Nicene Creed & Apostle Creed

Can someone help me as to when the creed was changed and removed one baptism?

“One baptism for the forgiveness of sins”
to
“the forgiveness of sins”

I know the creed is based on First Council of Nicaea (325) and First Council of Constantinople (381) .

Any info would be appreciated!!!

The Nicene Creed we say at mass still closes with

I believe in one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come.

The words “one baptism” have not been removed.

1 Like

I think you’re mixing up the Apostles Creed with the Nicean Creed. The Nicean Creed has not changed, and the Apostles Creed is not the Nicean Creed.

1 Like

ok, i saw a handout from a friend at work who is protestant. I thought the apostle creed was taken from the Nicene creed. we were having a discussion on baptism. I related to the one we say at mass, then he pulled out his form.

If they are different, can anyone send me a link to see historically how and when they were changed.
Thanks!

The Apostle’s Creed never mentioned baptism and originated before the Nicene Creed (325 A.D.) and the later revised Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed (371 A.D.).

1 Like

I don’t have the Apostles Creed memorized like I do the Nicene Creed, but reading the words I think you hit the nail on the head. Two different creeds, both which may be said during mass.

1 Like

Correct. The “One baptism” language was added to the Apostle’s Creed, as the Apostle’s Creed only says “the forgiveness of sins”.

No it wasn’t. The Apostles’ Creed only mentions the forgiveness of sins.

The Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed are not related in any way. The Apostles’ Creed is a narrative form of the ancient Roman baptismal vows, and can be professed in question-and-answer format. It probably does not contain a profession of one baptism because its original purpose was for use in the baptism rite. It is older than the Nicene Creed, which was formulated to combat Arianism, and is the product of a Council.

1 Like

I said “Added” because the OP seems to think the Creed removed the words “one baptism” to make the Apostles Creed.

I see your point about how the two Creeds developed independently, but the point is that the Apostles Creed was not created by taking the Nicene Creed and removing parts of it.

Also, it’s hard for me to imagine the Council didn’t at least consider the Apostle’s Creed when they were formulating the Nicene Creed.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. This clears up some of my confusion…
Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.