Nigel Farage's post-Brexit speech to the European Parliament

:smiley: hahaha…hilarious.

Insult all the other EU MEP’s first and then come out with an ‘inverted’ cap in hand, at the end, i.e. the UK will trade with you, and be your best friends, etc…

This from a guy, whose father was a successful stockbroker, who went to public school didn’t make University and Daddy got him a job trading.

independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-brexit-speech-european-parliament-full-transcript-text-a7107036.html

*What I’d like to see is a grownup and sensible attitude to how we negotiate a different relationship. I know that virtually none of you have never done a proper job in your lives, or worked in business, or worked in trade, or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen.

Why don’t we be grown up, pragmatic, sensible, realistic and let’s cut between us a sensible tariff-free deal and thereafter recognise that the United Kingdom will be your friend, that we will trade with you, cooperate with you, we will be your best friends in the world. Do that, do it sensibly, and allow us to go off and pursue our global ambitions and future.*

What’s wrong with going to public school and not going to University?

Absolutely nothing.

It was the fact he had stated to all the other members that they no doubt had never worked a day in their lives - which by insinuation inferred that he was the only one there who had ‘worked’ for a living. It also inferred being an MEP was not a job, yet he has been one for nearly 17 years. :shrug:

In effect, his initial ‘job’ was fortuitously handed to him through his father. The majority of traders, if not all, hold University degrees.

learnhowtobecome.org/stock-broker/

He said this:

What I’d like to see is a grownup and sensible attitude to how we negotiate a different relationship. I know that virtually none of you have never done a proper job in your lives, or worked in business, or worked in trade, or indeed ever created a job. But listen, just listen.

I would bet most went straight into careers in “Public service”, so this description is probably apt. And yes, most people working in government are worthless, many are worse than worthless.

I really hope that people around the world do not think Nigel Farage represents the UK.

:thumbsup:

I really hope that he remembers to be the better person, and to not insult the people we are hoping to have good trade deals with. Unfortunately it looks as though that ship has sailed.

Lou

Thanks for that, pepipop:), that made me laugh. I actually really like him from a comedy standpoint. Just standing there and trolling the entire Parliament. :smiley: He reminds of that one really over-the-top foul-mouthed politico character from the film In The Loop.

*A movie no one here should view if they’re even remotely sensitive to, or offended by, profanity and toxic humor.

He and Boris Johnson both sound delusional.

Only problem is, we have to put up with him being a serious politician.

Lou

I agree Farage is crude, but the Europeans were not exactly diplomatic either. They gave as good as they got. It was a tie. As for the merits of their respective arguments, I give the advantage to Farage.

I understand your sentiment.I hope that people around the world do not think Donald Trump represents the US.

If he did, my opinion of the UK would go up immensely.

I do not know how well known he is outside of the UK. However, I first became aware of him via this tirade:

youtube.com/watch?v=dranqFntNgo

Thank goodness he doesn’t. Not because of your opinion, but because we could really do without another politician who can’t see further than their own gains.

Lou

I fully understand his gloating and giving as good as he gets.

The hilarious part, though IMO, was the fact that at the end of his speech, he was telling them that the UK will trade with the EU and will be their bestest mates in the whole wide world. :smiley:

I.E. those sentiments (or his inverse ‘cap in hand’) should have been voiced the other way around, i.e. we ‘hope’ that the EU will still be our friends and that we can continue to trade together…etc.

I doubt, very much, he was inferring that the EU may have been concerned the UK would not wish to trade with them, anymore. :rolleyes:

*The UK will be your friend, that we will trade with you, cooperate with you, we will be your best friends in the world. Do that, do it sensibly, and allow us to go off and pursue our global ambitions and future.

I hope people around the world don’t think Obama is a true representative of the US.

I admire Nigel Farage. He is not afraid to speak his mind.

Yes, I have heard nothing but bad things about Nigel Farage for at least a year now. To be honest, I wasn’t following British politics that closely, just reading articles once in a while. But now I have seen Farage give speeches on TV and I have read his arguments / comments quite a bit the last few weeks; I don’t see the issue. Maybe I am desensitized by the Trump experience - that could be it. But as I said with Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, compared to Trump, is not that bad. I don’t believe he is a racist; I think he wants Europe to change the way it handles immgration - decentralize it back to the countries of Europe. I agree with that tactic. This is not the same thing as being against immigration. Europe should have the right (each country) to select who comes in - skilled or not - and how many and when. To argue this assertion is bigoted or somehow quasi-fascist is to take leave of one’s senses. I do question though if Farage actually has any political experience - in that regard I think he resembles Trump, which is why I would support Johnson or May for PM. But Farage has shown a hell of a lot of courage, no question. And he is right in what he says - he has been absolutely crucified for it too. Both sides of the channel.

Check this out:
Live
FTSE 100 erases post-Brexit losses as buying bonanza fuels rebound
FTSE 100 opens 1.3pc higher as Brexit nerves settle
European markets rebound amid hopes of more stimulus
Pound stabilises as post-Brexit rally continues
telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/ftse-set-to-open-higher-as-post-brexit-rally-gains-momentum/

I don’t expect that the jitters are gone - that would be naive. I think the markets will jump up and down for up to a year. I would not be surprised to see Brexit produce a real boon though for Britain, economically.

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread in general, and Nigel Farage in particular?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.