY!! Country Singer....you engaged? Me too!! YAY!!!:extrahappy::extrahappy:

[quote="belovedandbless, post:7, topic:217195"]
YAY!! Country Singer....you engaged? Me too!! YAY!!!:extrahappy::extrahappy:

[/quote]

Yep! And to a man! And the best part is that he is not imaginary! We actually met on CAF. :)

I was so happy to see that you got engaged as well. :dancing::dancing::love:

Here is her reasoning:

...Ms Chen explained that when a woman in Taiwan enters her thirties, getting married and having children becomes the main focal point among concerned family, relatives and friends, making a single, independent woman feel like a failure if she has none of those things.

Ms Chen explained that although many people freely express their love for others through flowers, chocolates and expensive dinners, they are less inclined to pamper and shower the same love on themselves. By the same token, expressing your love for a man through marriage and a huge wedding banquet should be something you're willing to do for yourself. Self-marriage seemed like the logical solution, she concluded.

straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_592523.html

Since she is unable to officially register a marriage to herself, if she does eventually find a husband to-be then she will plan another wedding.
reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69L3H720101022

So she is 'mentally' married to herself?
She must be attracted to herself physically and mentally then in a way a man should be. Thats kinda just odd....

When I read this story a few days ago, I honestly think she was doing this for shock value and also as a tongue-in-cheek way of poking fun of the cultural expectations and norms. I do find it sad that women who are single and approaching their 30's are almost coerced into considering marriage ASAP, but then again this occurs in every culture. I mean, there are some areas in the U.S. where if you are a young woman in your early 20's, but is also unmarried people act like it's a disease. I can remember when I was 20 my mom kept nagging me about when I was going to get married and how come I wasn't married. I mean, for goodness sakes! But getting married to myself would have been preposterous indeed.

She could have just done what David Weinlick did over in my area:
today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25121427

Just go to the largest mall in your area-- or country-- and the suitable men will be rolling in.

By the way, I'm also being a little tongue-in-cheek here too.

[quote="KShaft, post:3, topic:217195"]
The gays are much worse IMO because she is funny, and well homosexuals are just.....abominable.

[/quote]

Hey, be nice, the Catechism tells us to:

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition. - CCC 2358

And what part of insinuating that this girl is so ugly that she can't get a guy is charitable?

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:10, topic:217195"]
So she is 'mentally' married to herself?
She must be attracted to herself physically and mentally then in a way a man should be. Thats kinda just odd....

[/quote]

Or a narcissist.

[quote="spunjalebi, post:11, topic:217195"]

She could have just done what David Weinlick did over in my area:
today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25121427

Just go to the largest mall in your area-- or country-- and the suitable men will be rolling in.

By the way, I'm also being a little tongue-in-cheek here too.

[/quote]

Whoa! I had never heard about that. Crazy!

That is how lucifer works. spiritually she is marrying lucifer the prince of darkness.

Well, I think she married herself to make a social/cultural point... that women don't need to be married to love themselves. I'm not sure what it is like in Taiwan, but here in the US I think women get a lot more pressure to marry than men. And they are judged on the basis of their marriage/family life more than men.

But the marriage does seem a bit frivolous. Perhaps that is the good news.... that such incidents are considered to be unusual and newsworthy. There have been similar frivolous marriages, such as the Japanese man who married a video game character or the British woman who married a dolphin.

In all three cases, though, the marriages are not official. They were essentially self-indulgent uses of marriage ceremonies.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.