No Greater Love

Has anyone watched this DVD? I just got it from my church library. It is about Carmelite nuns in London. I especially liked the "extras" at the end, 2 great and long interviews with two nuns and some funny scenes.
It's been out for a while but I'm glad I got to see it.
youtube.com/watch?v=vzIgwYOHz3M

I enjoyed it. I still have as yet to make it through the extras.

God bless.

I watched "Into the Silence" tired and in bed, so I didn't make it through, but this DVD had a little more talking and the honesty of the women was refreshing about their feelings and life behind the walls.

I remember Mother Angelica also commenting on the same issues and the "noise" you hear everywhere outside..they both commented on that even at the dentist or doctor, you can't have quiet. We do live in a noisy world.

I really liked what that elderly nun had to say about 'the other side' and 'the void'. I have said to athiests "Well, I guess if I am wrong I am not going to know about it. But if you are wrong, then oh boy, are you in for a shock and a joyful welcome".

Interesting short of the DVD. The contrast with the nuns in choir and processing to choir contrasted with the sound of electric hedgcutters and whippersnippers was an assault and shock on the eardrums and that's the way it can be with monastic life where the silence and quiet is an all enfolding consistent Presence. Should be a very interesting DVD.

Yes, I was jolted when they showed recreation, all the chatter and noise compared to the quiet in a lot of the DVD. One funny scene is the cutting of the branches, they do a lot of work, cooking, sewing, gardening, making hosts for communion, cleaning.

There was an elderly nun they took care of that was sweet and the doubts and sacrifice of the nuns was inspiring.
official site:
nogreaterlove.co.uk/frames.html

Of Gods and Men coming today from Netflix...

[quote="debraran, post:5, topic:252191"]
Yes, I was jolted when they showed recreation, all the chatter and noise compared to the quiet in a lot of the DVD. One funny scene is the cutting of the branches, they do a lot of work, cooking, sewing, gardening, making hosts for communion, cleaning.

There was an elderly nun they took care of that was sweet and the doubts and sacrifice of the nuns was inspiring.
official site:
nogreaterlove.co.uk/frames.html

Of Gods and Men coming today from Netflix...

[/quote]

[quote="TiggerS, post:4, topic:252191"]
I really liked what that elderly nun had to say about 'the other side' and 'the void'. I have said to athiests "Well, I guess if I am wrong I am not going to know about it. But if you are wrong, then oh boy, are you in for a shock and a joyful welcome".

Interesting short of the DVD. The contrast with the nuns in choir and processing to choir contrasted with the sound of electric hedgcutters and whippersnippers was an assault and shock on the eardrums and that's the way it can be with monastic life where the silence and quiet is an all enfolding consistent Presence. Should be a very interesting DVD.

[/quote]

What did you guys think of the scene where it showed that helicopter? That was jolting to me, I had to mute it at that point.

God bless.

The hedgecutter and whippersnipper were enough for me to want to hit the mute key - except my senses were so suddenly shocked, I could not figure out what to do, my mind in a fuddle of shock!!!:smiley:

As hard as it might be at first to be cloistered, I remember a nun saying on EWTN, they had more externs come in then cloistered ask to be externs. In their order, you had to do 1 year inside before being an extern to know the life better. It must seem so noisy and overwhelming when you have to go somewhere., the traffic, horns, yelling.
I know I wouldn't be cut out for it, the headaches and trials one nun spoke about, would have been magnified with myself, I get claustophobic indoors too much and like socializing, but the peace and routine is nice short-term for retreats, etc. I admire the sacrifice and dedicaton to prayer these women have, they are correct, it isn't easy, and if you think it is, you soon find out otherwise.

Received "Of Gods and Men" yesterday, hope to watch it tonight..has anyone seen it?

I have seen both movies, No Greater Love *and *Of Gods and Men.

Both movies are very well done, but different.

*No Greater Love *focused on the lives of the nuns within the cloister. I loved the way we were able to hear how the nuns felt about their lives and their basic feelings.

*Of Gods and Men *focused on the lives of the monks within the cloister and how the actions of others outside of the monastery affected the decisions the monks made. Their faith and obedience were tested among other things.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed both films, I preferred Of God's and Men.

God bless,
~Rae

I just watched Of Gods and Men last night, very good and sad. The performances were wonderful, you felt you knew them and their conflicting feelings.

The ending said "mysterious" death but I thought they said they were be-headed although bodies weren't found. I don't think a botched rescue attempt would coinside with the be-heading. I prayed for them, after the fact, it just kept staying with me later.

"In 1996, seven French Trappists who inhabited the monastery of Tibhirine in Algeria were kidnapped, held for two months and beheaded when the Algerian civil war was going on. The circumstances of their death were not clear: while the Armed Islamic Group claimed to be responsible, the French General Francois Buchwalter reported that they were accidentally killed by the Algerian Army during an botched rescue attempt."

guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/19/tibhirine-monks-france-murder

I saw *No Greater Love *at a film festival 2 years ago. The director was there, and the audience could ask questions afterwards. I asked him if he was surprised by what he encountered, given the prejudice against the religious in the UK (and prejudice against Catholics generally). The director - who is not catholic- replied he was very surprised because the nuns were just like normal women. And he liked them a lot, especially because they were so devoted to God and deeply spiritual, but also on average had a great sense of humor and lots of joy.
He was also asked if the experience helped him grow spiritually and his reply was very dissappointing. Basically, he started explaining how people find meaning in different things - it can be God, money, family, sex, whatever - and that it is all ok and good.
So I guess he didn't really learn much :( I can't understand how someone could not be affected by such life and such obvious love for God and faith. I suspect that the nuns pray for him.

It's not that surprising that nuns didn't effect him that way, believing in God or a religion is with grace and sometimes takes a winding path.

I see devout members of communites in my area and it moves me, but I respect it, don't want to be a central part of it.

If he visited different convents, active and contemplative, did a series, he might get an even better perspective, but just seeing devoutness, doesn't always make it "click", it's grace and an openess to it. He might see that life as commendable but also lacking in some areas.

Hopefully he will find meaning outside of money and sex anyway!

Where can I watch this full?

It is available on Amazon

amazon.com/No-Greater-Love-Portrait-Carmelite/dp/B004MB5MH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313863060&sr=8-2

I am looking for the text used by these nuns when they prayed the stations of the cross. Does anyone happen to know of where I may be able to get it from?

Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.