Nintendo DS or PSP

Just looking for opinions... considering picking one of the two up but I'm quite torn as both seem to have lots of cool games some of which are exclusive to that system.

For the most part I like mostly RPGs, action/adventure and platforming type games.

Thoughts? Opinions?

GO!

Neither. Get Nintendo 3DS, which is backwards compatible with Nintendo DS. :D Personally, I prefer the Nintendo (3)DS' selection of software titles. Some of my choices: Valkyrie Profile, Metal Slug 7, Megaman ZX, and Dragon Quest series. NDS has about 1150 games available, PSP has about 680.

[quote="Paul1Up, post:2, topic:229588"]
Neither. Get Nintendo 3DS, which is backwards compatible with Nintendo DS. :D Personally, I prefer the Nintendo (3)DS' selection of software titles. Some of my choices: Valkyrie Profile, Metal Slug 7, Megaman ZX, and Dragon Quest series. NDS has about 1150 games available, PSP has about 680.

[/quote]

I could afford that... but frankly I'm looking for the cheaper option simply because it wont' be something that I'll play very often... primarily looking to have it for trips and random moments of boredom. Plus with the vast library the DS currently has since I've never played any of the games I'll have plenty to play before feeling the urge to play any of the latest and greatest.

It's odd but as technology has progressed in video games I've fallen further behind since I don't have near as much time to play them anymore... I'm still playing games that I can pick up used for less than $20 lol.

I could afford that... but frankly I'm looking for the cheaper option simply because it wont' be something that I'll play very often... primarily looking to have it for trips and random moments of boredom. Plus with the vast library the DS currently has since I've never played any of the games I'll have plenty to play before feeling the urge to play any of the latest and greatest.

It's odd but as technology has progressed in video games I've fallen further behind since I don't have near as much time to play them anymore... I'm still playing games that I can pick up used for less than $20 lol.

That's alright. I don't actually own any console except for a PS2, and even then I mostly use it as a DVD player. The rest I play at my cousins' or friends' homes. I've never been or attempted to be ahead when it comes to tech stuff. I'm perfectly satisfied my 4 year old PC and my modest collection of games for it. And with third-party software like DOSBox, my games will always work, no matter how old they get and no matter how many different computers I go through.
Have you thought about getting some kind of smartphone? There's plenty of interesting games for those as well, and it's also more practical in many ways than either an NDS or PSP.

How about a DSi or DSiXL? They're not much more and you can do so much more with them. Like...take pictures, easily download music to listen to off of the SD card slot, browse the internet with Wi-Fi, etc. Plus, since it's a clamshell design, your screen will be protected when you close it when not in use. There are more games available and with an added Nintendo Points card you can download retro games (if you had any favorites as a kid).

[quote="His_little1, post:5, topic:229588"]
How about a DSi or DSiXL? They're not much more and you can do so much more with them. Like...take pictures, easily download music to listen to off of the SD card slot, browse the internet with Wi-Fi, etc. Plus, since it's a clamshell design, your screen will be protected when you close it when not in use. There are more games available and with an added Nintendo Points card you can download retro games (if you had any favorites as a kid).

[/quote]

The DS and DS Lite also have a clamshell design. They also have a slot for the old GameBoy Advance games, too, whereas the DSi and DSi XL do not. So that's something to consider as well.

I never got into the handheld gaming thing, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but from what I've read, the DS has more in terms of RPGs. I would also be very surprised if the Nintendo handheld did not have many more platformers as well. DS definitely has the larger library overall since it has sold so much more than the PSP (144 million vs. 62 million). Of course, quantity and quality don't necessarily go hand in hand. :p

As I am pretty much a Nintendo fanboy, I would go with the DS. The 3DS looks really cool and very tempting, but second to that, I would probably go with the DSi XL because of the bigger screen. Amazon still has the Special Edition DSi XL with Mario Kart DS for just $10 more than the regular DSi XL. Since Mario Kart DS would be a given purchase with me, that's the route I would go.

I am extremely biased in this regard, though, so it's difficult for me to give an objective response. :o

[quote="Paul1Up, post:4, topic:229588"]
That's alright. I don't actually own any console except for a PS2, and even then I mostly use it as a DVD player. The rest I play at my cousins' or friends' homes. I've never been or attempted to be ahead when it comes to tech stuff. I'm perfectly satisfied my 4 year old PC and my modest collection of games for it. And with third-party software like DOSBox, my games will always work, no matter how old they get and no matter how many different computers I go through.
Have you thought about getting some kind of smartphone? There's plenty of interesting games for those as well, and it's also more practical in many ways than either an NDS or PSP.

[/quote]

I actually have a Droid that I have a few games on but most of them don't have any kind of depth to them and the touch screen controls are pain.

I had to say the DS. The PSP has better controls in my experience, and for downloaded games it is better, but for normal games, the disc is annoying. OTOH, the PSP does have more flexibility for saved game data, and also you can download multiple (full-length) games and put them all on the same memory card. (the games are NOT free, BTW!) A lot of times the DS games that use the touch screen use it in an annoying and/or pointless way (like someone just shoved the touching part in on top of a game that was already complete), but sometimes when the touch screen is really integrated into the play it is a lot of fun. But in general, the DS just also tends to have a better game selection, IMO.

Personally I have never gone to the DSi or the DSiXL or the 3DS, for actual reasons other than money.

The DS Lite has, as Joe 5859 mentioned, a backward compatibility slot for the GBA games. I started with the handheld games with the GBA so it is a concern for me. I am not sure whether it would actually be a concern for anyone buying "from scratch" however, as I have no idea whether it is possible/impossible/cheap/expensive to buy the GBA games now. But that, and the fact that I already have all the cameras and music players I need (OK, several more than I need), and I don't particularly need to browse the web on my game system, decided me against getting a DSi. Actually when they came out, I bought a new DS, as a backup, because I was (incorrectly) afraid they'd stop selling them. (and also because it was a pretty color. :blush: )

My concern against the DSiXL is that a lot of time is spent holding the device. Frequently most of the weight is resting on one or both pinkies. If you play the DS Lite too long and are NOT still 15 years old, your pinkies get sore. The DSiXL is even heavier, so this would be a bigger problem (although perhaps not with a guy, I don't know about relative pinkie strength. :) )

Of course, one reason that I haven't gone to the 3DS is that it hasn't been released yet, AFAIK. And it is pretty expensive. Plus, the battery life is supposed to be much shorter (according to the Nintendo site) than for the regular DS. I should think it would be quite a while before there were a lot of games available for the 3DS, so mostly you would be playing DS games on it, so it is a lot of money to pay for a feature that won't probably get much use for a while. Also the 3DS has a motion sensor which I don't personally want in a hand-held. I don't want to mess up my game because the plane hit some turbulence.

So I'd probably just go for the DS Lite. But if you find touch-screen controld annoying and like a lot of the downloadable games for the PSP, that might be better for you.

Your mileage may vary.

--Jen

Personally, I'd got with a DS. They hold up quite well (my daughter currently uses my DSi much more than I do) and have a vast selection of game variety. The PSP, in my opinion isn't worth it unless their game selection has gotten greatly better in the past couple of years. But then perhaps there are games available for the PSP that you like. For me there wasn't enough offered that appealed to me to make it worth the investment.

So yep, I think a DS (of some variety) is a good investment if looking for a handheld. :)

What does this have to with your Catholic faith again?

[quote="I_Love_U_Jesus, post:10, topic:229588"]
What does this have to with your Catholic faith again?

[/quote]

Absolutely nothing. I never claimed otherwise.

This is a public forum in which we are entitled to post and ask whatever we wish provided it falls within the rules and guidelines of the administrators. Here's the list of banned topics... it says nothing about video games.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=270175

Like any forum, this is a community. I was curious as to the opinions of those in this community on this subject. If you don't like it then why bother replying with nothing more than a snarky question that you posted purely to elicit a response assuming I said or implied something that I didn't?

You’re better off with the PSP. If simple action/adventure and platform are your thing then I don’t see why you oughta bother yourself with using a stylus. As far as RPGs go, I’ve seen better ones on the PSP and a wider selection as well. So far the only noteworthy RPGs I saw were:

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Final Fantasy IV (remake)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Zelda (franchise)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
The World Ends With You

and of course, how can I not mention the ever so popular Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, and White. :stuck_out_tongue: (Sorry, Pokemon was my very first hobby in geekdom so it’s one of the few things I cherish from my childhood. :o)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.