NFP Users: how many days a month?

It’s an anonymous poll, and I don’t want to make anybody jealous of anybody else, and I’m sorry to ask such a personal question. I am curious though, especially as someone who is preparing for marriage but has decided not to have children until we’re more prepared financially.

Those of you who are using NFP in order to delay conception, how many days in an average month are you ‘safe’ to enjoy the marital embrace?

I’m not married but if I was I would probably not be able to rely on NFP. I did the course and I know how it works and I have very carefully charted my cycle and ovulations and all that just in case I was to get married. But for me the situation is probably pretty hopeless because I ovulate MORE than once a month. I didn’t even think that was possible, but apparantly it is.

I am a medic and I can tell you it is not possible to ovulate on more than one occasion per menstrual cycle.

You might ovulate more than one egg AT THE SAME TIME, but it is a biological impossibility to ovulate on 2 separate independent occasions per menstrual cycle.

Your hormones just cant do it.

I would bet that whoever told you that you are ovulating more than once a month does not have a degree in medicine.

I concur, it is not possible. Only at the same time. You would need two cycles to have two ovulations at different times in a month.

Hmmm…well actually it was my doctor. I would certainly hope she has a degree!

Hatter, just a few thoughts to consider. :slight_smile:

Hmmm…well actually it was my doctor. I would certainly hope she has a degree!

If you ovulate more than once in a cylce, it will be within the same 24 hour period. The AAFCP addressed this topic here. Actually, doctors are not always the best sources for NFP information unless they have been trained. I have spoken with doctors who have never heard of Billings, Creighton, etc.

I did the course and I know how it works and I have very carefully charted my cycle and ovulations and all that just in case I was to get married

I am confused. You are identifying fertile and infertile times, so I am not sure why NFP wouldn’t work. You would use selective intercourse based on you intention to achieve or avoid pregnancy.

BTW, you can’t confirm ovulation by charting.

You poll asks

How many days a month can you enjoy marital relations?

I did not see an option for my answer:

I enjoy it EVERYTIME!! :thumbsup: :blush:

Hatter,
You would be surprised how much OB/GYN don’t know about the ovulatory cycle. I am a ob nurse and a NFP instructor. There have been so many times I have heard doctors give misinformation to ladies regard their cycles that is really scares me:eek: .

Mirror, Mirror

Your answer is making me blush and crack up! I chose your option “Everytime”:stuck_out_tongue:

It is possible to have two mucus patches, but not two ovulations.

I actually had a conception on a cycle where I had two mucus patches. My first (false) one was at the time of the month where I would typically have ovulation. By the time, I figured out what had happened, we had all ready gone into the real deal. But, the first mucus patch was not as abundant. I remember being a little puzzled by it.

The conception ended in a miscarriage. I think my hormones must have been “off.”

I guess it’s a good reason to do temps, too. But, I’m too lazy. :wink: We generally abstain about four days, but sometimes it’s a little longer.

Enjoy?

I have a long cycle - 33-38 days. So I answered based on the length of my cycle, rather than an actual month, because answering in a month would be too complicated for this little brain :slight_smile: I’ve only been charting for four cycles, but we have about 18-24 days in each cycle that would be considered safe.

We’re not actually following NFP, grant you, I’m just charting to learn the ropes. We’re in the trusting God mode right now. :wink:

Back in the day, when we were avoiding, I’d say roughly 15-22 (with 28-36 day cycles), but that’s only because DH and I don’t mind Phase 1. :blush: If we were grossed out by P1 intercourse, we’d have to subtract 7-9 days. I’m totally sorry if that’s TMI, but I didn’t want people who don’t yet practice NFP (who may just be reading the thread) to get too optimistic or develop really high expectations, since I’m not sure this is the norm. :smiley:

I suppose that could be it. It is pretty frustrating because I do follow Billings very carefully and take my temperature pee on those sticks etc, but it would seem that I am fertile most part of the month. But then again, I havn’t really put it to the test yet.

Anyhow, I suppose it doesn’t really matter, I don’t think I want to get married anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

I refuse to believe it!
There is no way that someone can ovulate on 2 or more separate occassions per menstrual cycle. It simply can not happen.

the reason being is that once you ovulate once, your whole body’s hormones swing into action ready for the potential implantation that may occur, and they positively inhibit ovulation from occuring again till after menstruation.

You could ovulate more than once within the same short space of time; a few hours, maybe up to 24hours at most.

But you simply can not ovulate on 2 or more independent occasions per menstrual cycle.

better get yourself a new doctor if they said you can!!!

You can only have mulitple ovulation within a 24 hour time period (this is not an issue for NFP methods). A woman can have more than one follicular wave (1-3 waves), with only one wave being ovulatory. The rest will be annovulatory (no ovulation), this how a woman might have more than one cervical mucous patch. This has been proven by many research studies dealing with infertility, usually only one wave is ovulatory & the possible multiple ovulation only occurs within a 24 hour window (not days or weeks).

All NFP methods teach how to handle the possibility of more than one CM patch and these are highly effective. If the rules are applied correctly then NFP is still as or more effective than the highly touted ABC methods (like the Pill).

IF a woman is finding she believes she is fertile the entire month even with cross-checks (such as OPK tests) then she should contact her NFP instructor or find a NFP doctor. There could be a misapplication of one or more of the cross-checks she is using or something else that is being missed that could be rectified & make the method clearer to use.

There is also the possibility of using a STM method, which uses CM & Basal Body Temp. This might be another option, if a woman wants another cross check.

Personally I use the Marquette Model (from the Marquette School of Nursing), while it was a little more costly up front for the Clear Blue Easy Monitor it helped cut out confusion & CM is still my primary indicator. It’s also put DH more at ease & that helps us in other ways;) A monitor has been clearer for me than simply using the individual test sticks & trying to read them myself.

I voted 15-22 days, depending on the length of the cycle (28-32 days). We normally don’t “embrace” during menses which would put it closer to the 15-17 day mark. We use the S.P.I.C.E. approach when abstaining.

What is this? I’m interested in knowing more. I’m looking for ways to improve our relationship, both now in its non-sexual stage and once married.

I agree with the other posters here…
Your body won’t ovulate multiple times (outside a 24 hr window when both ovaries may release eggs) within one cycle.

NFP will teach you how to identify the fertile and non-fertile phases of your cycle.

Don’t be scared of NFP… it works for more than you think! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

S.P.I.C.E. stands for:

Spiritual
Physical
Intellectual
Communicative
Emotional

It’s a great way to focus on the ways to connect outside of sex that create intimacy (and now as you prepare for marriage). Also, it allows for a renewed courtship to exist in your marriage, reminding both spouses about the deeper connection that is part of the marital “embrace”. When you are in a situation where avoidance is necessary allowing for you as a couple to come together in other ways is really key. Now obviously these other ways for intimacy are always important but when abstaining they are of even greater importance since it can be a tremendous help to get past the struggle that can come with abstaining & focus on the overall intimacy in your marriage.

Here are some links that give a brief overview & a few ideas on how to incorporate it:

[LIST]
*]aafcp.org/periodic_abstinence.html
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]domestic-church.com/CONTENT.DCC/19971201/HEALTH/NFP.HTM
[/LIST]

hth:)

My cycle is irregular. We have about 8 safe days

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.