Newsweek Likes Swinging

catholicleague.com/chatterbox.php?#259

Newsweek Likes Swinging

July 30, 2009

Jessica Bennett, writing in a July 29 Newsweek web column on polyamory, puts the most positive face on swinging yet to appear in a mainstream media outlet. She maintains that having multiple partners among consenting adults is at the cutting edge of the new sexual revolution. The article ends with a quote from a swinger named Scott who feels sorry for the rest of us. “The people I feel sorry for are the ones who don’t ever realize they have any other choices beyond the traditional options society presents,” he says. So thoughtful.

The only problem these folks seem to acknowledge is parenting. Yes, that can be difficult at the breakfast table the next morning. As for how children fare, Bennett found a professor (we knew she would) who said the kids do just fine in poly families.

What was not mentioned, of course, is that the bed jumpers have a much higher rate of sexually transmitted diseases than the rest of us. It would be interesting to know if Scott thinks that is unfair and who is to blame. Or is genital herpes just the cost of doing business? And talking about costs, perhaps under the new health care bill we should levy a surcharge on those whose diseases are behaviorally driven. We could call it Donohue’s stimulus plan!

Copyright © 1997-2009 by Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.
*Material from this website may be reprinted and disseminated with accompanying attribution.

It’s 1968 all over again. Free love! No, it’s just sex.

firstthings.com/onthesquare/2006/08/robert-george-beyond-gay-marri

Peace,
Ed

**Don’t confuse beautiful agape love with sex!
Jeff Foxworthy said “Getting married for the sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts.”

Love is about caring and selfless sacrifice, and when that is achieved, the loving union that is achieved in sex between committed married couples is the closest thing to heaven on this earth.

But sex alone, without agape love, is just another unfulfilling bodily function.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I read this article earlier in the week. Such emptiness. These people have no idea what they are missing by dismissing the sanctity of marriage. What strikes me most is that these relationship arrangements are most focused on the need of the “self.” It is all about ones comfort and how things work for them. No emphasis on self-sacrifice and enduring for your partner.
What is most disturbing is the fact that there are children involved. The children live with all of these strange sexual relationships going on in the next room. I truly feel sorry for these kids and feel that they are being abused by being in such an environment.

Just confirmation why I won’t read Newsweek or Time magazine. Thay are so far left…

I never really understood “left” or “right.” This is about the flesh and satisfying the flesh. God told us how we should go about dealing with our sexuality. This is just adultery and fornication marketing. Don’t follow the crowd in doing evil.

Peace,
Ed

Thanks for this eye opening article…and I didn’t think it could get any worse. Think again.

The Free Love of the sixties resulted in the herpes epidemics of the seventies, and AIDS was its death knell.

I guess trying to legalise polygamy is inevitable. :frowning:
And it won’t result in being truly happy either.

The goal of feminist ideology is to free women from the double bondage of patriarchal marriage and child-rearing. Diluting the meaning of marriage according to every and any possible combination and permutation will have this effect.

The question is, will this type of ‘marriage’ sustainable?

For if it is not, then neither will be the feminist ideology. Feminist ideology cannot exist independent of the liberal type of society that engenders it after all.

I have never heard of Newsweek being called “LEFT”. I used to work for them, and they were the most conservative magazine I had ever worked for.

The Newsweek you remember may not exist anymore. After losing money for years, they are attempting a radical makeover.

Newsweek is about to begin a major change in its identity, with a new design, a much smaller and, it hopes, more affluent readership, and some shifts in content. The venerable newsweekly’s ingrained role of obligatory coverage of the week’s big events will be abandoned once and for all, executives say.

“There’s a phrase in the culture, ‘we need to take note of,’ ‘we need to weigh in on,’ ” said Newsweek’s editor, Jon Meacham. “That’s going away. If we don’t have something original to say, we won’t. The drill of chasing the week’s news to add a couple of hard-fought new details is not sustainable.”

Newsweek loses money, and the consensus within its parent, the Washington Post Company, and among industry analysts, is that it has to try something big. The magazine is betting that the answer lies in changing both itself and its audience, and getting the audience to pay more.

“Mass for us is a business that doesn’t work,” said Tom Ascheim, Newsweek’s chief executive. “Wish it did, but it doesn’t. We did it for a long time, successfully, but we can’t anymore.”

nytimes.com/2009/02/09/business/media/09newsweek.html

Reminds me of this woman I saw being interviewed on CNN last year that wrote a book about how “monogamy is dead” and how humans are “meant to be polygamous”. Such stupidity makes me cringe.

We are all essentially cavemen in suits now. It is in our *nature *to club some pretty little thing over the head, haul her into the cave, and then go look for the next one when we become satiated.

Monogamous marriage was never made as an appeal to our nature, but as an appeal to societies need that we become civilized.

When men act according to their natures, there is no such things as streets being safe for women. It is really in womankind’s best interests that men remain invested into monogamous marriage.

Women all know this. Feminists do not.

We had a local case, several years ago, where a swinging couple hosted a party in their garage one Friday night, and their 7 year old daughter was kidnapped and murdered by a neighbor. They were nice peolple, with 2 other children, but since the marriage was not based on commitment and loyalty, it could not take the strain of grief and guilt and they broke up soon after the trial was over. :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.