Nine real technologies that will soon be inside you

1. Implantable smartphones
    Sure, we’re virtual connected to our phones 24/7 now, but what if we were actually connected to our phones?

That’s already starting to happen.

Last year, for instance, artist Anthony Antonellis had an RFID chip embedded in his arm that could store and transfer art to his handheld smartphone…

1. Healing chips
    Right now, patients are using cyber-implants that tie directly to smartphone apps to monitor and treat diseases.

A new bionic pancreas being tested at America’s Boston University, for instance, has a tiny sensor on an implantable needle that talks directly to a smartphone app to monitor blood-sugar levels for diabetics…

1. Cyber pills that talk to your doctor
    Implantables won’t just communicate with your phone; they’ll chat up your doctor, too.

In a project named Proteus, after the eensy body-navigating vessel in the film Fantastic Voyage, a British research team is developing cyber-pills with microprocessors in them that can text doctors directly from inside your body…

1. Bill Gates’ implantable birth control
    The Gates Foundation is supporting an MIT project to create an implantable female compu-contraceptive controlled by an external remote control.

The tiny chip generates small amounts of contraceptive hormone from within the woman’s body for up to 16 years…

1. Smart tattoos
    Tattoos are hip and seemingly ubiquitous, so why not smart, digital tattoos that not only look cool, but can also perform useful tasks, like unlocking your car or entering mobile phone codes with a finger-point?

Researchers at the University of Illinois have crafted an implantable skin mesh of computer fibers thinner than a human hair that can monitor your body’s inner workings from the surface…

1. Brain-computer interface
    Having the human brain linked directly to computers is the dream (or nightmare) of sci-fi.

But now, a team at Brown University called BrainGate is at the forefront of the real-world movement to link human brains directly to computers for a host of uses…

1. Meltable bio-batteries
    One of the challenges for implantable tech has been how to get power to devices tethered inside or floating around in human bodies.

You can’t plug them in.

You can’t easily take them out to replace a battery.

A team at Draper Laboratory in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is working on biodegradable batteries.

They generate power inside the body, transfer it wirelessly where needed, and then simply melt away.

Another project is looking at how to use the body’s own glucose to generate power for implantables…

1. Smart dust
    Perhaps the most startling of current implantable innovations is smart dust, arrays of full computers with antennas, each much smaller than a grain of sand, that can organize themselves inside the body into as-needed networks to power a whole range of complex internal processes.

Imagine swarms of these nano-devices, called motes, attacking early cancer or bringing pain relief to a wound or even storing critical personal information in a manner that is deeply encrypted and hard to hack…

1. The verified self
    Implantables hammer against social norms.

They raise privacy issues and even point to a larger potential dystopia.

This technology could be used to ID every single human being, for example.

Already, the US military has serious programs afoot to equip soldiers with implanted RFID chips, so keeping track of troops becomes automatic and worldwide…

More:
au.news.yahoo.com/technology/a/25293925/nine-real-technologies-that-will-soon-be-inside-you/

Assuming of course any of the above technologies are connected to a larger network 24/7. Last time I checked, Apple’s way ahead in making sure that’s not happening anymore (even to the expense of government authorities).

Always liked the smart tattoos though. If your dystopia features telekinetic technopaths, sign me up! I always wanted to be that kind of hitman. :cool:

Well what if there’s secretly a super massive black hole inside the Earth’s core, that’s so far been disguised by a dog who is a giant man-eating clown from a secret potato factory 300 miles into the atmosphere of Jupiter.

I mean if we’re going to come up with these implausible scenarios let’s at least go all out with it.

Hey! I’m a member of the SPWU (Secret Potato Factory Workers United) labor union, don’t take us less seriously just because our security if a giant clown!

Is it a union shop? People with over active imaginations are dying to know.

If all this stuff helps to keep people alive, why the heqq not???

ICXC NIKA

It is! You should see our dental!

Indeed. Along with the promise of superpowers. In all of us, the Force shall be strong. :whacky:

Because everyone who has read the Left Behind series knows that inserting technology into your body is the equivalent of accepting the mark of the beast… :stuck_out_tongue:

But on a serious note, like many other technological break throughs, it can be a very great thing for man-kind, but understandably people get worried about how it can be abused to do evil.

I think its fascinating.

I would imagine you would need all the health benefits you could get, living in Jupiter.

Imagine the advances down the road…adapt our physiology to planetary life presently impossible right now. These nano-bots inside of us, transforming our biology to make it possible to breath an atmosphere other than what the Earth has to offer. Perhaps it sounds far-fetched, but hey, all of these technologies that are here NOW seemed impossible not even a year ago.

#2 sounds okay

#4 sounds like IPPF’s dream…could be used for population control purposes

Imagine that black hole I mentioned earlier and the secret potato factory in Jupiter.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.