No Diversity in Islam

This thread was closed on the philosophy forum, so I’ll try here.

In a recent article in Crisis magazine William Kilpatrick argues that there is no diversity in Islam, that the shades of Islam we see in various countries are mere accomodations to the dominant culture, that the real Islam is the Wahabism of Saudi Arabia, with that of Isis being an extreme, fanatic form of Wahabism.

One has to wonder about the motivation that makes people want to be Muslim?

And if you want to know what Europe, including Italy will look like in 50 years or less, just look at Saudi Arabia. Won’t that be fun?

I would say the Catholic Church and all of Christianity better wake up.

Of course there is the great question of how China and India will react to this phenomenon in the future. Because it is not a settled queston that Islam will rule the world, but given the abortion/contraceptive mind set of the West it would appear to be inevitable. And why should God intervene to save a people that has utterly turned their backs on him, turning gross sin into virtues?

crisismagazine.com/2014/m…lams-diversity

Pax
Linus2nd

thanks for the link to the article. CAF is obviously being attacked with spam from some Islam group. Shame on them.

I don’t know why the West thinks it can abandon the almighty and live off of hedonism. As much as I would hate to see an Islamic ruled future in the West, some religion is going to grow when people realise that they can’t find fulfillment outside of God, and by the looks of it it’s the Muslim faith :sad_yes:

A fair chunk of the grace vouchsafed to humanity through Muhammad’s appearance and Word has been lost and seen decline due to man-made inclinations and interpretations.

What Muhammad’s Revelation achieved for those parts of the world it touched during its first century was remarkable, inter-racial marriages, worshiping the one God and submitting ourselves to His Will, amongst many others including the advancement of the sciences.

These things are attractive for the modern thinker, and like Christianity in the past, people who are investigating the Muslim Faith see that it is the sinful individual causing the harm, not the teachings, which are being interpreted incorrectly by some today…

**I actually think that as far as organized religions go, there is a lot of beauty in Islam. I’ve known so many Muslims (men and women) from all over the world who are incredible, kind, fascinating people. Islamic theology is deep and logical (much like Catholicism).

Just as reading different theories and ideas about Christianity won’t give you even a glimmer of what it really means to be a Christian (and what many forms of Christianity there are), simply reading about Islam will never give you a clear picture of what it is on a personal, daily level.

Travel, read, and talk to people who have lived it. And when you have the chance to hear someone’s story, be sure to truly listen, even if what they say doesn’t fit your narrative. Listen to the loving Muslim family man, and the young woman who escaped an abusive arranged marriage, and the Imam who devotes his life to the poor, and the woman who had her children stolen from her, you get the idea.

And the notion that the “Christian world” is so much more advanced than the “Muslim world” is just silly. For centuries the middle east was thriving (and leading the way in math, science, and culture) while Europe was chaos. And as quickly as the world changes these days, who knows what the future holds for any region?

This is not to say that there aren’t terrible Islamic groups, people, and governments. There certainly are. And there are a number of complex reasons for why these problems plague Islam at a higher rate than Christianity. Some of these reasons are theological, others are socio and geo-political. The topic can (and has) filled a library’s worth of books.

But let’s be careful with the brush strokes, demonization, and idea that Muslims are “others”.

Beautiful :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

Is there another link for the article? The one in the OP doesn’t appear to work anymore.

I like your sentiments. God bless you. :slight_smile:

MJ

Try this:

crisismagazine.com/2014/myth-islams-diversity

Linus2nd

I just tried it and it works for now.

New link to the O.P. crisismagazine.com/2014/myth-islams-diversity

Linus2nd

Well God has a history of saving sinful, ungrateful, unfaithful people. Read the O.T. We should be happy He does. We should, however Wake up as you put it!

I love the O.T., fascinating. I’m reading Ezechiel now.

Linus2nd

Thank you for this.

:thumbsup:

I suggest you read the following link.

I also suggest you read Islam and Dhimmitude: Where Civilizations Collide. by Bat Ye’or, The Dhimmi: Jews and Christians under Islam by Bay Ye’or, The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude by Bat Ye’or, and From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters.

Linus2nd

I also suggest you read Islam and Dhimmitude: Where Civilizations Collide. by Bat Ye’or, The Dhimmi: Jews and Christians under Islam by Bay Ye’or, The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude by Bat Ye’or, and From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters.

You do realize that atheism is not an option under Sharia law?

Linus2nd

Linus2nd

I also suggest you read Islam and Dhimmitude: Where Civilizations Collide. by Bat Ye’or, The Dhimmi: Jews and Christians under Islam by Bay Ye’or,The Decline of Eastern Christianity Under Islam: From Jihad to Dhimmitude by Bat Ye’or, and From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters.

Linus2nd

Linus2nd

Linus2nd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.