No Chapel- perpetual adoration

Ummm, I’m afraid I know what the answer to this is but here goes anyway-- I live in a small town with a very small Church. We have no chapel. The tabernacle is on the altar. Does this mean we cannot have Perpetual Adoration?

[quote=katewithak]Ummm, I’m afraid I know what the answer to this is but here goes anyway-- I live in a small town with a very small Church. We have no chapel. The tabernacle is on the altar. Does this mean we cannot have Perpetual Adoration?
[/quote]

If you have only the Church and no small chapel you won’t be able to have perpetual adoration because the Blessed Sacrament will be in the tabernacle while mass is being celebrated, but that doesn’t mean your Church couldn’t have adoration.

God Bless,
Matt

[quote=marty1818]If you have only the Church and no small chapel you won’t be able to have perpetual adoration because the Blessed Sacrament will be in the tabernacle while mass is being celebrated, but that doesn’t mean your Church couldn’t have adoration.

God Bless,
Matt
[/quote]

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

[quote=katewithak]Ummm, I’m afraid I know what the answer to this is but here goes anyway-- I live in a small town with a very small Church. We have no chapel. The tabernacle is on the altar. Does this mean we cannot have Perpetual Adoration?
[/quote]

It is strange that the tabernacle is on the altar. According to the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

1. It is more in keeping with the meaning of the sign that the tabernacle in which the Most Holy Eucharist is reserved not be on an altar on which Mass is celebrated.[Footnote 128. Cf. Sacred Congregation of Rites, Instruction Eucharisticum mysterium, On the worship of the Eucharist, 25 May 1967. no. 55: AAS 59 (1967), p. 569.]

From usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter5.shtml

What type of Perpetual Adoration are you concerned about? If you are asking can the Blessed Sacrament be exposed in a monstrance during Mass, the answer is “no”. According to the Code of Canon Law, canon 941.2 “Exposition of the Most Holy Sacrament is not to be held in the same part of the church or oratory during the celebration of Mass.” (From Code of Canon Law, Canon Law Society of America, 1995, ISBN 0-943616-20-4, page 349).

Perhaps you are wondering if by building a chapel there could be continuous exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, whether people were present or not. The 2004 Instruction “Redemptionis Sacramentum” made it clear that this is not permitted: “138. Still, the Most Holy Sacrament, when exposed, must never be left unattended even for the briefest space of time. It should therefore be arranged that a least some of the faithful always be present at fixed times, even if they take alternating turns.”

[quote=John Lilburne]It is strange that the tabernacle is on the altar. According to the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal:
From usccb.org/liturgy/current/chapter5.shtml

What type of Perpetual Adoration are you concerned about? If you are asking can the Blessed Sacrament be exposed in a monstrance during Mass, the answer is “no”. According to the Code of Canon Law, canon 941.2 “Exposition of the Most Holy Sacrament is not to be held in the same part of the church or oratory during the celebration of Mass.” (From Code of Canon Law, Canon Law Society of America, 1995, ISBN 0-943616-20-4, page 349).

Perhaps you are wondering if by building a chapel there could be continuous exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, whether people were present or not. The 2004 Instruction “Redemptionis Sacramentum” made it clear that this is not permitted: “138. Still, the Most Holy Sacrament, when exposed, must never be left unattended even for the briefest space of time. It should therefore be arranged that a least some of the faithful always be present at fixed times, even if they take alternating turns.”
[/quote]

No I do not think we could have adoration without anyone present. Even I’m smart enough to know that. I simply was not sure that the Sacrament could not be exposed during Mass is all.
The tabernacle is not on the altar proper. Excuse me I do not know the name of the part of the Church it is at. It is to the right of the altar (the priests right) against the back wall behind the pulpit. :o :o :o I;ve just always called that whole area the altar.

Many churches in our area still have Perpertual Adoration if there is no chapel. The Blessed Sacrament is “reposed” during the times for Mass, then returned to continue PA.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.