no communion,communion at wedding ceremony?

Our family is Catholic and my daughter is marring a Protestant. We would like to know if
it is acceptable for them not to have communion at their ceremony? I understand that we could do it for the Catholic guests, but would like to omit it so the groom doesn’t feel left out or awkward. We are also trying to shorten the ceremony to a half hour to make our travel to the reception not having to arrive too late.
What do you recommend?
Thank you, Myrna

Generally speaking I don’t think its a very good sign when the planning for the sacrament of marriage plays second fiddle to the planning for the party afterwards. Without the former, there’s no reason for the latter.

As for a marriage between a Catholic and a non-Catholic, it is indeed generally recommended that the marriage not take place during a Mass due to only half of the newly married couple and their guests being able to receive communion. The rite of marriage outside of Mass essentially follows the same rite as marriage within Mass, the only exception being the omitting of the liturgy of the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.