No more decent television!

I am upset with the networks! First they remove Joan of Arccadia, now they are ending Seventh Heaven too. Sorry I just had to get this out! I guess I have more time for reading now!

I’m so sorry your favorite shows are being cancelled. I joined Netflix and now have much more control over what we watch. Hundreds of classic films are available, plus older television series can be viewed as we have time to do so. We don’t have cable, so this is our entertainment budget. It has worked out very well for us.

[quote=Cupofkindness]I’m so sorry your favorite shows are being cancelled. I joined Netflix and now have much more control over what we watch. Hundreds of classic films are available, plus older television series can be viewed as we have time to do so. We don’t have cable, so this is our entertainment budget. It has worked out very well for us.
[/quote]

We did the same thing! I highly reccomend Netflicks or Blockbuster (through the mail). Our family has watched the entire Little House on the Prarie… one episode at a time. We receive a DVD in the mail with 4 episodes on it and we can watch when OUR schedule allows. When we are finished with the disc (no time limits) we just pop it back in their prepaid envelope & mail it back. They send us our next selection from our list that we maintain via their website. It has been awesome… with Little House, It took almost 2 years to get through all 7 seasons. The kids have loved it !! Now we’re watching the Waltons.

We just gave up on family viewing during Prime Time. If the shows weren’t too trashy (like 7th Heaven) … the commercials & advertising for OTHER shows were.

[quote=kp1]I am upset with the networks! First they remove Joan of Arccadia, now they are ending Seventh Heaven too. Sorry I just had to get this out! I guess I have more time for reading now!
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with you. Television is simply dismal these days. I don’t know how old you are but back in “my” day we cut our TV teeth on Jack Benny, I Love Lucy, I Married Joan, Father Knows Best and we had NO idea that we were being treated to the finest writing and talent available, so what followed was a real disappointment.

I Love Lucy was my favorite, my cousin and I would have to have our baths and get into our jammies and my Godmother would give us a dish of ice cream while we watched. To this day she can make me laugh out loud.

I agree with the poster who suggested Netflix to you, please start with Lucy, if you can’t afford this service email me and I’ll loan you my DVD of Lucy.

[quote=carol marie]We did the same thing! I highly reccomend Netflicks or Blockbuster (through the mail). Our family has watched the entire Little House on the Prarie… one episode at a time. We receive a DVD in the mail with 4 episodes on it and we can watch when OUR schedule allows. When we are finished with the disc (no time limits) we just pop it back in their prepaid envelope & mail it back. They send us our next selection from our list that we maintain via their website. It has been awesome… with Little House, It took almost 2 years to get through all 7 seasons. The kids have loved it !! Now we’re watching the Waltons.

We just gave up on family viewing during Prime Time. If the shows weren’t too trashy (like 7th Heaven) … the commercials & advertising for OTHER shows were.
[/quote]

It’s too bad that this happened because it’s nice for a family to sit and watch a television show together.
Kudos to you for figuring out a creative alternative without sacrificing your values.

I have found that you can watch EWTN on the computer! I am able to watch when I go over to my Dad’s house. I have found that it works better if you have a higher speed connection. They have a schedule on the EWTN website of when the shows are. It’s funny, sometimes I tune in exactly when a show that has relevance to me is on. I hope maybe this will help.

Thanks For The Netflix Link.

This Looks Awesome! I Signed Us Up Today.

Pansy

For those of you who subscribe to or are considering Netflix, please check one thing.

We belonged to NF for a couple of years before subscribing to Dish Network. The c**p is still there on Dish, but we can choose not only NOT to pay for it, we can block much of it - even the viewing of objectionable titles - from our children. We do get EWTN, thank goodness! If it were up to me, there would be NO TV in our home, but it was a compromise with my husband …(sigh) … I agree with the title of the thread.

But back to the point I intended to make - Netflix carries a category of gay/lesbian films, and I never did like that. I emailed them my objections once and never heard back from them. To me, this constituted pandering to the homosexual population and was not exactly family-friendly. It wouldn’t hurt to let them know of your objections.

I stopped watching TV a couple of years ago and spend my evenings reading. We hire movies to watch as a family and I have bought a lot of old ex-rental movies that were made before it became compulsory to include crude language and sex scenes in movies.

It did become compulsory, didn’t it?

[quote=m33z3r]For those of you who subscribe to or are considering Netflix, please check one thing.

We belonged to NF for a couple of years before subscribing to Dish Network. The c**p is still there on Dish, but we can choose not only NOT to pay for it, we can block much of it - even the viewing of objectionable titles - from our children. We do get EWTN, thank goodness! If it were up to me, there would be NO TV in our home, but it was a compromise with my husband …(sigh) … I agree with the title of the thread.

But back to the point I intended to make - Netflix carries a category of gay/lesbian films, and I never did like that. I emailed them my objections once and never heard back from them. To me, this constituted pandering to the homosexual population and was not exactly family-friendly. It wouldn’t hurt to let them know of your objections.
[/quote]

I know that they have some gay friendly movies but that doesn’t scare me and I certainly will NOT waste my time writing hate letters about the Gay community.
You shouldn’t either, in my opinion, however, if you do, let me know and I’ll write a letter to support the Gay community to offset yours.

[quote=Wondering Waif]You shouldn’t either, in my opinion, however, if you do, let me know and I’ll write a letter to support the Gay community to offset yours.
[/quote]

Why would you write a letter supporting the “Gay Community”?
I believe that we love the sinner and hate the sin. To support the “Gay Community” is supporting the exploitation of the sexuality of individuals. To support and love someone in a Chistian way who has chosen the homosexual livestyle is Christian, to support that lifestyle or encourage it is not.

If one is willing to support a sexual deviation, would you be so inclined to support the “Multiple Partner Relationship” lifestyle? Or any other deviation from the norm?

That is not the way Christ was. He said, Go forth and sin no more." Not “Go forth with no intention of sinning no more and I will forgive you.”

[quote=netmilsmom]Why would you write a letter supporting the “Gay Community”?
I believe that we love the sinner and hate the sin. To support the “Gay Community” is supporting the exploitation of the sexuality of individuals. To support and love someone in a Chistian way who has chosen the homosexual livestyle is Christian, to support that lifestyle or encourage it is not.

If one is willing to support a sexual deviation, would you be so inclined to support the “Multiple Partner Relationship” lifestyle? Or any other deviation from the norm?

That is not the way Christ was. He said, Go forth and sin no more." Not “Go forth with no intention of sinning no more and I will forgive you.”
[/quote]

I support their right to see films that they choose to see, I won’t write to Netflix saying how great it is that they carry films, just to offset any hate mail directed towards the Gay community.

[quote=Wondering Waif]I know that they have some gay friendly movies but that doesn’t scare me and I certainly will NOT waste my time writing hate letters about the Gay community.
You shouldn’t either, in my opinion, however, if you do, let me know and I’ll write a letter to support the Gay community to offset yours.
[/quote]

Why on earth would you support Gay Friendly movies by the post you just made? Maybe they don’t scare you, but they sure do scare me to think that our young people may be watching something that is so detrimental to the Sacrament of Matrimony in our world today. Not to mention the sinfulness of this lifestyle. Letters, I’ll write letters you bet!:mad:

[quote=Wondering Waif]I know that they have some gay friendly movies but that doesn’t scare me and I certainly will NOT waste my time writing hate letters about the Gay community.
[/quote]

Whoever said anything about “hate” letters? Let’s see… from your Wal-Mart comments, you don’t respect voluntary agreements and property rights, and from your comments here, you don’t understand Church teachings on sexual morality and why Catholics would disapprove of making certain kinds of films available. Of course, they can make whatever business decision they choose, but we can also voice our disapproval.

So… why are you here?

[quote=Pentecost2005]Whoever said anything about “hate” letters? Let’s see… from your Wal-Mart comments, you don’t respect voluntary agreements and property rights, and from your comments here, you don’t understand Church teachings on sexual morality and why Catholics would disapprove of making certain kinds of films available. Of course, they can make whatever business decision they choose, but we can also voice our disapproval.

So… why are you here?
[/quote]

I am flattered that you looked up my posts! How nice!
I don’t approve of making great profits and not sharing the wealth especially when it comes to health care needs.
I would not initiate a letter writing campaign, I would however write letters to support the right of Netflix to rent these type of movies if the so-called Catholics decided to write hate letters ostensibly against certain movies but in fact letters that attempt to degrade the lifestyles of other folks different from themselves.
Everytime someone starts fretting about Gays I wonder why they’re so obsessed with the issue, until certain posters pipe in
I don’t even think about homosexuality.
Why do you think about Gay people all the time?.

[quote=Honoria20]Why on earth would you support Gay Friendly movies by the post you just made? Maybe they don’t scare you, but they sure do scare me to think that our young people may be watching something that is so detrimental to the Sacrament of Matrimony in our world today. Not to mention the sinfulness of this lifestyle. Letters, I’ll write letters you bet!:mad:
[/quote]

I support the right of Netflix to rent Gay Friendly movies and the right of Gays to watch them.
Why do Gay people scare you, don’t you think that most marriages break up due to heterosexual temptations? Doesn’t that worry you a lot more than the damage that ten percent of the group may do?
What the HECK is this GAY obsession, anyway!?

[quote=Wondering Waif]I support the right of Netflix to rent Gay Friendly movies and the right of Gays to watch them.
Why do Gay people scare you, don’t you think that most marriages break up due to heterosexual temptations? Doesn’t that worry you a lot more than the damage that ten percent of the group may do?
[/quote]

Writing a letter to state your beliefs that movies promoting the gay lifestyle are detrimental to the moral upbringing of youth are not hate letters. We as Christians are charged with upholding the moral structure of society, and are being obedient to our conscience by informing media outlets of the offensive nature of such movies. It does not mean that Christians hate gays. (Love the sinner, hate the sin)

If we were to write letters protesting the violence, sex and abrasive language in movies, would you call that a hate letter, too? Against whom? Liberals?

[quote=Wondering Waif]I support the right of Netflix to rent Gay Friendly movies and the right of Gays to watch them.
[/quote]

The obession began with the Gay’s putting their wants and views in our faces. Parents today have to explain things I did not even know about until I was Married and into my 20’s (Imagine that, growing up and never knowing what a Gay person is) Now a 6 year old “needs” to know why John’s “Mommy’s” are getting married. or the school will read them a “lovely” story about Billy’s two daddy’s. Or watching the news and seeing a bunch of flamboyant gay people at a parade or walking down the street and they are kissing in front of children. This is the obsession as you call, it so be it. As I said many times before “Love the Sinner, hate the Sin” Homosexuals are called to lead a chaste life and to Pray.

[quote=paramedicgirl]Writing a letter to state your beliefs that movies promoting the gay lifestyle are detrimental to the moral upbringing of youth are not hate letters. We as Christians are charged with upholding the moral structure of society, and are being obedient to our conscience by informing media outlets of the offensive nature of such movies. It does not mean that Christians hate gays. (Love the sinner, hate the sin)

If we were to write letters protesting the violence, sex and abrasive language in movies, would you call that a hate letter, too? Against whom? Liberals?
[/quote]

In my opinion, the initial post was calling for hate mail.

Are you trying to tell me that Conservative voters approve of language in movies and violence and sex in movies? I doubt that seriously.

BTW, I don’t know if any of you know what you’re talking about when you say Gay Friendly, I know what movies are labeled Gay Interest and I’ve watched at least one and it didn’t bother me. It was a well done documentary.

If I write a letter it will be to protest the intolerance and lack of understanding from folks like you and to disassociate myself in writing from those of you who spend so much time worrying about Gay Interest movies.

[quote=kaymart]The obession began with the Gay’s putting their wants and views in our faces. Parents today have to explain things I did not even know about until I was Married and into my 20’s (Imagine that, growing up and never knowing what a Gay person is) Now a 6 year old “needs” to know why John’s “Mommy’s” are getting married. or the school will read them a “lovely” story about Billy’s two daddy’s. Or watching the news and seeing a bunch of flamboyant gay people at a parade or walking down the street and they are kissing in front of children. This is the obsession as you call, it so be it. As I said many times before “Love the Sinner, hate the Sin” Homosexuals are called to lead a chaste life and to Pray.
[/quote]

I didn’t know what a Gay person was until I was an adult myself. I didn’t know the facts of life until I was about ten, and yet one of my nieces learned the term “gay” in the playground at age seven.
I share your distress at the fact that kids are now subjected to conversations and information that they don’t really need to have at such a young age, however, that’s the case with heterosexual sex as well, divorce, adultery, language etc and today, a lot of those things appear in even so called family friendly movies.
It seemed to me that the first poster to bring this issue up focused on the GAY thing without batting an eye at all of the
things that are just as bad and more likely to be presented in a movie these days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.