No Mass for me this week! :(

Sometime-when your priest isn’t stressed-you may gently ask if it would be possible to establish a ‘communion service’ presided over by a Decon or a member of the Church of good caliber or standing. Also, there may be Eucharistic Ministers that go to the homes to bring communion to the sick, the disabled or homebound. If you should ask your priest I would do so in a gentle, diplomatic way.

1 Like

This is certainly a time to investigate ways to be living a ministry life.
Like becoming a Marian cathisits. A religious method developed by fr. John harden.
It is probably time to mature to a more advanced understanding .

1 Like

While what you speak of is certainly good, I don’t believe it would resolve the current problem of which the OP speaks

My own church has been without our priest for several months now, because of illness. We’ve had other priests from our town and ones from the wider Archdiocese covering Saturday Vigil and our two Sunday Masses, but it’s become so hard to find someone that we’re now having a Eucharistic Service in place of the Saturday Vigil.

Our local priests each cover two parishes in our town - there’s only so much they can do, with hospital duties, school duties and all the other many responsibilities they hold. They all look tired out and they need our support, thanks and prayers.

You can watch the Mass on EWTN, or listen to it on EWTN radio. While that doesn’t provide communion to you, it might help.

2 Likes

For those of us without access to EWTN, or for whom the EWTN mass times aren’t convenient, local Cable access stations broadcast masses in many market. Radio stations have broadcast the Mass since the advent of commercial radio in the 1920’s on a local basis.

1 Like

Locally and in the area, there are priests workin’ in their 70’, 80,’ and even one in his 90’s. That is how much the shortage is affecting the priesthood. Rather than fuss ask if there is any way to lighten the load for the parish priest. Think of errands, taking messages, checking reg. mail; whatever little thing you can think of that can be done at home or without the means of transportation. I am sure Father can think of something that would help him out. At the very least he will appreciate a sincere offer.

1 Like

Consider moving to a place where Mass is frequent. I am in an urban area where I can go to daily Mass at 8 different Catholic Churches within 10 miles of my home. There are Masses, depending on the church, at 7, 7:30, 8:00, 8:15, 12:00, 5:00. Everyday. More on Sunday.
And I am serious about considering moving. Frankly, it is that important to me and likely to others as well. It is priority #1 in my life.

1 Like

There is always a spiritual communion available.

Living in densely populated cities has its negative points as well.

i lnow its awful
catholic radio has mass

I wonder if there are webcasts as well. Just a thought.

You are only required to hear Mass on a Sunday. If you can’t get to a daily Mass here are three suggestions 1) Offer it up for those who struggle to even have a celebration of Mass on a Sunday due to persecution. 2) Pray for vocations and your parish priest. 3) Pray the rosary; an Irish Dominican has said that in his Irish family it was affectionately called the ‘Evening “Mass”’ (probably as a throwback to when the Mass was against the law in Ireland).

I’ve found that there are some days I simply can’t attend daily Mass as there is no evening Mass offered in my area on a certain day but through praying the LOTH I am still united to the whole church at prayer so that may be another option.

1 Like

Is there not another Church near you?

Ah, you beat me to it.

To the OP: saying the Rosary is a wonderful private devotion.

Attending Mass is participating in one of the two Liturgies of the Church; the other is the Liturgy of the Hours.

One does not need to dive whole hog headfirst into it; even saying on of the Hours is participation. It is available on the internet if you do not have one of the books with which to say it.

I would strongly encourage your participation in some manner with this other and often overlooked liturgy…

And my (sainted) grandmother wouldn’t exactly say “suck it buttercup”, but her comment was direct and to the point: “offer it up” (for the poor souls in purgatory). Having heard her say that a multitude of times, I sort of like your phrase better, and there can be merit in your loss.

1 Like

This shouldn’t be done on weekdays. If the priest isn’t available for a Sunday then yes such a communion service would be an option.

It can be done for “grave reasons”, but it is discouraged. It would be far better to have the communal celebration of Lauds instead, or whatever office is appropriate to the time of day that it is held; if Mass was typically said at say 11 am to 1 pm, mid-day prayer would be more appropriate than Lauds, or in the late afternoon or early evening, Vespers.

It would be a great way to introduce parishioners to other part of the liturgy of the Church.

1 Like

I could see on First Friday’s too.

I would not ask the priest to make a Communion Call when you’re not sick. You might suggest he appoint someone to offer a Communion Service at church in his absence if allowed by his bishop.

2 Likes

If you don’t drive living rurally is very isolating.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.