Nfp

Quick question for those using NFP in order not to conceive at present–How many days out of 30 do you typically abstain?

I want to say a week to a week and a half for those with typical cycles, but really most NFP literature tries not to put a time frame on it since women’s cycles can be so varied.

Really trying to get more real “poll” type data from those using than numbers that can be gotten from teaching materials.

about 5 days when I have regular cycles. Hope this helps!

[quote=CuriousInIL]Quick question for those using NFP in order not to conceive at present–How many days out of 30 do you typically abstain?
[/quote]

It would be a good week at least.

Of course, you know that cycles are not usually 30 days long :slight_smile:

During my average 26 day cycle, there are 4-5 days where we would abstain.

[quote=kage_ar]Of course, you know that cycles are not usually 30 days long :slight_smile:

During my average 26 day cycle, there are 4-5 days where we would abstain.
[/quote]

Good points. Let me refine my question:

How long is your average cycle and how many days of that cycle do you typically abstain when not wanting to get pregnant?

If I have a 28 day cycle, we usually end up abstaining for 18 days at least. But I have weirdly long phase 1 and 2’s, and I’m counting days of menses, which I have a sense that maybe others are not. Plus, we are kinda new at the postponing pregnancy thing and don’t take many chances.

I’m pregnant right now, but when we are seeking to avoid pregnancy…

My cycles are 32 days long and we typically use the more conservative rules and abstain fro 7 days.

[quote=CatCat]If I have a 28 day cycle, we usually end up abstaining for 18 days at least. But I have weirdly long phase 1 and 2’s, and I’m counting days of menses, which I have a sense that maybe others are not. Plus, we are kinda new at the postponing pregnancy thing and don’t take many chances.
[/quote]

Another good point. Please indicate if counting days of menstruation or not in your answer.

[quote=CatCat]If I have a 28 day cycle, we usually end up abstaining for 18 days at least. But I have weirdly long phase 1 and 2’s, and I’m counting days of menses, which I have a sense that maybe others are not. Plus, we are kinda new at the postponing pregnancy thing and don’t take many chances.
[/quote]

Your new cylce does start with your period.

There is a 21 day rule that is usually applied. It is subtracted from the amount of cycle days. Phase 3 is usually 14-16 days. Leaving the pre-shift of 6 days and the 3 drying up after ovulation.

My cycle varies between 28-32 so it can be anywhere from 9 days to 14.

[quote=Jenlyn]Your new cylce does start with your period.
[/quote]

I think that CatCat was saying that some responses here counted days of menstruation as days that they abstain and others were not counting them (perhaps because they do not abstain then).

10 days, when we are being very conservative–for instance, when I was having multiple x-rays every couple of weeks. 5-7 days, otherwise.

My cycle goes anywhere from 23 to 28 days, so probably at least 10 days we abstain. Usually Phase 1 ends on day 3, and Phase 3 starts on Day anywhere from 13 to day 18. Usually, anyway.

10 days out of a 28 day cycle, and that includes menstruation. But I really need to not get pregnant, so we are very careful.

I’m pregnant right now also, but when I’m having a normal cycle of 28-30 days, we usually end up abstaining about 7 days. I don’t include menstruation days as days of abstinance.

Cycle of 29 days plus or minus. We abstain about 17 days. It is not NFP abstinence, but we also abstain during menstruation for 4-5 days.

[quote=notreallysure]Cycle of 29 days plus or minus. We abstain about 17 days. It is not NFP abstinence, but we also abstain during menstruation for 4-5 days.
[/quote]

This seems like over-abstaining. Is this level of abstainence common?

[quote=CuriousInIL]This seems like over-abstaining. Is this level of abstainence common?
[/quote]

I think it depends on how serious the reason to avoid pregnancy. The most conservative rules can sometimes require abstaining during Phase 1 and 2 and waiting until Phase 3.

Each couple has to discern their reasons and determine the acceptable level of abstinence required each month.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.