Nike takes sides, tapping Colin Kaepernick for new 'Just Do It' ad

Companies and brands often attempt to avoid taking strong public positions out of fear of alienating customers, but Nike is running straight into the political fray.

Four days before a new NFL season gets underway, Nike is throwing its weight behind one of the most polarizing figures in football, and America: former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick will be one of the faces of Nike’s 30th anniversary commemoration of its iconic “Just Do It” slogan. The campaign will also feature athletes such as Serena Williams, NFL wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., and Shaquem Griffin, a rookie linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks whose left hand was amputated when he was a child.

I never wore Nikes. I was a Reebok person myself.
I guess Nike can use whomever they want.

Kaepernick knew what he was doing when he took a knee. He had to keep his brand out there somehow since his NFL Star was beginning to fade. Here comes the $$$ payoff keeping his name in spotlight.

Happy that Kaep’s getting that Nike money. And Williams, Beckham, and Griffin aren’t too shabby a group to be part of.

He will definitely be getting the money!
Do I think he should be rewarded for taking the knee? No. Obviously someone
does.

Me too…!

Disgusting IMO.One of his apparel lines will include a t shirt stating" don’t be afraid to stand for something,no matter the cost"
What the heck is that supposed to mean?
May as well have said "Stand for anything,no matter the cost.

Nike is following the “Spinal Tap” business model of making their appeal more selective.

I’m pleased that they’re recognizing his freedom of speech but others have freedom of speech as well. It’s a gutsy move by Nike but I wonder how it will play out.

Only time will tell.

No to Nike.

Yes to Nike as some things are just worth fighting for.

It’s just a photo, not a line of shoes and merchandising. They probably struck the right note that reaches out to his supporters without overly alienating his detractors.

He’s not getting rich off this x1 recognition photo, if he’s getting paid anything at all.

Maybe the decision-makers at Nike believe that the issue of abuse of power by some police and the related deaths are issues so serious that they are willing to endure the inevitable backlash that they will suffer by featuring in their ads the censured athlete who courageously made this uncomfortable and sad subject so prominent.

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything. #JustDoIt

That would be nice. But I suspect they just think Kaepernick’s image will sell sneakers.

If they’re doing that they could be looking at going to jail. The officers of publicly held companies have a legal duty to try to make money for their shareholders, not to lose shareholder money to advance a political agenda.

That would be the only legal reason they could have.

I’m pretty sure Nike isn’t going to lose any money. They have a great business model – make sneakers for about three bucks in the third world, sell them to suckers in the developed world for hundreds of dollars.

They’ll do fine.

And I also suspect their advertising agencies are the best – they think the Kaepernick thing will sell sneakers, and they’re probably right. They know what they’re doing.

They already lost $3.75B in market value on the news. It may be a blip, or it may not…

I know nothing about Nike, or the stock market. Hard to imagine they lost that much just because of one endorsement, but I guess anything is possible. What do I know?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.