No creed at mass

This is the second time in a row a priest at my parish has left out the creed at mass. I thought you were always supposed to say the creed on Sundays (including the Saturday vigil) and Holy Days. I think it can be omitted if a baptism is performed instead.

I guess if he does it again I will ask him why he omits it. Not sure if it is because of Lent. Not that I think that is a good reason to skip it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen.

If you have people in RCIA, the Scrutinies replace the Creed the 3rd, 4th & 5th Sundays of Lent.
It would be best to check with your Pastor.

Have a look here:

latincatholic.tripod.com/id26.html

This is the answer to question 13, about whether the Creed may be omitted:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]“the Creed may never be omitted on Sundays or Holy Days. (GIRM 44)”[/FONT]

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:2, topic:317900"]
If you have people in RCIA, the Scrutinies replace the Creed the 3rd, 4th & 5th Sundays of Lent.
It would be best to check with your Pastor.

[/quote]

Yes, that occurred last weekend (at a different parish). The priest explained that the Scrutinies took the place of the creed. However, at my parish, the priest goes straight from the homily to the prayers of the faithful. It makes me wonder if I am going to a valid or illicit mass.

The Creed must be recited on Sundays. It can be replaced by the renewal of Baptismal promises if a baptism will take place during the Mass, or it may be replaced with the Scrutinies if there are people in the parish in RCIA. Those would be the only times either the Nicene or Apsotle's Creed would not be said,

What the priest is doing is "illicit" but I don't believe it would invalidate the Mass.

This is something that you need to bring up with your Pastor, as this should not be happening.

[quote="regression, post:4, topic:317900"]
Yes, that occurred last weekend (at a different parish). The priest explained that the Scrutinies took the place of the creed. However, at my parish, the priest goes straight from the homily to the prayers of the faithful. It makes me wonder if I am going to a valid or illicit mass.

[/quote]

[quote="regression, post:4, topic:317900"]

[/quote]

It is valid - only major abuses to do with the Eucharist itself (eg not saying or changing the words of consecration or having other than wheat bread and grape wine or lack of intent by the priest to consecrate the elements), I think, would make the Mass invalid.

Omitting the creed would not. It would be illicit to do so, but one's Sunday obligation would be met and one would truly receive the Eucharist.

Could the local bishop authorize the skipping of the creed?

[quote="regression, post:7, topic:317900"]
Could the local bishop authorize the skipping of the creed?

[/quote]

I don't believe so.

There is no mention of this being under the pervue of the Bishop in the GIRM

[quote="detoutcoeur, post:3, topic:317900"]
Have a look here:

latincatholic.tripod.com/id26.html

This is the answer to question 13, about whether the Creed may be omitted:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"the Creed may never be omitted on Sundays or Holy Days. (GIRM 44)"[/FONT]

[/quote]

Those answers are slightly out of date. For example the Apostles Creed may be used at any Mass, not just at a Children's Mass.

The GIRM does not usually cover special liturgies such as those for RCIA. Even though the GIRM seems to make absolute statements, those instructions don't necessarily apply in the case where a liturgy has it's own instructions.

The instructions for the RCIA are in a separate book.

When the Scrutinies take place during Mass the Creed and *General *intersessions may be omitted for pastoral reasons. (If the creed is said it takes place after dismissal of the Elect.)

In my experience the general intersessions usually get folded into the Intersessions for the Candidates and the Creed is often omitted.

[quote="SMHW, post:9, topic:317900"]
Those answers are slightly out of date. For example the Apostles Creed may be used at any Mass, not just at a Children's Mass.

[/quote]

Could I trouble you for a source concerning substitution of the Apostles Creed?
Our standard missalettes still present the Nicene Creed as the Sunday Norm with a notation that the Apostles Creed may be substituted at masses where children are present.
It would be helpful to have an official source and to know when the change was made. Thanks so much.:) jt

[quote="jeannetherese, post:10, topic:317900"]
Our standard missalettes still present the Nicene Creed as the Sunday Norm with a notation that the Apostles Creed may be substituted at masses where children are present.
It would be helpful to have an official source and to know when the change was made. Thanks so much.:) jt

[/quote]

The GIRM as adapted for the United States is on the USCCB website.

Here's the section that mentions the Creed. There is no preference specified for one Creed over the other.

From the USCCB

"the Profession of Faith then follows the homily, either the Nicene or Apostles' Creed."

Either are acceptable. Usually during Lent & Advent parishes in my diocese use the Apostle's Creed and during the rest of the year we use the Nicene. Not sure if a Bishop can decide for his diocese which one will be used or if that is up to the priest who is presiding. There is not much in the GIRM, other than it must be recited, in one of the forms that is acceptable, on Sundays.

[quote="jeannetherese, post:10, topic:317900"]

[/quote]

[quote="regression, post:1, topic:317900"]
This is the second time in a row a priest at my parish has left out the creed at mass. I thought you were always supposed to say the creed on Sundays (including the Saturday vigil) and Holy Days. I think it can be omitted if a baptism is performed instead.

I guess if he does it again I will ask him why he omits it. Not sure if it is because of Lent. Not that I think that is a good reason to skip it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen.

[/quote]

It's happened at my parish off and on the last few weeks and i've only just realised :) I may have to ask as to why because now that you've mentioned it it's downright odd.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.