...no Roman Catholic can be saved?

We teach the wrong Gospel?

standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/31571

Their entire argument seems hinged on the mistaken presumption that Catholics teach that we can work our way into Heaven. Basically, they’re wrong. We are required to put our faith to work, but it is not the work that saves us,but rather it is Christ’s sacrifice that saves us.

When looking at nonsense like this, always remember: Christ founded -A- Church, singular, and without equal. He gave that church the keys to bind and loose, and the authority to both define and interpret scripture. Whenever you get protestants like this trying to make claims that the church doesn’t follow the scripture, just ask them where the Bible came from. If they have any degree of intellectual honesty, they will have no choice but to admit that the Catholic Church defined the books of the Bible. If they refuse to acknowledge that point, then that’s evidence enough that they are’t seeking Truth, and shouldn’t be taken seriously. If they do admit it, then ask them why they think God would allow them to define it authoritatively, but not interpret it authoritatively.

they obviously don’t know what they don’t know. They base their analysis not on what the Catholic church actually teaches but their own stupid bias. Why are you going to these sites anyways?

The guy that wrote that is from the church of Henry VIII. A church built upon sin. That should tell you all you need to know.

No. We as Catholics and we alone have the Truth of God and practice it properly. That it why Outside the Catholic Church There is No Salvation.

May God bless you and keep you in His Truth! :slight_smile:

Pray for them. It is very easy to learn the truth about the Catholic faith as this ex-atheist did but they for some reason persist in their error without bothering to learn the truth about Catholicism. Then they spread false witness based on their ignorance.

There will be an accounting of this.

I’m not sure how people can logically believe in faith alone from reading the Bible but hey, I guess that’s why the bible says there is no private interpretation of scripture, and why the same St. Paul of Galatians 1:8 that the “reformed” like to bandy about at big bad Rome (they never seem to use “Constantinople” with the same dreadful tones for some reason) told us to hold fast to the traditions we had received via spoken word, and why he called the Church the pillar and ground of truth. Perhaps this is also why the Bishop of Jerusalem told us that faith without words is dead, and that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone (this of course being the only place in the New Testament where “faith alone” appears).

OP why are you reading such drivel if you are new to the faith or haven’t read the Bible as the Ethiopian Eunuch of Acts 8 did, saying "“How can I [know what the scripture means], unless someone guides me?” and making use of a good Catholic commentary?

I take information from a wide range of materials and find it helpful to know what non-Catholics think.

The Stand Firm blog is not drivel, but there are certain contributors who are anti-Catholic.

I sincerely hope that experienced apologists from CA visit them from time to time.

All that and they still don’t get it right? Either about what the church teaches or what the Bible actually says.

I have two blog articles that may help with this.
How Is A Catholic Saved?

Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?

I find it interesting how protestants have to give long-winded explanations on why they believe the Catholic Church is wrong. Truth speaks for itself. If the Catholic Church was wrong you wouldn’t need to explain it; or you would be able to explain why it’s wrong in one sentence. I have a rule for articles like this: if it’s trying to discredit the Catholic Church and it’s refers to the Catholic Church as the “Roman Catholic Church” it goes straight into the trash.:smiley:

I would suggest that you listen to this talk:
Sola Fide - Salvation By Faith Alone?
Then this one:
Sola Scriptura - The Bible Alone?
And decide on what is the truth.

Both from the Bible Christian Society.
Good solid Catholic teaching and understanding.

I wold also say that reading articles like the one you cited is a good idea if you are concerned with catholic Apologetics so you can get a good feeling for what it is Protestants teach. Then study the Catholic answers to these issues and be prepared at all time to defend your faith. But be cautious you do not begin to believe what you read. The whole and real truth of the Gospels and the teaching of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are found in their completeness only in the Catholic Church.

God bless…

Where has the Reformation gone in 500 years. 35,000 different churches. All with different interoperations fighting each other. So the Holy Spirit provided 35,000 different interpretations of the Bible.

This long-winded fellow from the given website seems to think he has hit on some kind of defining idea on justification that blows the Catholic Church out of the water. It’s generally a big yawn to me. This fellow could easily read the documents and catechism of the Catholic Church to see where he is astray but he jumps to the same old anti-Catholic conclusions. No, Catholics do not believe in salvation by works but believe salvation is through grace. Anyway I will leave the nuances of this doctrine to smarter men.

But I will say that any such pompous arguments from protestants who declare Catholicism in error must be met full on with the fact of Protestantism’s radical departure from scripture and in its rejection of Holy Spirit inspired early Church practice and apostolic teaching.

It MUST be accepted as an historical fact that the entire early Church was Real Presence Eucharistic in its faith gatherings. Most good protestant scholars would even agree on this. And so we MUST conclude that Real Presence Eucharistic truth was given by the apostles who got it straight from Jesus. And this edifies John 6 in its obvious meaning that we MUST eat His body if we want life in us. His life!

This to me is the argument that makes all reformation theology moot. Or at least certainly shows it is NOT from God. There will be some Protestants who realize that they must obfuscate church history and the secular historical record on the earliest of Church practice but this is the last resort of a failed movement.

To me, and to many Catholic converts, the reality of the Real Presence Eucharistic early Church is the scalpel that separates the cancer of Protestant confusion from the healthy tissue of the real faith - the Catholic faith - which IS that of the apostolic, Holy Spirit-guided early Church.

Hello Richard,

I see that you have the belief that one must be in the Catholic church for salvation and thought I’d share with you the reason for the hope that lies within me. I’m not Catholic, but I have a deep faith in Jesus Christ, trusting in Him for my salvation.

Years ago I came to the realization that I was lost in my sins which separated me from God. I heard the gospel of Jesus Christ and came to believe in Him, that He took the punishment for my sins on the cross, was buried and rose again. In a nutshell that gospel message can be found here:

Romans 3:21-26 – “But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.”

| needed to repent and continue to live a life of repentance to the day I die. When I stumble, I can confess my sins to Christ, our High Priest. I rely on the promises of God in His word to help me and keep me in the faith. He continues to forgive me when I stumble: " 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

I know there are many who believe Once Saved Always Saved, but I believe that one must stay in the faith and continue to love Jesus and keep His word.

John 14: 23, 24 – “Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.”

I hope this will help you to understand that there are people of faith in Christ that are not in the Catholic church.

I believe that I was saved about 2,000 years ago. I believe that that applies to each and every one of us who accepts that as truth.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

:signofcross:

Wow. You don’t look a day over 1,500. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi catlady,

Christ’s provision for our salvation certainly took place about 2000 years ago and I’m wondering if that’s what you mean. We are lost in our sin until we repent and believe in Christ, trusting in Him for our salvation. And then we we need to continue in the faith, persevering until we pass from here to eternity with Him.

Why, thank you, Randy Carson!!:wink:

Hello Catlady,

In following your line of reasoning;
If you are among the predestined to heaven, you was saved at that point when you was elected to heaven “According to the foreknowledge of God the Father” (1 Pet.1:1-2).
Time of God’s election: “Before founding of the world” (Eph.1:4), “Before times eternal” (2 Tim.1:9).
From the point of your election, your salvation was as certain as God is alive.

Catholic Encyclopedia. The predestination of the elect.
Quote: “Consequently, the whole future membership of heaven, down to its minutest details, has been irrevocably fixed from all eternity.
Nor could it be otherwise. For if it were possible that a predestined individual should after all be cast into hell or that one not predestined should in the end reach heaven, then God would have been mistaken in his foreknowledge of future events; He would no longer be omniscient.” End quote.

God bless.

Christian

LOL.

:tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.