Nikki Haley’s View of New York Is Priceless. Her Curtains? $52,701

Buried in the story is the little factoid that the curtains were bought in 2016, under the Obama administration and that Haley had nothing to do with it. And people still don’t get why “fake news” continues to gain traction.

Remarkable how these people live. Nikki Haley’s new digs might be an “economy” measure. From the article:

" For decades, her predecessors lived in the Waldorf Astoria hotel."

If I were the tsar, I would buy a very large tract of land in rural Virginia and install countless mobile home hookups, requiring that government employees who did not buy their own homes could rent one of those mobile homes. As for entertaining foreigners (especially UN people) I think there are plenty of miles of beach not too far from DC where the U.S. could host “keggers”, with hot dogs, chips and marshmallows in large quantities…and free, too.

Nikki Haley Wasn’t Responsible For Her Nearly $53K Curtains
Leah Barkoukis Posted: Sep 14, 2018

Nikki Haley, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, has come under fire over expensive curtains that were installed in her official residence given the State Department’s deep budget cuts and hiring freeze. There’s just one problem—the nearly $53,000 furnishing was approved under the Obama administration in 2016.

The New York Times’s report on the curtains explains that Haley is the first ambassador to live in the nearly 6,000 square foot penthouse in Manhattan ever since the Waldorf Astoria, where her predecessors lived for decades, was purchased by a Chinese company. For security reasons, the new living situation was arranged.

It wasn’t until the sixth paragraph, however, that the Times reported that Haley had nothing to do with the purchase, which was approved under the Obama administration.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2018/09/14/nikki-haleys-curtains-n2518934

I read this earlier.

So it was included in the article.

How often do people read to the 6th paragraph? With the number of news stories, I’d say for myself at least, I will usually read until the 3rd or 4th.

I try to read the entire article.

If it’s in the article, it means they reported it.

Perhaps she had them dry-cleaned? (Just kidding.)

And that is what the OP said, that the factoid was buried in the article.

We should be discussing the hurricane instead of the cost of curtains. :wink:

I do believe government waste is perceived as a problem by many people. If you find it trivial, then, so be it.

Obama ordered the curtains, not Haley.

Why because it shows the hypocrisy of the left?

Even the NYT realizes they were wrong. They’ve updated the articles and added the following:

Editors’ Note: September 14, 2018

An earlier version of this article and headline created an unfair impression about who was responsible for the purchase in question. While Nikki R. Haley is the current ambassador to the United Nations, the decision on leasing the ambassador’s residence and purchasing the curtains was made during the Obama administration, according to current and former officials. The article should not have focused on Ms. Haley, nor should a picture of her have been used. The article and headline have now been edited to reflect those concerns, and the picture has been removed.

50 years ago, the “New York Times” was the number one U.S. newspaper, a reputation they had for its intelligent coverage and accuracy. I well remember this from what I was young.
Since then it has gone in a long decline in quality. Since then it has even become a source of fake news to smear the President and his administration. In this case they were caught our the same day so badly they had to retract what they said the same day.

Didn’t she contradict the White House on a foreign matter recently? Whose side were you on then?

Well that depends on what she said.

Supposedly the previous building was purchased by China and the Americans wanted the residence to be in a location that is more secure from electronic evesdropping.

closed #18

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.