"...no one comes to the Father, but through me" (John 14:6)

Good Morning! I am struggling with a few things. I was recently in a discussion with a Protestant about prayer. As a Catholic I have prayed in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit all my life. I was told that I must pray in Jesus Name and His alone. I’m no religious scholar, I only attended Catholic school through the 8th grade, I have no doctrine to back up my argument. I only have my faith. A deep and abiding one…

This event has deeply upset me…in fact I have tears right now as I type. I’m tired of being told I’m not a Christian because I’m Catholic. I’m tired of educating people of other traditions that our church was the first church and that our two thousand year history was not founded after theirs. I’m not only simply tolerant of other Christian traditions, but I enjoy fellowship/worship with them and learning Scripture truths through some wonderful people of God.

Huh? Nothing wrong with praying in the name of the Trinity!

To be Protestant is not to say that Catholics are not Christian. (Sorry for the convoluted syntax.) Some people, however, disagree. Just keep reminding your friend that you believe in the saving grace conferred by the Lord Jesus and are trying to live in a way that will please God by being part of His church.

First off, as you know, there is nothing wrong with the way that you are praying.

Secondly, I am sorry you have encountered this level of frustration. The divisions in Christianity are a heartbreaking thing. It’s good to want to fellowship with other Christians, but if it is causing you this much heartache and trouble, maybe you should select a different group of Christians to hang out with, or perhaps get more Catholic friends.

Third, the only things you can really do is pray for these people who upset you, and study your own faith more. There are a lot of really good resources available.

I assume these Protestants never pray the Lord’s Prayer: “Our Father who art in heaven…” :smiley:

God is one, but He is also Three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Adoration and worship belong to all of them.

Remember that Christ himself said that those who blasphemed him might find forgiveness, but those who hardened their hearts against the Holy Spirit were placing themselves beyond it.

Really, this is just an instance of what a Protestant theologian called “the astonishing theological illiteracy” of most Evangelicals. If you’d spoken to a Pentecostal, they would have probably told you only to pray to the Holy Spirit. :stuck_out_tongue:

This event has deeply upset me…in fact I have tears right now as I type. I’m tired of being told I’m not a Christian because I’m Catholic. I’m tired of educating people of other traditions that our church was the first church and that our two thousand year history was not founded after theirs. I’m not only simply tolerant of other Christian traditions, but I enjoy fellowship/worship with them and learning Scripture truths through some wonderful people of God.

Well, there are some bad apples in every denomination of Christianity. Take comfort in the fact that Christ Himself said: “blessed are you when men revile you for My sake.” :slight_smile:

Jesus said to pray, “our Father” but I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with praying in the name of the Holy Spirit. We only believe in One God so I wouldn’t worry and I don’t know what’s up with your companions.

Jesus simply said, “whatever you ask in my name shall be done for you” so Protestants like to pray to our Father and ask in Jesus’s name. I don’t know why anyone would start a fight over this though.

Looks like your first post? I’m no expert but I think if you hang around here long enough you’ll be able to spin heads with your apologetic wisdom.

Most protestants have no clue what they are protesting. I know - I spent 40 yrs there.

Yeah, we’re essentially clueless.

I don’t think this verse is about prayer, but about salvation. Jesus is the one who died to save us–no one else gives us salvation. The way you are praying is fine. God is one God in three persons, so when we pray, all of the God-head is involved.

I’m sorry you are experiencing these conflicts. Keep praying for your friends, but remember that they are being taught a certain way and accept these teachings as fact. Only the Holy Spirit can bring them enlightenment.

God bless you and I’ll pray for your situation.

Do you have any to which denomination this person claims to be? In any event, I would ask that person what they’re beliefs are and specifically what formula is used for their Baptism. If it isn’t the Trinitarian formula, it’s not Christianity. :slight_smile:

Keep in mind, your beliefs are yours and you have no oweness to prove to anyone what they are and why you believe them. Its not a debate where you are going to be converted. I always make that clear up front!

Stay strong in your faith and as others have mentioned, use this as an opportunity to start to learn even more about the Church and Catholicism! :thumbsup: And I do agree, you will learn a TON here on CAF.

God Bless you!!!

Who said that we must pray in Jesus name? Who is the teacher of this teaching?

You must not be afraid of not knowing a lot! Did Christ not answer the teachers and doctors of the law with questions?

Well, then, try asking him where did his teaching come from! Try asking him why did the Lord say: “Father, glorify your name!” and the Father replied from the heavens: “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” (John 12:28).

Try asking why did the Lord ascend to the Father saying: “Baptize all the nations in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Mt 28:19). He said the name, not the names! One God in Three Persons!

You should then remain firm in the certainty that the Church you belong to has preserved the entirety of the Deposit of Faith inasmuch as nothing taught in her with regards to faith and morals is subject to error.

The same cannot be said of separated Christian ecclesial communities.

You say:

This is not necessarily good. In fact, communicatio in sacris with non-Catholic communities is forbidden to Catholics, and for excellent reasons.

The Holy Office has stated that by participating in non-Catholic worship, Catholics give exterior signs of segregation [from] and disapproval [of the Catholic Church] by unifying themselves with those who disapprove or segregate themselves from the Catholic Church, since participation in liturgical actions constitutes a sign of unity.

In effect, the Holy Office was saying that it is by the very coming together with those who reject the Faith and joining one’s prayer and worship to them that one is participating in worship which is done by those who reject the Catholic Church. To participate with those who reject the faith is therefore forbidden.

With any protestant Christian community, there are errors pertaining to matters of the Faith, and the Holy Office stated that participation in worship is forbidden for the following reasons.

First, there is a danger of perversion of the Catholic Faith, i.e. there is a danger of the loss of Catholic Faith. This indicates the implicit obligation to protect one’s faith.

Second, there is the very danger of participating in a separated rite, for the above mentioned reasons, i.e. the very participation manifests a sign of disunity from the Church by being united in worship with those not united to the Church.

Third, participation in non-Catholic worship is a danger and occasion of scandal. By scandal, we presume the Holy Office meant that participation in such worship can affect the Faith of others who see Catholics involved in such worship.

Finally, by participating in their worship, one confirms in their error separated Christians who are not in unity with the Church.

This prohibition is not presented by these theologians as an ecclesiastical ban. It is not the law of the Church which is traditionally understood to exclude Catholics from taking part in non-Catholic services; it is the divine law, which requires that outward acts of worship be expressive of inward faith. The mere act of sharing the worship of a non-Catholic group, according to the teaching of the theologians cited above, implies a community of religion with that group, and hence constitutes a sin against the faith. This explains why, as Pius XI recalled in the 1928 encyclical Mortalium Animos, ‘[the] Apostolic See has never allowed its subjects to take part in the assemblies of non-Catholics.’

The Second Vatican Council gave its endorsement to work for the unity of Christians in the Decree Unitatis Redintegratio, stating:

In certain circumstances, such as prayers ‘for unity’ and during ecumenical gatherings, it is allowable, indeed desirable that Catholics should join in prayer with their separated brethren.

Does this statement contradict the traditional teaching on communicaio in sacris which has just been outlined? No, for it is not stated that this common prayer must involve Catholics taking part in any prayers others than ones authorised by the Catholic Church and led by her sacred ministers.

These considerations seem to show that the text of Unitatis Redintegratio contains nothing which contradicts the traditional teaching of theologians on communicatio in sacris.

You are already tasting some of the bitterness coming from this custom of worship with separated communities. While these practices may be directed by the Church under certain contexts, it may not be a good idea to just go and attend their services on your own. You may be moved by good reasons, but the consequences may be serious, spiritually speaking. I would also discuss this under spiritual direction, to see why your soul is longing for this. Perhaps instead of placing your faith at risk, you should be discerning whether the Lord calls you to cooperate in legitimate ecumenical efforts of the Church.

I will agree that most that I know are not as educated in their faith as many of you folks who are here on CAF. Its not their fault, its like any other faith …they just learn it growing up perhaps, and never dig deeper including Catholics.

I enjoy the debates & posts here on CAF especially with those Protestants such as you. After all, that is the purpose right!? :slight_smile:

All of them with one exception :smiley:

Please take a look at resources easily available at your fingertips. On YouTube, watch Fr. Larry Richards, Patrick Madrid, Tim Staples, etc. You a;ready believe your faith, now come to KNOW it!

Our Protestant friends, and they do resent us saying it, have 60% - 99% of the truth. It’s the balance that causes the problems and trouble. When Jesus said that he would be with us always, that also means that the truth is in His Church. To me, this Church, with all of it’s sinners, is found only in the Catholic Church.

I am not a protester because I wasn’t there.

Reminds me of an older customer, years ago, who came to my register after I cashed out a young women of apparent Asian heritage, and about 17 years of age. When she walked away, the man stepped up and let out a racial slur and blamed her, not her family, not her ancestors, but this young girl for WWII.
She wasn’t there, either.

It’s not entirely fair to say that “Protestants” do not pray to the Trinity or in the Name of the Trinity. Lutherans have begun all their services “Im Namen des Vaters und des Sohnes und des Heiligen Geistes” since 1525. Anglicans have made use of that formula for many centuries as well - especially in their baptismal service.

Anyway, the last verse of 2 Corinthians may help:

Chapter 13, Verse 14:

“The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.”

This is Trinitarian. The Mass uses this formula often when the priest greets the people at the very beginning.

We ought to pray in Jesus’ name, for it is the name of Salvation - the name which God has placed above every other name, forever. We need not think God is limited to Jesus, however. We can talk to the Holy Spirit and to Jesus Himself, for both persons are God with the Father. Amen.

IMO you should avoid situations that upset you like that. It would not be a sin to avoid persons like that.

Actually, we usually pray to the Father in the name of Jesus. Of course, we pray in the power of the Spirit. :smiley:

But, I recently read a Pentecostal theology book on the Holy Spirit and it covered this issue. Basically, there is nothing wrong with praying to the Holy Spirit, and often in the music we sing the Holy Spirit is being prayed to: "Holy Spirit rain down . . . "

However, I have read material by Fundamentalist Baptists who criticize people who pray to the Holy Spirit, so there are people who don’t like it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.