Nfp & af

DANGER - TMI alert. You have been warned!

Hi Girls,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with charting. Before I had DD, it was really easy - AF started on one definite day that I could put on the chart. Day before - no bleeding, next day - bleeding.

Since having DD, I get AF really gradually. Between when I first notice blood whilst checking my cervix and getting to a stage where I need sanitary protection will be about 5-7 days. After that, we proceed as normal for the rest of the cycle.

Two questions:

1. Does this just happen to everyone after giving birth (I didn’t get AF back at all until she was 9 months old, have now had 3 cycles like this) and then goes away again, or is this the new ‘normal’ for me and it will remain that way?

2. How do I mark this on my chart?

Any help appreciated and sorry for grossing everyone out but the only NFP lady in my area is someone I work with so I would prefer not to have to ask her!

[quote="Batfink, post:1, topic:225407"]

Hi Girls,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with charting. Before I had DD, it was really easy - AF started on one definite day that I could put on the chart. Day before - no bleeding, next day - bleeding.

Since having DD, I get AF really gradually. Between when I first notice blood whilst checking my cervix and getting to a stage where I need sanitary protection will be about 5-7 days. After that, we proceed as normal for the rest of the cycle.

Two questions:
1) Does this just happen to everyone after giving birth (I didn't get AF back at all until she was 9 months old, have now had 3 cycles like this) and then goes away again, or is this the new 'normal' for me and it will remain that way?

2) How do I mark this on my chart?

Any help appreciated and sorry for grossing everyone out but the only NFP lady in my area is someone I work with so I would prefer not to have to ask her!

[/quote]

How long after ovulation is this happening? It sounds like you may now have a (LP)Leutal Phase Defect, which is pretty common after giving birth especially if you are nursing. It's the hormone levels changing. You likely still have low progesterone because of the prolactin levels and this cases the spotting.

The one thing you can do to normalize it is take a B complex Vitamin, about 50 mg. The B6 in it helps sort out the LP and lengthen it and lessen the spotting. As your cycle regulates itself and if you are nursing that can take some time, it will likely return to what you previously had.

I mark the first day of actual flow as day one of a cycle, but spotting can be noted.

[quote="Batfink, post:1, topic:225407"]

Hi Girls,

Two questions:
1) Does this just happen to everyone after giving birth (I didn't get AF back at all until she was 9 months old, have now had 3 cycles like this) and then goes away again, or is this the new 'normal' for me and it will remain that way?

2) How do I mark this on my chart?

[/quote]

If you are doing Creighton, this is mentioned in the book. The code is VL (for very light) and B if its brown. If its more than 2 days before regular flow, then it goes on the previous cycle. The Creighton book says that it could indicate low progesterone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.