NME: Why Do Metal Bands Always Get Blamed?

This editorial from NME (U.K.) should be reprinted in U.S. newspapers. Of course, I'm still waiting for WND/Fox News to "investigate" the Drowning Pool:

From the article:*Does listening to metal turn people violent? Of course it doesn't. But it's notable that whenever shocking acts of violence occur in America, you can be sure that someone somewhere will try and draw a link with the listening habits of the accused.

Last week, Drowning Pool were forced to issue a statement condemning the shootings in Arizona. The Texan alt-rockers spoke out after their 2001 hit ‘Bodies’ was found to be a YouTube favourite of Jared Loughner, the 22-year-old currently facing trial over the incident in which six people were killed and US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head.
‘Bodies’ itself, which is a chugging metal anthem without much depth, has quite a chequered history.** It’s been used as a method of torture used at Guantanamo Bay and is frequently named as a favourite of soldiers who want to get pumped up before they engage in active duty. ** [emphasis added] That’s obviously not the band’s fault - but that has never stopped commentators, sections of the media and members of the public from pinning the blame on metal bands in the past. *
Source: nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=149&p=9654&title=why_do_metal_bands_get_blamed_for_violen&more=1&c=1

I don’t know about metal, but today, a young man pulled up next to me at a red light, his streo blazing gangster rap. The lyrics were:

You gonna respect me
Because I got s
if you don’t respect me
You gonna get shot*

This kind of “music” is a cancer on our youth. It teaches them to value things as a source of their self esteem and to earn “respect” through violence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.