No forgiveness?

Are there any sins that can not be forgiven in Confession?

[SIGN]Any sin can be forgiven [/SIGN]

–as long as the sinner repents.

If the penitant is sincere in confessing and about repenting then no there are no sins which cannot be forgiven at Confession.

Don’t forget the unforgivable sin:

[quote=Matt 12: 21-32]31 Therefore I say to you: Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but the blasphemy of the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.
[/quote]

THE SACRAMENT OF HEALING

From the
Catechism of the Catholic Church

usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt2.htm#ii

This is understood to be the sin of unrepentance - of rebellion against God. The unwillingness to seek forgiveness for the rest of one’s life. BUT, like the others have already said, there’s ALWAYS forgiveness available for those who repent.

Sins committed in the confessional, on that occasion.

Priests are also banned from giving absolution for certain sins in which they may have participated, nad they have to get permission from the bishop before absolving for a few very serious reserved sins.

Yeah, so if I blaspheme against the Holy Ghost I cannot be forgiven?

Absolutely not. Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross was for the forgiveness of all sins, for all people, for all time.

I quote elvisman:
This is understood to be the sin of unrepentance - of rebellion against God. The unwillingness to seek forgiveness for the rest of one’s life. BUT, like the others have already said, there’s ALWAYS forgiveness available for those who repent.**

It was an opportunity for the OP to look into the issue, and find the answer for himself.

Are there any sins you think can not be absolved in confession?

My NAB explains that blasphemy against the Spirit is the sin of attributing to Satan what is the work of the Spirit of God.

Also, another thing to understand is that believing that the sin you have committed is so horrible that even God cannot forgive it – well, what does that do? It keeps you away from Confession. And if you do not Confess, then you cannot receive Absolution. Right?

If someone knows God and deliberately sins there is no forgiveness. Scripture tells us that Christians who know God are dead to sin.

(1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people? “

Notice Paul was talking to Christians, but said they were still unspiritual. That, he said, was because of their sinning. So obviously they were not mature Christians.

(1 John 1:8-10) “If we say we have no sin in us, we are deceiving ourselves and refusing to admit the truth; but if we acknowledge our sins, then God who is faithful and just will forgive our sins and purify us from everything that is wrong. To say that we have never sinned is to call God a liar and to show that his word is not in us.”

What John said is we all have sinned. He tells us that not all sin leads to death. After he explains all that once he didn’t have to keep on explaining. So when he says: (1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There will be left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the raging fire that is to burn rebels. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will repay. And again: The Lord will judge his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

(1 John 3: 3 - 9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray; to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy; to lead a sinful life is to belong to the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 5: 16) “If anybody sees his brother commit a sin that is not a deadly sin, he has only to pray, and God will give life to the sinner - not those who commit a deadly sin; for there is a sin that is death, and I will not say that you must pray about that. Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly.

We know that anyone who has been begotten by God does not sin, because the begotten Son of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.” So then, brothers, there is no necessity for us to obey our unspiritual selves or to live unspiritual lives. If you do live in that way, you are doomed to die; but if by the Spirit you put an end to the misdeeds of the body you will live.”

(1 John 5: 16) “If anybody sees his brother commit a sin that is not a deadly sin, he has only to pray, and God will give life to the simmer - not those who commit a deadly sin; for there is a sin that is death, and I will not say that you must pray about that. Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly.

We know that anyone who has been begotten by God does not sin, because the begotten Son of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.” So then, brothers, there is no necessity for us to obey our unspiritual selves or to live unspiritual lives. If you do live in that way, you are doomed to die; but if by the Spirit you put an end to the misdeeds of the body you will live.”

(Acts 5:1-11) The Fraud of Ananias and Sapphira: Peter said they were lying to the Holy Spirit so I would say they were filled with the Holy Spirit, and knew God. This Scripture illustrates what happens when a person who knows God willfully and deliberately commit a sin. Of course it isn’t always a physical death, but it is death. God showed us way back I (Exodus 32:28)”The sons of Levi carried out the command of Moses, and of the people about three thousand men perished that day.”

closed #15

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.