NFP, Sex in marriage and abstinence

Hey brothers and sisters,

I recently went to a talk by Jason Evert on contraception. He began talking about NFP (Natural Family Planning) and thought it was an awesome thing to practice as Catholics. However I am new to this idea and have a question about sex in marriage.

Would I be going against the Catholic Church’s teachings if I had sex (and if I was married) with my husband at a time I was unable to conceive because we aren’t ready for children, but will accept a child if I happened to conceive?

I understand that using contraception is not the way to go to “plan” a family, but somehow It would also feel wrong to have sex only when I’m unable to conceive. Does the Church say in a situation like this, that we should be chaste and have sex only when we are ready to have children?

Thanks,
God bless. :slight_smile:

[quote="Christ_is_love, post:1, topic:241176"]

Would I be going against the Catholic Church's teachings if I had sex (and if I was married) with my husband at a time I was unable to conceive because we aren't ready for children, but will accept a child if I happened to conceive?

[/quote]

No. Not if you have a just reason to avoid children for a time.

From Humanae Vitate:

If therefore there are well-grounded reasons for spacing births, arising from the physical or psychological condition of husband or wife, or from external circumstances, the Church teaches that married people may then take advantage of the natural cycles immanent in the reproductive system and engage in marital intercourse only during those times that are infertile, thus controlling birth in a way which does not in the least offend the moral principles which We have just explained.

Does the Church say in a situation like this, that we should be chaste and have sex only when we are ready to have children?

[/quote]

No.

**Thank you very much!!

God bless you. :)**

Hey brothers and sisters,

I recently went to a talk by Jason Evert on contraception. He began talking about NFP (Natural Family Planning) and thought it was an awesome thing to practice as Catholics. However I am new to this idea and have a question about sex in marriage.

Would I be going against the Catholic Church's teachings if I had sex (and if I was married) with my husband at a time I was unable to conceive because we aren't ready for children, but will accept a child if I happened to conceive?

I understand that using contraception is not the way to go to "plan" a family, but somehow It would also feel wrong to have sex only when I'm unable to conceive. Does the Church say in a situation like this, that we should be chaste and have sex only when we are ready to have children?

Thanks,
God bless. :)

[/quote]

NFP is simply knowledge that you incorporate into your marital sex life. Its one of the many things to consider when being intimate with your spouse. Is it 2am in the morning when your spouse needs to be up for work at 5am? Its that sort of thing.

Contraceptives are a way to get around the sacrifice. No, it would not be a sin to have sex when you were in your infertile period. In fact, i would say that exclusively only having sex when you want a child would be sinful and damaging to your marriage. Sex is a sacramental act in marriage and is something a couple ought to be doing. St. Paul warns couples about denying each other. Couples really have to discern together through NFP whether they have a grave reason to prevent pregnancy. You take an entirely different approach to having children.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.