No discussion here about Eric Rudolph?

I just did a search and found little reaction here. This guy pleaded guilty to the Atlanta Olympics bombing, which he did in the name of anti-abortion. The talk show host Michael Gallagher from Dallas had a guy on this morning who seemed to be in favor of violence to prevent abortions…sorry I just can’t go there, and was frankly relieved that there hadn’t been much news of abortion clinic bombings or torchings lately, but now this.

Is it licit to do evil so that good might come of it? I realize this can be an anti-war argument as well. But I think Rudolph has really hurt the prolife cause and made us all look like nuts. I was hoping those days were gone and a societal change of heart was possible now.

I hope the major prolife voices in this country publicly repudiate this guy.

I think hes a sicko that needs to go to prison for the rest of his everloving life! my grandmother and uncle were there when he bombed that place. hes an evil man who hurt a lot of people, and could have hurt my family. i say good bye and good riddens to garbage like that. violence is not the way to stop violence. he makes anti abortionists look bad, and our struggle look bad. dont let the door hit you on the toosh on your way out rudi!

I think as much as the public can be sort of foggy about these issues, I truly do not believe Eric Rudolph is seen as a spokesman for the ProLife movement. He’s a lone nut and just because he says he bombed the abortion clinic because of his religious feelings, doesn’t mean that the religion approves of it. I heard several ProLife speakers who disassociated themselves completely with Rudolph. That he also bombed the Olympic square certainly makes him seem like a wacko not a member of a recognized group.

Lisa N

I take comfort in the fact that he will spend the rest of his miserable life in a cage.

[quote=Lisa N]I think as much as the public can be sort of foggy about these issues, I truly do not believe Eric Rudolph is seen as a spokesman for the ProLife movement.

[/quote]

Yeah but the libs are always raising the spectre of Abortion Bombers, like it happens all the time, and I was rather proud of the fact that this sort of protest had tapered off. Of course the Atlanta thing was a long time ago too.

He’s confessed to blowing people up, shown no remorse, and now he’s going to jail where he belongs. What’s to discuss?

[quote=caroljm36]Yeah but the libs are always raising the spectre of Abortion Bombers, like it happens all the time, and I was rather proud of the fact that this sort of protest had tapered off. Of course the Atlanta thing was a long time ago too.
[/quote]

Yeah and they always bring up the Crusades too. Lame excuses IMO.

I really don’t think any mainstream ProLife groups advocate ANY violence. Our respect life group simply prays a rosary in front of some of the clincs. If a rosary scares someone…

Lisa N

Catholic morality teaches us that doing a wrong to stop an even greater wrong is…well…wrong.

Abortion is a grave sin. Killing to stop abortion is also a grave sin.

[quote=Lurch104]Catholic morality teaches us that doing a wrong to stop an even greater wrong is…well…wrong.

Abortion is a grave sin. Killing to stop abortion is also a grave sin.
[/quote]

That’s it in a nutshell. No one who is serious about life would consider bombing an abortion clinic or shooting an abortionist. To kill someone to promote the cause of life is an oxymoron.

He has not hurt our cause unless we let him (and more particularly the media). Those that stand for life are as right as they ever have been and always will be. I will not allow some lost soul to affect my steadfast committment to move this culture as we have no other choice. The fact of the matter is that the culture of death symbolized mostly by legal baby killing creates an enviroment that will always produce Rudolphs. He is a creation of the pro-death movement.

no discussion? lessee, is he a member of SSPX, a liturgical dancer or a cardinal under age 80? then we won’t discuss him. History is full of people who used ideology as an excuse to perpetrate atrocities, he is no different.

Rudolph = Whacko

[quote=Lisa N]Yeah and they always bring up the Crusades too. Lame excuses IMO.

I really don’t think any mainstream ProLife groups advocate ANY violence. Our respect life group simply prays a rosary in front of some of the clincs. If a rosary scares someone…

Lisa N
[/quote]

Iv’e got $5 that says it makes Satan pee his panties.

My concern is that we have a guy who cut a deal to avoid the death penalty, and now he is laughing in the face of the government (which I can live with) and the victims and the victims’ survivors.

That really troubles me.

I am against the death penalty, but in my younger, more vociferous days, I suggested that anyone who showed such a lack of contrition needed to be executed.

I’m not at that point with Rudolph. . . yet. But I got pretty close the other day. . . :mad:

You have to wonder if the guy was bothered about the murder of the babies or wanting to get “famous” in put in the news:mad: He is from the death culture and it sickens me he is touted pro-life:banghead: There is an abortion thread I debate on sometimes(not very often due to the hate).They have people go in there and"joke" about what you can do with a dead baby:mad: There is no conscience,that is what Rudolph seems to have.

[quote=demolitionman65]My concern is that we have a guy who cut a deal to avoid the death penalty, and now he is laughing in the face of the government (which I can live with) and the victims and the victims’ survivors.

That really troubles me.

I am against the death penalty, but in my younger, more vociferous days, I suggested that anyone who showed such a lack of contrition needed to be executed.

I’m not at that point with Rudolph. . . yet. But I got pretty close the other day. . . :mad:
[/quote]

What can you really do with a person like that?

[quote=Trelow]What can you really do with a person like that?
[/quote]

I’m almost 100% against the death penalty, but I do think that punishments need to be more severe in this country.

Plaster the walls of his prison cell with pictures of the faces of all his victims.

Might give him something to think about during the next several years.

Let’s put the abortionists in jail, too. Or are state politicians too afraid of the Federal Government to put an end to the massacre of unborn children?

I’ve read Eric Rudolph’s autobiography and a good majority of his musings online. He was baptised Catholic so for his soul’s sake, I hope some priest in Colorado is able to take him the Blessed Sacrament and hear his confession.

And while I don’t condone what he did, he is no idiot. Very well spoken and educated especially in circles of history, politics and philosophy. Living only 2.5 hours from where he was captured, Murphy, NC, I made a trip over there one day and went behind the grocery store and saw the dumpster where he was caught and got a chill up my back. Murphy is not that big of a town so it amazes me how he was able to keep out of sight.

I defend his pro-life stance, just not his methods. May the LORD bless him, keep him and have mercy on his soul.

I don’t think that he can be compared to John Brown. John Brown tried to liberate the slaves directly. Eric Rudolph tried to create unnecessary terror in the name of defending life. Eric Rudolph’s methods actually go against life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.