No Surprise: Chris Christie Re-elected As New Jersey Governor

I don’t think Christie ever supported abortions though.

0 Likes

I’m not sure whether I would support Christie over some other Repub or not. I won’t vote for an abortion-minded Democrat, period.

I’m not sure what, exactly,makes him as popular as he is, particularly among those who ordinarily don’t vote for Republicans.

Possibly it’s because he comes across as an adult; a serious person, which is a lot more than can be said about the current occupant of the white house or, indeed, some of the potential Repub contenders.

0 Likes

Whoever runs better run as conservative. Trying to appeal to democrats as some sort of democrat-lite never ever works. The dems will alsways go for the real thing. Always. Why would a person vote for a nutra-sweet version of one’s liberal beliefs? the democrat will ALWAYS out-democrat the Republican.

0 Likes

I think Republicans should try to appeal to democrats, and try to win democrats vote, but without sacrificing conservative principals

0 Likes

I agree that if Christie runs, he should run as a conservative. But the main reason, I think, is that he IS a conservative.

0 Likes

I hope that Christie gets the Republican nomination. That way we will get a good chance at the White House. IMHO if a tea party candidate gets the nomination we will be gauranted another Democrat. The majority of Americans are not so radical as the tea party.

I noticed that last night not a single tea party candidate won.

Normal Republican, thank you so much. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I think when they realize that a sitting Republican Senator hasn’t won the White House since Wilson in 1920, it will come down to Christie or Bush.

0 Likes

Republican conservative, thanks so much. :smiley:

We tried the moderate Republican thing the last 2 presidential elections. How did that worked out? :wink:

0 Likes

Jeb Bush? He’s too competent. But it would be a delicious race: Bush vs. Hillary.

0 Likes

Don’t overlook the extremely conservative running mates they chose, though. McCain, with his knowledge of foreign matters, should have beaten Obama.

0 Likes

Not well, but if Christie gets the same % of voting demographics that he did in NJ, he won’t need big TEA PARTY turnout to win.

32% of the democrat base…stunning.

Good to see you on here again! :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I think that was the idea, but then the economy turned for the worst.

It didn’t help either that he was fumbling over using a computer while in election day young voters were dedicating their facebook statuses to voting for Obama.

0 Likes

He is a social conservative on all the main issues.

0 Likes

What it comes down to for me is who can win (the bar here should be who can beat Hilary Clinton) and who will do the least amount of damage.

If you look Christie, can he turn out the base? Or does he need to turn out the base?

If you look at Cruz, his numbers aren’t great even with the democrats getting oversampled, but I don’t think Latinos and Asians will go 3:1 dem if there’s a tired, old, scandal-ridden Hilary on the ticket who is portrayed as the baggage lady of an era long forgotten with ObamaCare and hyperinflation knocking.

The best thing for the GOP would be to have a variety of candidates. Not one establishment guy we basically know will get it in the end and seven different pure conservatives who fight each other and the last man standing is a misrepresented, misunderstood candidate.

0 Likes

I judge it by whether the Pro-Abortion/SSM secular media likes him or hates him. And it seems like the secular media likes him.

0 Likes

So Reagan won in 1980 & '84 by landslides. On what issues does the Tea Party differ from the conservative Reagan agenda of the 80’s?

Ishii

0 Likes

So you’ll only support someone if they’re prone to drawing bad press to themselves? That seems like a very poor political decision.

0 Likes

Wilson was a Republican senator who won in 1920?? :eek:

Actually it was Harding. And he was the first incumbent senator to win the presidency. I don’t think that being a sitting senator counts one out necessarily: but certainly governors have more executive experience and can point to concrete accomplishments as governor - such as presiding over a strong state economy, improvement on state’s finances, crime, education, etc. Senators vote on things. Big difference. Democrat senators have been elected - Kennedy, Obama, e.g.

There is no reason why a Rubio or a Rand Paul can’t win the presidency - whether they are senators or not.

Ishii

0 Likes

I like Jeb Bush - but I doubt the country’s desire for a 3rd president from the same family. I also don’t understand your comment that Bush is “too competent.”

Ishii

0 Likes

Not so sure about that - after 8 years of Bush, bad economy, war weariness, “the 1st black president” etc, McCain was at a disadvantage no matter who he picked for VP. He rolled the dice and lost. But I admire the fact that he took a chance.

Ishii

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.