NFL BULLYING SCANDAL Incognito reportedly told to 'toughen up' alleged victim

foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=22995&external=2408079.proteus.fma#quickPage_html_page_22995_content_99931463_pageNum_1

How common is this type os hazing in sports?

A source who is described as having direct knowledge of the situation told the Miami Herald that younger players on the Dolphins team are under pressure to pay for veterans' social outings, likening them to personal ATMs.

The source said younger players some of whom make around $400,000 a year were handed the tab for a $30,000 team dinner. One unnamed defensive player is on his way to becoming broke for not being able to say no to the older players’ demands, the source added.

“Everything tastes better when rookies pay for it,” veteran Miami defensive lineman Jared Odrick tweeted Friday.

S

Your quoted text is very different than the article linked. Speaking to the article, I would say that hazing under the coaches direction isn’t typical. Well, at least not how it is characterized in the article. Coaches don’t say to veterans “Go haze that rookie.” It is more like “That rookie just isn’t getting it. You veterans are responsible for helping him be part of the team. It is up to you guys to make sure he gets it. Go get it done.”

I’ve been involved in football at the high school and college level, and at none of those levels do you see coaches directing players to haze or mistreat other players.

As to your quoted text, I don’t think the spending sprees are unusual. I seem to remember Ryan Leaf getting pretty p/o at Junior Seau about this sort of thing.

[quote="Suudy, post:2, topic:344323"]
As to your quoted text, I don't think the spending sprees are unusual. I seem to remember Ryan Leaf getting pretty p/o at Junior Seau about this sort of thing.

[/quote]

its very common among thugs and bullies :shrug:

Unfortunately it does happen. Where I live in Pennsylvania there was a recent case of a high school football coach caught on video directing a player to mistreat another player.

Yeah, this is not bullying. This is downright assault. And should be charged as such (criminal threats). The text of a voice-mail sent can be read here. He threatens to beat up his mother, do something terrible to his mouth and threatens to kill him. That is not bullying, that is criminal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.