Nine ways of being an accessory to another’s sin

JMJ

Nine ways of being an accessory to another’s sin.
**1.**By Counsel
**2.**By Command
**3.**By Consent
**4.**By Concealment
**5.**By Defense of Evil Done
**6.**By Partaking
**7.**By Provocation
**8.**By Praise
**9.**By Silence

[font=Times New Roman]Accessory to another’s sin[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]We all have a responsibility for the sins of others. When we cooperate in them, we are an accessory to these sins, and this is possible in nine ways: By Counsel, By Command, By Consent, By Concealment, By Defense of Evil Done, By Partaking, By Provocation, By Praise, By Silence.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman]As practicing Catholics and Christians, we are not merely compelled to avoid sinning. We are compelled to avoid the occasion of sin, to avoid the temptation of sin and try to live by the example that Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, gave us. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]It is not enough to avoid evil but we must also avoid the appearance of evil as well. It is not enough to merely avoid wrong-doing but to speak-out against any wrong- doing. We are all called to defend our faith and God’s laws. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman]If someone is aware of an evil committed, there are nine ways that we can end up being guilty by our participation, or omission, regarding another’s sin. Unfortunately, “Silence” in face of evil, is common, when we choose to be silent we allow sin to occur and in by doing so, we too sin.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]

[font=MS Mincho][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Quote:
*[font=MS Mincho][font=Times New Roman][size=3]“Lord forgive me for what I have done and what I have failed to do” *[/size]

[/size][/font]
[/font][/font] [/font][/font]

JMJ
Continued from last post-

There are many who post here who are very articulate in their arguments but no argument is greater or more compelling than the Word of God. Sometimes we think we are so smart and that we can rationalize our way out of sin, we can’t.

Our “intellect” is nothing compared to our Lord. The best way to approach a question or problem is through complete humility. Without humility, we allow the pride in us to come out and overtake us, and convince us that we are so smart and that we have it all figured out. We don’t!

Instead of letting others (from the secular community) shape your opinions, pray and ask God to help you understand. Do so, fully surrendering to him, with complete humility and see if you still come-up with the same answer(s) to some of the questions posed here at Catholic Answers Forums. You don’t have to be a Roman Catholic to utilize some of the awesome gifts that God has given us to gain a better understanding of His full love and truth.

This would include by not be limited to:

1. The Bible

2. Praying

3. The Catechism of the Catholic Church

4. The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis

5. The Catholic Prayer Book

6. [size=3]The Lives of the Saints[/size]

May you grow closer to God every day!., Continue your journey!

I love most of this but part of it is EXTREMELY harsh and inhumane, and therefore questionable.

also avoid the appearance of evil as well

Jesus went through a terrible scandal when He was on the cross. He was called a sinner, terrible things were said about Him, He was accused of doing all kinds of evil things. Just by EXISTING and doing what was right and not defending Himself He did not avoid the “appearance of evil” yet He didn’t contribute to this so called “appearance” either. It was just in everyone’s jealous heads.

It doesn’t seem to me that failure to avoid the appearance of evil is a sin because best efforts aren’t always possible (what could He do from the cross?) and despite best efforts some can construe said appearance.

But I could be wrong.

What do you think?

These could be harsh and possibly inhumane. They perhaps are guidelines for *some *circumstances, not rules.

It is not enough to avoid evil but we must also avoid the appearance of evil as well.

Jesus wasn’t able to. His sentencing was a huge scandal.He appeared to be very evil indeed, crucified as He was with two common criminals.
“appearance” is in the eye of the beholder and if the beholder is jealous or a bully, how they decide we appear is out of our control.

Nine ways of being an accessory to another’s sin … let us see…

By praise or flattery - "Woman, Has no one condemned you? neither do I condemn you. " John 9:10
By concealment - "Father, forgive them they know not what they do…"
By partaking -
By consent - They lay him on the cross and he stretched out his arms to be nailed.
By silence -the rulers also scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, " but He did nothing
By defense of the ill done - “Father, forgive them they know not what they do…”

These maybe…
By counsel
By command
By provocation

HIs yoke is easy and His burden is light… that’s why we love Him so much!

That doesn’t sound like praise or flattery. He didn’t say “way to go babe! He must have been really handsome!”

By concealment - “Father, forgive them they know not what they do…”

Forgiveness is not concealment.

By consent - They lay him on the cross and he stretched out his arms to be nailed.

He was not consenting to sin.

By silence -the rulers also scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, " but He did nothing

Do you think that if he were to have said something, they would have changed their mind? Their minds were closed to him. Nothing he would have said would have mattered.

By defense of the ill done - “Father, forgive them they know not what they do…”

He wasn’t defending the ill done - he was begging for their forgiveness and showing he understands their weakness - without approving of the action.

Hello mariedibourd,

***I don’t know if I understand the purpose of your post. **Under the old teachings of the Catholic Church, the faithful were asked to memorize the “nine ways of being an accessory to another’s sin”. ***The “Nine ways of being an accessory to another’s sin”, isn’t something that I came up with, it is a belief taught by the Catholic Church for hundreds of years…a belief rooted in the Bible. If you have a problem with this concept, it isn’t with me; it’s with the Catholic Church. If you think that I misunderstood your post, then please explain yourself, thank you. **

Catechism of the Catholic Church** (CCC)**

**1868 **

Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

• by participating directly and voluntarily in them;
  • by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;
  • by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;
  • by protecting evil-doers.

[LEFT]A MANUAL OF PRAYERS for the use of the Catholic Laity (copyright 1888) [/LEFT]

Nine Ways of Being Accessory to Another’s Sin. See Page 29 – Here

This is, without a doubt, the most disturbing post I have ever seen by anyone here who referes to themself as a Catholic.

This post is nothing less than heinous blasphemy.

**Father John Corapi, SOLT, STD, **wrote about theNine Ways of Being Accessory to Another’s Sin”.
HERE

I would also like to thank JimmyB for posting this. It is a very important concept to keep in mind and is often lost on people.

Thank your for posting this, Jimmy B.

It so happens that I just finished watching this on EWTN. Having been to his entire series in person and enjoyed reruns of his talks, his name should be on the list earlier as a wonderful resource I cannot get enough of listening to him and he’s an amazing resource. He read scripture at the end of his talk, Ezekiel Cha[ter 3, which put this into perspective for me. Sobering, to be sure: www.usccb.org/nab/bible/ezekiel/ezekiel3.htm.

God bless, .
Maggie

"As practicing Catholics and Christians, we are not merely compelled to avoid sinning. We are compelled to avoid the occasion of sin, to avoid the temptation of sin and try to live by the example that Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior, gave us. "

Care to give an example of Jesus avoiding temptation? Obviously you shouldn’t run around trying to be tempted, that’s just common sense- however, I’ve seen the assertion that not actively avoiding potential-sin is sinful in and of itself.

“It is not enough to avoid evil but we must also avoid the appearance of evil as well. It is not enough to merely avoid wrong-doing but to speak-out against any wrong- doing. We are all called to defend our faith and God’s laws.”

Let’s say it’s lent and I’m supposed to be fasting- and I do. However, I also 'anoint my head with oil and wash me face so that * do not appear to be fasting. I am giving the appearance of sinning or atleast being impious am I not?

Jesus seemed to be of the opinion that we shouldn’t be concerned with how others judge our actions.

Edit- also “- by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so” does not seem to oblige everyone to report or stop every evil act they see under pain of sin, but rather only those who are obligated to do so.*

Matthew 4:1-11

1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.
2 He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was hungry.
3 The tempter approached and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread."
4 He said in reply, "It is written: ‘One does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.’"
5 Then the devil took him to the holy city, and made him stand on the parapet of the temple,
6 and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: 'He will command his angels concerning you and ‘with their hands they will support you, lest you dash your foot against a stone.’"
7 Jesus answered him, "Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.’"
8 Then the devil took him up to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their magnificence,
9 and he said to him, "All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me."
10 At this, Jesus said to him, "Get away, Satan! It is written: ‘The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.’"
11 Then the devil left him and, behold, angels came and ministered to him.

Jesus was tempted in the desert by the Devil and he said, “Get away Satan”… and Satan left Him.

Our response to those who tempt us, should be, “Get away”, or “Go away”, this is one way for us to avoid temptation and sin, or the occasion of sin; simply say - “Get away”.

Your thoughts?

Every time we reject temptation we say “get away Satan”

Had Christ left the desert, that would have been avoiding temptation.

How do you define an evil?
Do you mean the committing of any mortal sin or do you also include venial sins?

And, every time we say “get away Satan” we reject temptation.

Situations in which temptation is possible are not Satan- Jesus must of known he would have been tempted in the desert, yet he entered anyway trusting in his ability to stand up to said temptation.

Thistle,

Great question.

From the Catholic Encyclopedia, “With regard to the nature of evil, it should be observed that evil is of three kinds — physical, moral, and metaphysical” There is a terrific resource here: www.newadvent.org/cathen/05649a.htm that explains it very well.

I should think this would apply to both, mortal and venial only referring the degree of sin.

I hope this is helpful !

peace,
Maggie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.