NFP now has recognized insurance codes!

Just saw this article… hopefully this means insurance will pay for NFP classes and consultations:

catholicnews.com/data/briefs/cns/20071109.htm#head4

Oops… how did I put this in Liturgy? Meant to put it in Family.

Mods please move.

Yay!

Great. Now the couples who teach NFP are also going to have start dealing with deductibles, co-pays, becoming approved NFP-education providers for managed-care plans, and bureaucracies that would make the most irregular cycles look as regular as clockwork.

I’m sorry you are bitter. I don’t think you understand what a relief this is.

I’ve been doing NFP-creighton for my health for over 5 years.
I chose a particular insurance company (through the archdiocese that I work at) because its supposed to be unlimited visits.

I have spent about 150 phone calls (probably about 30+ hours at least) to hospital billing depts, the people at the catholic hospitals who don’t understand what NFP is and count it as contraception, then their managers, my docs office, the NFP office, the insurance company , and the benefits dept.

NO one could clearly communicate with me on what was actually going on. No one understood what NFP was. I actually quit once because I was so frustrated …I"m in the same situation for the THIRD time. I’m just about done with the whole thing.

If it was anyone that was on the fence about NFP and was just trying it, and ran into these problems. THey would quit immmediately and go to ABC.

Hooray!
I think I did some letter-writing for this a while back.
Baby steps; baby steps! :slight_smile:
The battle is still on.:thumbsup:

While I’m happy that this occured (right? this is something to be happy about?), I wonder if it’s available in other states as well…or is it just in St. Louis (I’m assuming Missouri)?

Who said I was bitter? Is irony a lost art? :crying:

[Professor Kirke mode]
What do they teach in schools these days?..
[/Professor Kirke mode]

(Okay, the thought that irony may be dead, that makes me a little bitter.) :ouch:

It is an [/FONT] and is published by the WHO. From the article:
On Oct. 1, the International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification (ICD-9-CM) published the following codes for natural family planning: V25.04: Counseling and instruction in natural family planning to avoid pregnancy, and V26.41: Procreative counseling and advice using natural family planning.

:thumbsup:

Now the couples who teach NFP are also going to have start dealing with deductibles, co-pays, becoming approved NFP-education providers for managed-care plans, and bureaucracies that would make the most irregular cycles look as regular as clockwork.

:smiley: As a NFP teacher, now Marquette Model, and Women’s Health NP, you made me giggle. I have several friends who do utilization review and the stories they tell.

But yes, this is an awesome step.

I doubt that NFP instructors would be able to bill insurance companies under these ICD9s. .

If they could, they could be presently billing under V25.0, Encounter for contraceptive management, general counseling and advice; or V25.09, Encounter for contraceptive management, general counseling and advice, other.

Insurance companies look at the ICD9 codes, and compare them with the CPT (Current Procedure Codes) to determine if they are going to pay.

This will only apply to Medical practitioners, I’m sure.

You assume “NFP Instructor” and “Medical Practicioner” are mutually exclusive terms.

Some NFP instructors are simply laypersons trained in the method and those might not qualify. But, others are medical personnel such as RNs, CNPs, Midwives, PAs, etc. My instructor for Creighton is an RN.

It will not apply universally, but it most certainly will apply in cases where the instructor is a medical professional.

When I emailed the link to my Creighton instructor, she said the following:

• “Only one step in the battle, but a crucial one. Now we have to get the insurance companies to grant CPT codes. Of course (it’s not in the article) but I can tell you that the culture of death also got their codes approved for IVF and artifical reproductive technology so now they can bill insurance too. The devil keeps chasing our tails…”

*Let’s keep each other informed & supported and keep one step ahead of him!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.