NFP questions for the ladies

Hello,

My wife and I are currently in counseling when all seemed hopeless just a short while ago. I still suspect she had another affair and it will eventually come out. She currently is not practicing her faith and questions God and the church, but she always eventually comes back.

My question has to do with her menstrual cycle, which is very bad and debilitating for her. She is always out of commission for a few days lying on the couch in excruciating pain, which makes it hard to take care of the girls. Many days she can’t even get out of bed because the pain/cramps are so bad. Her solution is to go to a gyno and see what they advise, even if it means birth control. The pro-life doctors have NEVER taken her seriously when she mentions her problem (its even more graphic than I’ve described) and basically brush her off. Does anybody know of anyone/any place that she could turn for help or know of any underlying conditions that may be causing this? This is something that I need to be proactive in so that my family is following church teachings.

You might try the Pope Paul VI Institute. (They’ve done wonders for me.)

popepaulvi.com/

I second the Pope Paul VI institute. They do have a growing network of drs.

At minimum, if her dr. won't take her seriously, find another one. These severe cramps are not normal, and she can get help. She might have endometriosis or any number of other conditions. I had a friend who had endometriosis and she had similar symptoms, even having to take off work because of the pain. It can be treated with hormonal supplements -- sometimes the pill, though that's not the best choice. If her dr. wants to Rx the pill to treat it, it isn't sinful because it's to cure a debilitating condition, not to prevent pregnancy. I would still try to find a Pope Paul VI institute doc who will get her on appropriate treatment, but something is better than nothing.

I can’t give medical advice, and to tell my story in full would reveal more of my life than I care to, but have her see a doctor about it. Surgery is one way they deal with these things. Another way is the Pill. The church DOES allow the use of the pill or certain surgical procedures for medicinal reasons. The apologists back this up, and so does Humane Vitae.

Best of luck to you.

Absolutely! I heard of three success stories this weekend due to the Pope Paul VI Institute.

I'm not saying this is your wife's problem BUT; personally, I had the same symptoms. I discovered two miracles: ibuprofen is WAY better than any narcotic; and Vitamin K. As soon as the cramps started I would heavily dose up on both. Worked great for me.

I also had ovarian cysts... Awful, pain.

I am NO doctor. Find one that cares. Sheash.

I also have endometriosis and actually NFP has helped me quite a bit, whereas the Pill seemed to work at first and then I had to take stronger and stronger doses with more debilitating side effects and eventually they stopped working well altogether. I agree that she should see other doctors if the ones she are seeing are dismissing her problems. I was lucky in that I found a Catholic NFP doctor who encouraged me to use NFP and to read the book “Fertility Cycles and Nutrition”. It has done wonders for me and our marriage. Try the Pope Paul VI Institute or try to find a local NFP doctor. God bless!

[quote="InspiritCarol, post:6, topic:238731"]
I'm not saying this is your wife's problem BUT; personally, I had the same symptoms. I discovered two miracles: ibuprofen is WAY better than any narcotic; and Vitamin K. As soon as the cramps started I would heavily dose up on both. Worked great for me.

I also had ovarian cysts... Awful, pain.

I am NO doctor. Find one that cares. Sheash.

[/quote]

As far as ibuprofen - it also helps a lot to take it before you actually start to cramp. The reason it helps is not so much the pain-killing aspect of the drug as it also affects the release of the hormones that cause the cramps. If you wait until the cramps start, there are already some hormones in your system.

So if possible, take the pills as soon as you know you are likely to get them soon, when you start to bleed maybe, or I could always tell because I would get bloated.

[quote="InspiritCarol, post:6, topic:238731"]
I discovered two miracles: ibuprofen is WAY better than any narcotic; and Vitamin K. As soon as the cramps started I would heavily dose up on both. Worked great for me.

[/quote]

Interesting that that combo works as the one counteracts the other concerning the thin or thickness of blood.

Ibuprofen thins the blood. Vitamin K thickens blood.

Known as the blood-clotting VITAMIN, K helps the body synthesize at least four of the proteins integral to clot formation, which is why so many surgeons prescribe it to patients before surgery. But vitamin K also cooperates with vitamins A and D in helping to build bone PROTEIN. What makes vitamin K a unique FAT-soluble vitamin is that BACTERIA in the gastrointestinal tract synthesize it, albeit in amounts too small to supply daily needs

[quote="Barbkw, post:9, topic:238731"]
Interesting that that combo works as the one counteracts the other concerning the thin or thickness of blood.

Ibuprofen thins the blood. Vitamin K thickens blood.

[/quote]

Just a quick FYI... they work on totally different things - and Ibuprofen really isn't a "blood thinner" (and doesn't work as well as an anti-clotting drug as, for example, aspirin). Vitamin K affects what are called coagulation factors (the things implicated in hemophilia, which is a deficiency of one of those coagulation factors) while Ibuprofen acts more on a completely different compound (what are called prostaglandins - and yes, these things totally affect uterine contractions).

I also recommend the Pope Paul VI Institute and NaPro technology. They train doctors to diagnose and treat the real underlying conditions (and being in medical training myself, I know how often your standard OB is NOT trained to do this. The pill, while it can "help", does not treat the underlying problem, it masks the symptoms). You can find them on the web and they do have doctors in other areas of the country.

That being said, as other people have said the Pill is NOT a sin when it is being used to treat another condition (with the unintended side effect of infertility).

I hope you and your wife can find some help. Please help her seek medical care!

Yeah you really want to make sure she contacts someone who is a NaPro Physician not just pro-life - this means that they are skilled in the techniques associated with dealing with “issues” not just against contraception. ANY MD that does not take ANY patients pain seriously should not be taken seriously either IMHO.

Ibuproferin does nothing for me. May as well take an M&M… Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) has done wonders however.

Back when I was a kid, you needed an RX, and I still take RX strength… I used to puke the pain was so bad. And I’ve also been described by medics that I have a HIGH pain threshold… (perhaps this is why???)

One MUST talk with a doc. about this. She could have a variety of problems, fybroids, cycsts, endometreosis… to name a few. These should be DX’d, and dealt with…

Being out of commission for days at a time is not gonna work… Jeesh, when will doctors step up and treat the problems???

I thought, however, that although the pill is allowed in certain cases for medicinal reasons, that the couple should remain abstinent for the duration of time the woman is taking the pill. I understand the reasoning behind that, but what an awful thing for a married couple…is this true, or did I get some poor literature on Catholic marriage and sex??

[quote="faithfully, post:12, topic:238731"]
Ibuproferin does nothing for me. May as well take an M&M... Naproxin Sodium (Aleve) has done wonders however.

[/quote]

I have dealt with severe pain issues (not related to my cycle). I think ibuprofen is a miracle drug. When you tried it, did you take enough? You have to take 800 mg, which is twice the dose listed on the over-the-counter bottle and is actually prescription strength. Of course, I am not a doctor... just someone who knows a lot about pain.

[quote="Inthemountains, post:14, topic:238731"]
I have dealt with severe pain issues (not related to my cycle). I think ibuprofen is a miracle drug. When you tried it, did you take enough? You have to take 800 mg, which is twice the dose listed on the over-the-counter bottle and is actually prescription strength. Of course, I am not a doctor... just someone who knows a lot about pain.

[/quote]

Yep. Same here. :thumbsup:

[quote="Inthemountains, post:14, topic:238731"]

[/quote]

Ibuprofen... for cramps or tension headaches... doesn't work for me.. does for other things... Looking at the bottle in my house right now... 1 pill = 200mg. I'd normally take 3 (so that's under the 800 you are used to), wait an hour without any sense of relief, and then another 3... again no relief.)

I can take one OTC Aleve and be ok. But you know what? When I was a kid, I'd take WAY more than that, and BARELY get any relief...

And now, if I have a tension headache... I have to have an excederine... NOTHING else will touch it... Maybe I'm a weirdo... LOL!

Not really. Different meds work for different people. One of the reasons we have so many of them. Excedrin Tension Headache is the only thing that touches my tension headaches too. and I need an NSAID for cramping (of which naproxen and ibuprofen … and I thinke aleve? are examples).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.