No Gloria and General Confession at Sunday Mass?

I have just come back from Mass at the parish I will be received into coming Saturday, and I was a bit confused by the order of Mass. I tried to follow along in the book (though, coming from an Anglican background, I still need to get used to it) and was expecting the Gloria to be sung (or at least said), but it wasn’t in the Mass at all. Same for the General Confession at the beginning.

It does say “On Sundays outside Advent and Lent and Holy Days of Obligation” as a note for the Gloria, but I don’t think this Sunday qualified as either of these. It was the main Mass at the parish.

Does anyone know if there is a licit reason to omit the two parts on this very Sunday? I find it rather hard to believe. Since CofE services were done after a book, and the order of service was quite similar, though not entirely identical, to the Mass I expected the Gloria to be there. It would have been in my old Anglican church.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Was there anything else out of the ordinary at this Mass? A Baptism, perhaps?

No. The only thing “out of the ordinary” would have been children singing to a guitar, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

Sadly, that’s very much ‘ordinary’. :rolleyes:

I asked because in some cases the Introductory Rites are omitted when there are things like weddings, funerals, baptisms, etc. The Sprinkling Rite can be substituted for the Penitential Rite. Of course the Penitential Rite has 3 forms and if you were expecting the Confiteor - “I confess to Almighty God…” - and they used form 2 or 3 that may have confused you. I can’t remember if there are 3 forms in the Anglican Rite, it’s been a few years since I attended an Anglican Mass.

The Confiteor, that’s it! I knew there was a word, but I couldn’t remember it. :smiley:

If it was in another form it must have been totally different and obscure. I don’t even think there were multiple forms in the German, but even if so, there was nothing confessional about the words that were said at the time. :shrug:

Our priest has removed the Confiteor from the Mass. Since he was assigned to our parish a year ago the Mass has become much shorter.

The Confietieor isn’t required. There are two legitimate alternatives: Form B (“Have Mercy on us, O Lord”) and Form C (the troped Kyrie). Also, the priest may chose to do the Rite of Sprinkling.

Form 2: (I’ve never heard this one used.)
Have mercy on us, O Lord.
**For we have sinned against you.
Show us, O Lord, your mercy.
**And grant us your salvation.
May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life. **Amen
Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy
or Kyrie, eleison. Kyrie, eleison.

Christ have mercy. Christ, have mercy.
or Christe, eleison. Christe, eleison.

Form 3: (This is the one used in my parish 99.9% of the time.)
You were sent to heal the contrite of heart:

You came to call sinners:
Christ have mercy. Christ, have mercy.
or Christe, eleison. Christe, eleison.

You are seated at the right hand of the Father to intercede for us:
or Kyrie, eleison. **Kyrie, eleison.
May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life. **Amen

None of those was used. The thing that comes nearest is the sentence before the Kyrie in Form 2. But we definitely didn’t say the things before that.

You will probably find yourself happier in the long run if you assume the priest knows what he’s doing and is following an approved option. It isn’t God who leads you to question your priest or disturbs your peace and prayer at Mass.

I’m not questioning the priest. I was simply asking for possible explanations for this, and was not saying “The priest has no idea what he’s doing”.

I would ask the priest about it. Its a good way to get to know the priest better and to learn more about the Mass. I’m not at all familiar with possible options in Germany, but it may have been one of those or perhaps a slip-up between the priest and the cantor.:shrug:

I’ll see what I can do. :slight_smile: I know we are getting a new prayer book (Gotteslob) here in Germany on the First Sunday of Advent, maybe that can help. :slight_smile:

Any one of the approved forms of the penitential rite is acceptable. (BTW, the term general confession has a completely different meaning in the Catholic Church. It is not used for the penitential rite at Mass, where we acknowledge our sins together. It is used for a private confession to a priest, where one recalls all of the sins of one’s life (or of a substantial part of one’s life away from the church). In other words, the first confession to a Catholic priest that you make before being confirmed in the Catholic Church–that will be a general confession.

Thanks, I meant the Confiteor. I just couldn’t think of the term… :slight_smile: Anyway, I’ll be making my General Confession soon. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.