NFP Billings Questions...HELP!

Hi,
I have been trying to learn the billings method of NFP for about six months or longer. I was told when I was initially learning that it would be easy, but I’m finding that not to be the case.

Billings is based on the sensation of cervical mucus at the vulva (aka: not on what you see, but what or how you feel), and after over six months, I cannot feel anything!!

I have been basing my charting on what I see (which is not properly following the method), because that’s all I have to go by… no sensation at all!!!

Has anyone else had this problem??? or do you have any suggestions for me???
(I’m getting married in a few months so this is very important!)

I would highly, highly suggest you switch to the sympto-thermal method (STM). The only change you will need to make is taking your temperature everyday. You’ll get more definitive answers with STM, IMHO.

woomb.org/index.html

It sounds as if there was some breakdown in your instruction. You will need to look at your mucus as well as “feel”.

The BOM uses two observations:

woomb.org/bom/lit/teach/index.html#Keeping_a_Record

Introduction

During the days leading up to ovulation, cervical mucus leaves the vagina when the woman is in the upright position and as she moves about. The mucus is observed at the vulva:
[LIST=1]
*]By the changing sensations of the vulva over the whole day.
*]By direct inspection of visible mucus from time to time.
[/LIST][LEFT]The recording of these observations is made at the end of each day. The record reveals the patterns of infertility and fertility.[/LEFT]

I couldn’t get the hang of Billings either. I am much more comfortable with the sympto thermal method. I think that is why there are different methods of NFP…not all women are the same and we don’t all like the same things.

I am not familiar with the exact rules of Billings, but I do practice NFP by checking my mucus on a daily basis.

First of all, it sounds like you need to speak to your instructor, maybe you have not understood the rules properly.

Secondly, you could try changing your method to Creighton or sympto-thermal. You might have better luck with these.

One of the biggest reasons many women complain of constant dry mucus is a bad diet which causes nutrient deficiencies (especially with zinc, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and Iron). Try looking at your diet and seeing if things can be improved.

Also, some medications can affect your mucus by drying it up: antihistamines, guaifenesin (which is the active ingredient in Robitussin), some antidepressants, some herbal medicines (such as golden seal and horseradish), high doses of the acidic form of vitamin C ascorbic acid, prescription antibiotics, and, oddly enough, Clomid, a fertility drug, also affects mucus.

I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and her website: ovusoft.com/

She teaches Fertility Awareness, not NFP, so the methods, such as Creighton, Billings, and sympto-thermal aren’t mentioned. Rather they just use the mucus, cervix position, and basal temps (although you don’t have to use all three). I basically use mucus signs only.

Please don’t give up, just try to talk to your instructor or try a different method. In some instances, women naturally don’t produce a lot of mucus, so instead of going by the classic mucus types, you really have to get to know your body and you should see some type of mucus. Otherwise, it might be good to see your ob/gyn, because it could be possible that you are not ovulating, or have some other medical issue.

I check both cervical mucus and temperature … just works better for me. If I had to rely on sensation alone, I’d be in a lot of trouble :). I actually check the mucus.
With the temperatures - the only pain is that you have to wake up at the same time every day (easy if you can go back to sleep, otherwise not so much).

It is possible to get accurate basal temps after 3 hours of restful sleep. I had to rely on that after I started charting when I had a young baby to get up with during the night.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.