No money, no heat, no help

msnbc.com/all/no-money-no-heat-no-help

This is heartbreaking. :mad:

Yes, it is really too bad.

The qualifications for energy assistance have been tightened up, so people who used to qualify no longer do, and there is also less money to go around when people do qualify, as well. :frowning:

Horrible.

I was thinking of the homeless down south with this cold snap. In Boston on days like today the shelters are beyond capacity (they’ll have people sleep in the hallways if they have to) and we expect cold days and nights. I can’t imagine what the situation is like for places that normally don’t experience extreme cold.

ETA: I’m shocked that Washington DC isn’t able to shelter everyone and has to put them in hotels. It’s not exactly tropical down there. The money they are spending on hotels could streach much further if anybody in charge actually took a moment to think of those in need before an emergency situation.

Most if not all northern states have laws that prevent heat & electric being shut off during the winter for nonpayment. At least people with places to stay are protected until March.

For the homeless though, this cold has got to be horrible. :frowning:

Not in our state. They can, and they will, shut you off for nonpayment.

I think it should be a law across the USA that no one can have their heat shut off for non-payment during the months of October through March.

Vive le capitalisme slow, sarcastic clapping :clapping:

Yes, Thank God my state has a law preventing heat & electric shut off during the winter for nonpayment. Please pray for these families. God help them. No one deserves this.

I think there are a few states that should be exceptions in that, like Hawaii, but I agree that heat shouldn’t be able to be turned off during the cold months.

In my state, Catholic Charities helps families with heating costs in the winter. I bet that there are other charities out there that do the same.

Ultimately federal assistance programs don’t work and waste money. Far better for charity to come from the private sector where you and I give to charities to help the local poor. Maybe an upside to the federal cuts is a resurgence of private charities. In the meantime it would be good for the media to publicize those private sources rather than just focus on federal cuts.

I’m not sure how standard that is across the North, I’ve never actually seen a public service commission prohibit disconnects.

does anyone know how catholic charities is or can help in situations like this ?

While I disagree in principle with your assertion that government should not provide this type of assistance since I believe that the way a society treats it’s weakest members is an indication of how it values all it’s members, I also question your basic premise.

Can you cite sources that support your premise of an resurgence in charitable giving? Most sources I’ve seen give the increase as being less than 2%, while cuts to programs like these have been 33% or more.

Also, charitable organizations have high fund-raising costs. One study showed that only 56% of the funds raised by charities went to the organization’s purpose; for some organizations, it was only 2%! It seems to me that it would be highly inefficient to have dozens, if not hundreds of organizations soliciting funds, all with different approaches, guidelines, resources to ascertain the validity of the need of each potential recipient and differing degrees of honesty in administration.

if what you are saying is true, then it shows that we as Catholics / Christians are not doing enough to help our brothers and sisters in Christ. It is not up to the government to provide for us, it is up to Catholics to start living the Gospel, and to start helping those in need. The governments responsibility is to support our efforts not provide and live our lives and do our duties as Christians.

While we Catholics could and should do better, the governments by helping the homeless, the poor, are not using their money, but our money. So if we wanted that our money should be used to help those who need instead of the government luxuries, they should do so.

Companies are barred by state law from disconnecting heat or electricity here.

Here is a website that gives a run down of laws in each of the states.

I live in the DC area and picked up a homeless stranger yesterday and gave him a warm place to stay. I couldn’t find any today. They seem to have found places to go.

Homelessness is a very difficult problem. A lot of homeless are mentally ill. When deinstitutionalization came in, these kinds of people, ended up on the streets instead of in an institution. There were movies that portrayed mental health facilities in a very negative light, and that’s why certain policy came into effect.

Some use drugs and are addicts or have other problems.

It’s complicated.

Some “charities” are mere fronts for those in charge to make money. This is why it is important to check out a charity before giving to it.

Naturally if you include the false charities in with good charities, they will reduce the average. If there are the same number of charities giving only 2% to the advertised end as there are of charities who give 98%, then the average will be 49%. So the average is meaningless, right?

********* is said to report well on these things.

Thank you for that link, it was quite an interesting comparison summary! :thumbsup:

Obama, of course, has promised to make utility bills “skyrocket” in the name of preventing global warming. I expect he’ll make good on it, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.