No One Told Me Taize Had Such Beautiful Music

Are you kidding me?

Laudate Dominum

Ubi Caritas

Nada te Turbe

And much more.

The weird thing is that I sang the above songs and never knew who wrote them.

Do you like the music Taize produces? Are they still writing and singing songs?

[quote="TrueLight, post:1, topic:269855"]
Are you kidding me?

Laudate Dominum

Ubi Caritas

Nada te Turbe

And much more.

The weird thing is that I sang the above songs and never knew who wrote them.

Do you like the music Taize produces? Are they still writing and singing songs?

[/quote]

It is gorgeous, isn't it?

Taizé is not a musical group, but an ecumenical monastic community in Burgundy, France. Here is a link to their site:

taize.fr/en

I've attended Taize healing services at the Episcopal Cathedral.....beautiful.

Not only is their music beautiful, but the ecumenical community is so wonderful to see. I first heard of them from a Catholic in Poland via the web, and I've told other non-Catholics about them.

Thanks for posting those links to their music, TrueLight.

I really enjoy the a cappella settings ...

Magnificat

I'd like to find more like this. Any recommendations? The stuff with flute grates on my nerves. It makes me feel like I'm in an elevator or a funeral parlor.

Their music is so refreshing among today's inspid worship music. [Haugen and you can imagine who else might fall under insipid music.]

It is beautiful and causes me to think of God and long after him. I have always liked Taize and used them in Masses that I could.

Thanks. I am enjoying Laudatate Dominum again. I have liked Taize Kyrie Eleison and his Veni Sancte Spiritus.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Adoremus Te O Christi

I love the Taize music - so simple and yet very beautiful. Simple enough that I have sung them to our children when they were babies to help them fall asleep. But when sung in a group with the four-part harmonies, it is very prayerful.

Ascension Church in Oak Park, IL used to do a monthly Taize evening prayer service - they routinely got a few hundred people, and the music director brought in some really good musicians to accompany the singing. It was magnificent. I usually tried to sing the tenor parts. I credit that with improving my ability to sing. I’m no longer in the Chicago area, and I really miss that!

As to whether they are still composing new music - I don’t know. I think a lot of the more familiar Taize music was composed by Jacques Berthier, who according to Wikipedia died in 1994. But maybe they have other composers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.