No dispensation for this Friday (St. Joseph) is needed

That the general law of abstinence from meat on Fridays (c. 1251) does not bind on “solemnities” (like the Solemnity of St. Joseph, per c. 1246.1 and the Gen. Norms for the Lit. Year and Calendar) is so obvious that few commentaries bother to say “If the Solemnity of St. Joseph falls on a Friday, even in Lent, one need not abstain from meat.” Nevertheless, the exemption from abstinence on solemnities is patent, and one need not bother pastors or bishops for a dispensation before enjoying a pepperoni pizza this Friday. Nuf said.

From the blog of Canon LawyerEdward N. Peters, JD, JCD

Bottom line: enjoy your steak tonight!!

(BTW, the canon says: Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays,* unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday**. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday*.)

Thank you for posting this, along with pertinent citations. I thought I heard our pastor say something about this last Sunday, but I wasn’t sure. Happy Feast of St. Joseph.

In Jesus Master through Mary Queen of Apostles and St. Paul,
Marlicia
with God all things are possible

It’s a great day to be a “Joe”. :slight_smile:

Nope. Not gonna. Still abstaining. Won’t hurt me a bit, and I almost always do on regular Fridays anyway.

Though Fadda Wade did suggest moving to next week one of your [private] Lenten penances, which I intend to do this Monday.

In honor of the Universal Patrol of the Whole Church . . .

I will be eating a slab of red meat, cooked rare on this glorious solemnity.

I’m not sure if this is on purpose, but it seems that the food typically made for a St. Joseph’s Table does not contain meat.

Does anyone know if that was in keeping with Lenten abstaining from meat, or just a coincidence of the largely-fish diet of Sicilians?

Holy St. Joseph, protector of the Church, pray for us!

It probably has more to do with the fact that they’re surrounded by water. :wink:

Drat. I forgot about this. Oh, well, I’ve lost six pounds so far this Lent; probably a good idea to just keep going.

(Being a Catholic is *so *complicated!)

It’s my understanding that under the old code of canon law that solemnities did *not *excuse the Faithful from abstaining from meat during Lenten Fridays… just at other times of the year. At least that’s what it says in Edward Peter’s blog. So St. Joseph’s Day would not have been a day one could eat meat on a Friday. It’s not clear from the blog whether or not one could eat meat if a solemnity fell on another day of the week.

But the fish diet of Sicilians no doubt played a big role.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.