Nicene vs. Apostle's Creed

Why do we say the Nicene Creed at Mass rather than the Apostle’s Creed?

:hmmm:

I believe that it depends on the country you are in and what the Bishop’s Conference there has decided. I know from posters on the forums that in Canada they say the Apostle’s Creed. The Apostle’s Creed is also said during Children’s Masses, and often during Lent and Easter time in the US.

As for why, it may be because the Nicene Creed is more specific in stating our beliefs and more instructive of them, but that is not an official answer, just a guess on my part.

As another poster has said it depends on which country you are in.

The GIRM does not specify which Creed should be said.

I believe the answer is twofold.

First, the Apostle’s Creed was originally the creeed that St. Peter and St. Paul taught the catechumens in Rome, and it was used ever after to summarized the Faith.

But the Nicean Creed was formulated by a council of all the Church’s bishops several hundred years later, and statements were added to it to refute the lies of heretics who denied the Blessed Trinity and said that Our Lord wasn’t really God. These heretics (Arians) had swept through the whole Church and brought most Christians over to their side. It took hundreds of years to win them all back to the true Faith.

Therefore, the Nicean Creed was put in the Mass in ancient times to forcefully state the Catholic position against the heresies of the time, and act as a bond of unity among the faithful. It’s remained in our Mass ever since.

It is not Nicene v Apostles’ Creed , as if some sort of competition were taking place .

Both are permitted for use during the Mass .

In the EF Mass, there is no option for the Apostles’ Creed, but traditionally the Apostles’ Creed is used for the rosary.

Interesting. I didn’t know that the EF has no option for the Apostles’ Creed.

That explains it. Thanks.

Personally, I like the Nicene Creed, because I like using big words like “consubstantial”. Makes me feel like a theologian.:smiley:

Trouble is, it’s so long with all the changes, that even our pastor needs to look at the “cheat card” to remember all the words.

Dang! I though for sure that after the Apostles Creed upset Athanasian Creed with that 3 pointer at the buzzer, that we would be see the top seeds playoff in the finals…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.