NFP and husband who travels for job?

I would like to know if any of you cope with traveling husbands and NFP. My husband typically travels for work 4 times a month for 3 nights each. I’m the one who suggested we do NFP and he agreed (hesitantly). But sometimes with the traveling, it just doesn’t work out, if you know what I mean. any thoughts or encouragement?

I’d like to hear responses too. I’m planning on becoming a pilot…most typical schedules are in the range of 4 days on 3 off, so depending on how things work out, there could be a good half a month without sex if the schedule and fertility times meet in such a way.

How about an NFP couple with a travelling wife? Me.

Yes, it can increase the abstinance if you are trying to avoid. It can also suck the other way around when you miss the fertile time.

I don’t have any advice other than communicate so that there aren’t any unmet expectations-- if DH and you are both aware of where you are in the cycle you can both decide whether to refrain or not. It’s a mutual decision.

There is no alternative, so you just make the best of it and find ways to be intimate other than sexual activity-- cuddling, talking, holding hands, back rub, etc.

Hate to break it to you, but there could be more than that-- it could eat up your *entire *month depending on how the travel falls.

But, it’s just part of the package. There will be times when it doesn’t impact anything, or you are just away for the fertile time and come back right at the “right” time.

And, of course there will be times when you are not avoiding and it won’t really matter.

My husband doesn’t currently travel, but he does do rotating shiftwork. Frequently he’s on swing shift when I am in my prepeak phase. It is rough. We kind of laugh about it. Just our luck. I, of course, tell him that if he’s not adverse to another set of little feet, that I’m game anytime. Since he’s the one who would rather wait, he can’t really complain. Between his schedule and my cycle, we’re intimate 2-3 times per month. It isn’t great, but I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if we weren’t doing NFP. What else can you do? :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.