No center aisle in Protestant Churches?

I’ve noticed for sometime now but can someone tell me has Protestant churches always not had a center aisles and is the reason to show their indifference toward the Catholic Church?

Hmmm - I think almost every Protestant church I’ve been in has had a center aisle (Pentecostal, Baptist, Methodist, Assembly of God, Lutheran, Church of God). Maybe this is unique to my area.

I attended a particular protestant church (Baptist, if you must know) well over 10 years and it has a center aisle…

I have not seen any Protestant churches without a center isle, and I have been in the following kinds: Anglican, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Free-will, and two non-denominational. The only church I have seen the inside of that has not had a center isle was an LDS church (but I only saw pictures online, so I can’t say if this is typical.)

My Catholic Church doesn’t have a centre aisle…

[quote=J.R.]I’ve noticed for sometime now but can someone tell me has Protestant churches always not had a center aisles and is the reason to show their indifference toward the Catholic Church?
[/quote]

the typical Western Reserve Congregational Church, white clapboard with a steeple, usually has a center aisle, with pew or benches on each side, and if large enough, side aisles. don’t know where you came up with such a global generalization

the presbyterian church that my finace is a member off does not have a center aisle, there is seats in the middle and then 2 aisles and then more seats

[quote=puzzleannie]the typical Western Reserve Congregational Church, white clapboard with a steeple, usually has a center aisle, with pew or benches on each side, and if large enough, side aisles. don’t know where you came up with such a global generalization
[/quote]

First , it was **not ** a global generalization it was merely an observation of the Protestant churches that I have seen in my area.

Hmm but what about the global generalisation of the Catholic Church? Like I said, my own Church does not have a centre aisle. Aren’t you suggesting that ALL Catholic Churches have centre aisles? And if you are not, then what are you saying? I don’t get it…

Oh, no! We now have no center aisles :eek:

It’s time
to Call Out the … The Architectural Police!http://bestsmileys.com/working/3.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/working/9.gif

Where does the bride enter??

[quote=Atreyu]Hmm but what about the global generalisation of the Catholic Church? Like I said, my own Church does not have a centre aisle. Aren’t you suggesting that ALL Catholic Churches have centre aisles? And if you are not, then what are you saying? I don’t get it…
[/quote]

Gee, I give up. I make an observation and everyone’s a wise guy or gal.

[quote=J.R.]Gee, I give up. I make an observation and everyone’s a wise guy or gal.
[/quote]

Welcome to CAF!http://bestsmileys.com/poking/3.gif

[quote=J.R.]Gee, I give up. I make an observation and everyone’s a wise guy or gal.
[/quote]

Yes, definately welcome to CAF.

I think it depends on the church it’s-self. The Baptist church I attended when I was a kid decided to expand the chapel. Before it had 2 full rows of pews with a center isle, but after the expansion, it had 3 full rows of pews with no center isle.

God Bless

I think it very much depends on what kind of Protestant church you are talking about.

I was raised in a Fundamentalist church that had no centre aisle. They called their place of worship an auditorium, not a church, not a sanctuary. And that is exactly what it was an auditorium. The center of attention was a pulpit front and center at the highest elevation in the place. There was a tiny table (no altar) brought in on “Lord’s Supper” Sundays placed on floor level in front of the pulpit that was taken away between “LS” Sundays. There were no pews, but tip-up auditorium seating, like in a theatre. Come to think of it they had theatre coloured floods too, all the lights except the floods on the pulpit were made very dim during the highlight of the service … the 45 minute sermon.

I have noticed that Protestant churches which are less Evangelical/Fundamentalist and more liturgical like Episcopal/Lutheran/Methodist have centre aisles.

[/quote]

Don’t let it get to you. I’ve been noticing it alot on these forums. Just ignore them or report the post.

One thing I have noticed in the Protestant Churches that I have gone to, is that the center isle is smaller then the isle in the Catholic Church I go to. My guess for this is that the Priest and others all walk down the center isle with him and you really don’t have this in Protestant Churches (not saying all just saying the ones I’ve been too).

[quote=Shinobu].

One thing I have noticed in the Protestant Churches that I have gone to, is that the center isle is smaller then the isle in the Catholic Church I go to. My guess for this is that the Priest and others all walk down the center isle with him and you really don’t have this in Protestant Churches (not saying all just saying the ones I’ve been too).
[/quote]

Fundamental Protestants as a rule do not have processions. The minister and choir (if they have one) enter from a hidden door at the front.

Also another reason for narrower center aisles in those that have them is that at Catholic funerals the coffin is placed there, end-to-end. I every Protestant funeral the coffin is placed at the front of the auditorium sideways like an altar.

[quote=boppysbud]Fundamental Protestants as a rule do not have processions. The minister and choir (if they have one) enter from a hidden door at the front.

Also another reason for narrower center aisles in those that have them is that at Catholic funerals the coffin is placed there, end-to-end. I every Protestant funeral the coffin is placed at the front of the auditorium sideways like an altar.
[/quote]

Oh, now that you say this I remember that I always see them enter from the side doors! (In the Protestant Churches I’ve been to)

Thank you for that piece of information.

I grew up in Protestant churches, and they ALL have had a center aisle! I don’t think I’ve ever been in any church that does not have a center aisle…

Catholic Lady

[quote=Shinobu] . . . My guess for this is that the Priest and others all walk down the center isle with him and you really don’t have this in Protestant Churches (not saying all just saying the ones I’ve been too).
[/quote]

I think the procession of Celebrant and all down the aisle is a fairly recent innovation. The Sacristy used to be, and still is in many churches, just to the side of the altar and the entrance was made from there.

I think the procession down the aisle is becoming more common, and seems to be encouraged in the newer rubrics, but the aisle was there long before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.