No one can enter Heaven unless by Mary

Clearly ridiculous and contradictory to Christ’s own words:

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6)

Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep…I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved." (John 10:7-9)

Unless, of course there are really two doors!

I saw the same thing. Then, people who questioned the quote all had their comments removed by whomever manages the Facebook page. This is not the first time they have done this. A few months ago they posted a quote that said something like: Because Christ came to earth through Mary, he must rule earth through her.… I was floored when I saw it and had hoped it was a screwup of some kind.

I looked for a way to send a message to the page admin but there was none to be found. I ended up removing my “like” of the page since this A) seems to be an ongoing trend; and B) they remove any comments which question the quotes they post which are accurate in representing Church teaching.

This is the page correct? facebook.com/TheCatholicChurch

My comments were something like this.

It is taking Marian devotion way too far. We have to remember that random quotes from saints do not equal dogmatic teaching of the Church. The Church’s position is that Mary can show you the way to her Son but not that she is required in anyway for us to get to heaven. Many saints taught heterodoxy in their days which is why it is often confusing to figure out what is correct and what is not when examining their writings. One really needs to have a very solid level of comfort with the Catechism before diving into the writings of the saints and the fathers. Even the Church fathers taught things that were later defined as heresy. The problem with placing random quotes from saints which are actually teaching non-orthodox doctrine is that they confuse Catholics who are not well grounded in the teachings of our faith and they also make it easy for others to accuse us of the common stereotypes of marian worship, etc.

The above is an abridged version of my comments which were removed within 5 minutes. When I posted again asking if it was common policy to remove comments, that comment was removed within 1 minute.

That page is VERY dangerous in my view.

Yep, that’s the one.

Did they really post that. :eek: I missed that one.

You know, I think I remember seeing the second one. I was checking the comments once in a while to see if anyone had any good explanations either way (it’s Facebook, of course the answer is no ;)).

This was actually bothering me most of the day (since I saw it this morning). I was trying to grapple with it. I can think of a really in-depth theological idea that can sort of get to that quote (the idea that Jesus came into the world through Mary’s “yes”), but it’s a real stretch.

My worry is that it does a real disservice in terms of evangelization. Even if there is a deep theological explanation, you’re still going to have 9/10 non-Catholic Christians thinking we’re total heretics.

I agree with that completely.

I would also add that you are going to get a number of people who are Catholics messed up as well. All you have to do is look at the comments and see that for yourself. Reading the saints is a great idea. Reading the fathers is a great idea. But one needs to have a very solid grounding in the Catechism first so that they can separate orthodox from heterodox teaching.

This is the website that is listed as a contact on that particular Facebook page. I am considering contacting them about the situation.

ucatholic.com/

For the record, I love our Blessed Mother and I ask for her intercession quite often. I believe that she has a powerful role to play in interceding for us and in leading us to her Son. Her model of acceptance to God’s plan is something that we can all strive for as we try to achieve the crown of sainthood.

Yeah, has anyone found out if this could be a mistranslation or if the page took this out of context?
This is the only thing that can bother me about other Catholics is when they take honoring Mary too far. And, I would think that Mary would be heartbroken if people were kept from Heaven and eternal happiness because of her.
This also goes against what Christ and the Church teaches. When asked how to gain eternal life Christ said to follow the commandments, give up earthly things and follow him. He didn’t introduce the disciple to His mother.

“Jesus is not known as He ought to be because Mary has been up to this time unknown.”
St. Louis De Montfort

A book entitled True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort - which explains the necessity of devotion to Mary is widely available.

If this is a test, in answer to the topic of this thread - I say that true it is that the graces needed to get to Heaven are only available to us by Mary.

In Christ through Mary,
David

The Blessed Mother of God does lead us to her Son, but I think saying that no one can enter Heaven unless by her is stretching it. I’m thinking that maybe St. Bonaventure tried to explain that the Blessed Mother is a powerful intercessor for us to her Son, but I can’t see Our Lady being a “door” as is her Son.

Confused Catholic here. Lol.

bold emphasis mine.

I am unaware of any doctrine by the Church which teaches what you describe.

dioceseoftyler.org/documents/DOGMASONMARYTHEMOTHEROFGOD.pdf
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect2chpt3art9p6.shtml

I don’t know, I’m kind of iffy about that quote :blush: I mean Jesus said He was the only way to Heaven but then again the quote may be out of context. :shrug: I mean don’t get me wrong, I love our Blessed Mother but I don’t know…:blush:

I agree, I unfriended it too.

I decided to contact that website. It is a bit confusing as if you go to the website linked on that Facebook page, they actually link to a different Facebook page than the one who links to them. :confused:

Anyway, this is what I sent them:

*Hello,

I am wondering if this is your Facebook page: facebook.com/TheCatholicChurch?sk=info

My reason for asking is that in recent months, that page has posted a couple of quotes by saints regarding our blessed mother that do not accurately reflect the teaching of the Church regarding her role in our salvation. The first one was several months ago and the quote went something like “because Christ came to earth through Mary he has to rule through her” and today one was posted which states that “no one can enter heaven unless it is by Mary”.

I think it is important to remember that just because one was a saint, a pope, or a Church father, that does not mean that everything they stated or taught was orthodox Catholic doctrine. Many Church fathers taught things that were later defined as heresy by the Church. Many popes have made statements in their personal writings that, when not acting in union with the Magesterium and not teaching in an ex cathedra fashion, were not protected from error by the Holy Spirit.

Many Catholics do not get those differences and placing random quotes from saints that actually teach things which appear heretical is a major problem. It also completely derails conversations with other faith traditions who often accuse Catholics of things such as Mary worship.

I would humbly implore you that if you are indeed the admins of that Facebook page to make a strong effort to ensure that the things which are posted as quotes are actually accurate in their reflection of Church doctrine. There are well over two hundred thousand followers to that page which makes a powerful tool for evangelization. It also makes is a powerful tool to spread incorrect doctrine if it is not managed properly.

The other issue I would ask you to consider is that many comments which attempted to point out the actual teachings of the Church on this issue were removed from that page in short order. This seems to represent some sort of conscious effort to suppress orthodox doctrine or at least to stifle those who would ensure it taught.

If this Facebook page is not yours, you should strongly consider asking them to remove your link from it.

I am very hopeful that you will receive this message in the spirit in which it is intended. I am not trying to be a pain or judge others. I love the Church and her teachings. I love the Blessed Mother a great deal. I simply want to do my part to make sure that the things which are put out in her name are the truth.

Thank you so much for your time and your attention to this matter. God bless you!

Pax Christi,

Jason *

Care to take it one step further and join me in contacting the listed website?

:wink:

ucatholic.com/contact-us/

facebook.com/TheCatholicChurch?sk=wall

That one I knew. As sin entered the world through a women (Eve), so Grace flows through another (Mary, the new Eve).

The Grace comes from God though. EWTN does have an explanation. Like I said, it’s very theologically-deep. You can’t really make a bumper-sticker version of it.

That is part of the problem isn’t it? Trying to distill Catholic theology to short quotes or sound bites is very difficult, and it is easy to create situation like this one, where even Catholics who are grounded in their faith and know their Catechism are reading it and thinking “HUH?”.

“I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.”

When we rely on our own mental understanding we get the things of God wrong. When we have the Gift of Understanding we can see the correct way the Mother of God is included in salvation. It seems that some would denigrate Her because they see a distinction between Jesus and Mary, where one is elevated, the other must be given a lesser place. It is like a see-saw pivoting between ones own understanding and fails to rise any higher than the denigration of one or the other. It certainly fails to attain the elevated truths of God.

Salvation can only come through Jesus. The role of Mary flows from this. Getting Her role in salvation wrong could possibly lead to putting ones salvation in jeopardy in that one has not the Gift of Understanding nor the humility to recognize that they don’t. Isiah 55:9 For as the heavens are exalted above the earth, so are my ways exalted above your ways, and my thoughts above your thoughts.

There is a great deal of controversy as to whether the part I bolded should be translated as She or He and as Her or He.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=564598&highlight=she+shall+crush+the+head

This is obviously not the thread for that discussion but I’m sure it would be welcome in the one I linked.

The graces required to get to Heaven are only available to us by Mary, because Jesus Christ is only accessible to us by Mary.

You aren’t really helping us to understand. I really can’t make heads or tails of what you’re saying (besides throwing out a bunch of nice sounding statements and throwing out a quote from the Bible that I could use to explain nearly any teaching in Catholicism).

Quote? Bible? Catechism? The teachings of Pope hoop0826?

Do you have a quote from the Catechism to support that?

There is no requirement to approach Christ through Mary that I am aware of. In fact, I am pretty darn sure that what you are stating is completely false and actually quite dangerous. However, I am open to having my mind changed if you can provide evidence of this being dogmatically defined by the Church.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=420798&highlight=mary+to+be+catholic

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=103374&highlight=mary+required

Correctomundo. There is none. The word “only” is very problematic.

Hoop0826 16:21 ::smiley:

Now, in a certain context, this is true, but we’d have to know the context. For example, Christ was brought into this world through Mary, without her assent/cooperation, it would not have happened as it did (presumably, God would have found someone else ;)). So by Mary’s cooperation Christ was brought into this world to accomplish our salvation. It’s a bit of a stretch, but one can imagine an argument where in a certain context that statement might have a nugget of truth.

The “only” part is problematic. Roman Catholic theology is very clear that salvation may be open to non-Christians. It would be quite a theological stretch, methinks, to explain how one can only access heaven through Mary if one knows or believes nothing about her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.