No Surprise: Chris Christie Re-elected As New Jersey Governor

“Christie was re-elected with widespread support from men, women, independents, members of his own party, and even three in 10 Democrats, according to CBS News exit polls.”

My Commentary: As many polling firms indicated, Christie won re-election in a landslide. Many analysts discussed as a measuring stick for his 2016 White House aspirations.

Christie even garnered about “30% of the democratic base,” according to CBS, which is an even higher percentage than Reagen got in 1984. Fox News reported earlier today in exit polls during the day that Christie was leading women by about nine points and had about 45% of the Hispanic vote, slightly more than Bush in 2004.

Source: cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57610977/no-surprise-chris-christie-re-elected-as-new-jersey-governor/

Every time Republicans choose a compromise candidate hoping to win some Democrat votes, when election day comes Democrats vote Democrat, and it only serves to divide the conservative base. This combined with voter fraud and the debates being fixed with the moderator on Obama’s side is how Obama won twice.

Chris Christie is a long shot for president. Conservative have a long memory of how he gave Obama so many photo-ops last election cycle. It may have won him brownie points as a liberal’s favorite conservative, but it won’t bring him far with grass-roots Republicans.

He deserves full credit for what he has done in New Jersey though.

That theory doesn’t work all the time. Call them what you want but Nixon and Reagan both won with Democratic votes. Just saying.

Apart from his moral encouragement after Super Storm Sandy, what precisely has Chris Christie done in New Jersey for the economy, for the creation of jobs, for education, and so on? According to what I’ve read, not much. He has a great, charismatic personality, a big heart, knows how to be a leader in an emergency as well as how to compromise with the Democrats, and is really a conservative on the social issues. I suppose that suffices.

He’s also been a very conservative governor who always says what he thinks, even if it doesn’t help the Party overall. That’s a huge plus in my book. Everyone should be putting country above Party, so I’m really excited about him running :).

I am not sure what to think about all of this. I am just curious: What is his position on “gay marriage”?

He vetoed a bill approved by the legislature last year to legalize the practice. When a trial-level judge ruled last month that the state must allow same-sex couples to wed, Christie appealed that ruling to the state Supreme Court.

The high court agreed to take up the case but unanimously refused to delay the start of gay weddings in the meantime, saying the state had little chance of prevailing in its appeal. And just hours after gay couples began exchanging vows on Monday, Christie announced that he was withdrawing his appeal.

The decision makes New Jersey the 14th state to legalize gay marriage.

Advisers to the governor said that in dropping the appeal, Christie stayed true to his principles.

“Although the governor strongly disagrees with the court substituting its judgment for the constitutional process of the elected branches or a vote of the people, the court has now spoken clearly as to their view of the New Jersey Constitution and, therefore, same-sex marriage is the law,” Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak said in a statement.

Some Republicans wanted Christie to fight harder.

lowellsun.com/ci_24359810/chris-christie-gay-marriage-move-stirs-gop.html

Chris Christie won the votes of 57% of Hispanic voters, 21% of Black voters, 57% of women voters, 49% of votes from voters between 18-29, 32% of Democrat voters

nytimes.com/projects/elections/2013/general/new-jersey/exit-polls.html

How about the idea that he won because a majority of voters supported him?

Likewise Christie won yesterday for the same reason.

The OPs post from the article seems to disprove your theory.

I’m not a fan of his. And I don’t think he has a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected POTUS. Just because I agree with him on SOME things doesn’t mean I support him.

Chris Christie did indeed praise Pres. Obama out of Christian courtesy and respect for the office of the President of the United States. There is no denying that according to our American way of life, being charitable is a admirable virtue. He was not playing politics while people were suffering in need of all the help they could get. People who are blind to common decency are also blind to the reality of our common bond in this country. Christie won the governorship for being a good an decent man with lots of common sense and moxie. He could very easily win the presidency next time around. what he personifies is what people are thirsting for regardless of party affiliations. Let the press do their worst, Christie is up for the challenge.

I just hope that he has a firm position on the issue of “gay marriage” if he ends up on the presidential ballot. I refuse to vote for someone who supports the legal recognition of same-sex unions such as “civil unions”, “domestic partnerships”, and “gay marriage”.

He doesn’t support them but I don’t know if that’s the best criterion to vote on. The Supreme Court has already stated that it’s up to the states. The president is not going to overturn that.

I really hope he runs. I recently declared my self unenrolled or whatever the term is so I’ll be able to vote in the Rupublican primary. He will get my vote unless something horrible about him comes to light.

You definitely have a point when you talk about it being up to the states. But what about other more minor issues that might come up regarding sexual orientation such as the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. As far as that act goes, I haven’t formulated a good opinion on it by the way. My point is that if he leans toward supporting “gay marriage” then he would be more likely to sign bills into law that further the immoral part of the “gay rights” agenda.

Remember: Reagan (may God rest his soul-voted for him twice for president) passed the, at the time, most sweeping pro-abortion law in the country as governor. He was a populist, pro-life, no baloney candidate/president, though. Christie may be that again.

NB: Christie is not my first choice. But (and I am embarrassed to admit it in hindsight) neither was RR.

We’ll see. :slight_smile:

Anybody but Hillary. TM

Some reflections on the Virginia and New Jersey elections

That was a different time. Back then there we’re socially conservative blue collar Democrats. By now those folks have either died or joined the Republican Party (or left the Dems). We live in a new era of nearly majority entitlement receiving voters. This does not bode well for the GOP as the Democrats are working to add to their coalition of “takers”. What might do them in is their incompetence (Obamacare anyone?) and bankruptcy of their ideas.

Ishii

Interesting read. Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.